Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on installing some amplifiers/amps in the spare tire well and want to know if any pictures exist on this forum showing this type of install.

I would like to install 3 Amplifiers and 1 Capacitor. The set up would consist of two (2) Genesis Dual Mono Extremes (DMX), one (1) Genesis Dual Mono (Older Version Series II [DM200]), and one (1) Brax Capacitor.

Of course, due to the confined space and the potential for heat, I will have to vent the area.

1 DMX = Front Stage
1 DMX = Rear Fill
1 DM200 = Sub Amp.

Dynaudio Speaker throughout.

I will likely instal a stealthbox and replace the JBL speaker. If anyone has a stealthbox for sale, please let me know.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Not too much. Just pulled the spare tire. Used the existing bracket for the tire as under support. Made a template out of cardboard, then cut the wood.

The hardest part was stripping the whole car down to metal and running the RCA's and the Center Channel speaker wires down the center of the car. The box was custom made out of fiberglass. If you are going to attempt the same...you will really need to Dynamat the rear fender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing pictures of your set up. I really like how you incorporated the subwoofer in the side storage bin/panel. Did you need a capacitor?
I know I will have to install fans and like the way you did your fan installation. What company makes those fans? In addition, I’m thinking of installing a full carpet set from South Coast Accessories, so I know I will need to have holes cut out for the fan locations.

·
1,049 Posts

I wouldn't waste your cash on a cap. Just buy an extra battery like the stinger and you will have all the power you need.

They make one for the Honda/Acuras in our size.

Check out my system and I don't run any caps. and I have only 2 stinger batts.

BTW, I have ZERO power issues.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Caps are a waste of money, it has been proven over and over they do nothing. I read a test on caps on DIYmobile and a guy tested a 1 farad and a 100 farad system. The 1 farad powered a 12 volt 35watt light bulb for less than 1 second, the 100 only lasted about 15 seconds, at the calculated normal 500 watts people run, there is no benefit at all, and it has been show by many top spl guys they actually hurt power travel to the amps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. Caps are built to quickly discharge energy and quickly recharge. This keeps your lights from dimming when the bass hits. With 1000 watts when you have the current draw from the amp on the battery they do not have the chance to recharge with the alternator as quickly as the amp will pull the current. The cap works as a buffer to be able to let the battery keep charged while giving the amp the current that they need.

The reason SPL guys do not use them is becuase they are usually using 16V batteries and need to pull all of the current for one burp to getthe number they need. They are not running the system to actually listen to music on or drive, so they can afford to drain the battery while it burps.

Rule of thumb is 1/2 Farad of Capacitance for 500 Watts.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Rule of thumb is 1/2 Farad of Capacitance for 500 Watts.
This is a very old rule of thumb. I agree with insane sc, they really have no place in todays modern systems. I haven't recently saw a cap fix a light diming problem, however I have seen a good battery (not some pos Optima) resolve the issue and improve system performance.

·
1,049 Posts
hannon said:
I have to respectfully disagree. Caps are built to quickly discharge energy and quickly recharge. This keeps your lights from dimming when the bass hits. With 1000 watts when you have the current draw from the amp on the battery they do not have the chance to recharge with the alternator as quickly as the amp will pull the current. The cap works as a buffer to be able to let the battery keep charged while giving the amp the current that they need.

Disagree all you want but I will take real world info from reputable people who work with stereo systems everyday as well as my own experience with my own system.

Again, I say look at my system. I run 8 amps and over 4500 watts. Yet I have ZERO caps and only 2 stock size batteries. I also have a stock alternator. A good battery is better then 1000 caps.

·
Registered
877 Posts

Disagree all you want but I will take real world info from reputable people who work with stereo systems everyday as well as my own experience with my own system.

Again, I say look at my system. I run 8 amps and over 4500 watts. Yet I have ZERO caps and only 2 stock size batteries. I also have a stock alternator. A good battery is better then 1000 caps.

If thats not the truth, I don't know what is. I would definitely put more money into wiring and batteries and $0 on caps.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm just curious, where do you put the second battery and did you just daisy chain them together?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts