Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003, Honda Element, Orange
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone :)

We've been traveling and exploring the West Coast in our Honda Element for about two years now. We're headed to Arizona tomorrow! We'll be exploring, living, eating and sleeping from the comfort of our beautiful Element. We're going for a week or two and will be documenting our journey to YouTube so that those of you who have been thinking about doing the same thing can see what its like to #vanlife in a Honda Element. My wife is from San Diego but I'm South African so it will be my first time in AZ. Headed to Payson, Prescott, Flagstaff and hopefully we can explore the Grand Canyon and even Lake Powell - it looks beautiful!

Do you guys have any recommendations for places to visit in Arizona?

I'll be checking this thread the whole time we are there! Thanks so much and Stay safe!

❤ Our home on wheels ❤

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There are so many great places in AZ. I spent a week there and put 2,500 miles on the car. I would strongly recommend going to Sedona and doing one of the pink Jeep tours. I thought that was awesome. I'm into ghost towns, so I had a book listing their locations. Searching those out made for some fun off road adventure.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
If you haven't seen it in person, the Grand Canyon - about 1 hour from Phoenix. It makes every man-made "attraction" look insignificant in comparison.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are so many great places in AZ. I spent a week there and put 2,500 miles on the car. I would strongly recommend going to Sedona and doing one of the pink Jeep tours. I thought that was awesome. I'm into ghost towns, so I had a book listing their locations. Searching those out made for some fun off road adventure.
Oh, man! I am definitely adding Sedona to the list! Looks fantastic - thanks for the recommendation! Ive only been in one Ghost town. It was in Namibia, on the west coast of Africa, called Kolmanskop. You should check out some images online its eerie! Is there a specific Ghst town in AZ I should visit? I'll have a look online too. Here is an image of Kolmanskop:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you haven't seen it in person, the Grand Canyon - about 1 hour from Phoenix. It makes every man-made "attraction" look insignificant in comparison.
I cannot wait to see the Grand Canyon! I hear the rim hikes have reopened, so that's a priority for us!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Oh, man! I am definitely adding Sedona to the list! Looks fantastic - thanks for the recommendation! Ive only been in one Ghost town. It was in Namibia, on the west coast of Africa, called Kolmanskop. You should check out some images online its eerie! Is there a specific Ghst town in AZ I should visit? I'll have a look online too. Here is an image of Kolmanskop:

View attachment 203881 View attachment 203882
I would say go to Tombstone. It's not abandoned but it's a pretty cool representation of the Wild West. There was a good amount of stuff to see there. Nearby are several ghost towns you can stop to check out on your way in or out of Tombstone. Here's a site I found helpful. Ghost Towns of Arizona - Arizona ghost towns with history, pictures, and location If you search by county, Tombstone is in Cochise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would say go to Tombstone. It's not abandoned but it's a pretty cool representation of the Wild West. There was a good amount of stuff to see there. Nearby are several ghost towns you can stop to check out on your way in or out of Tombstone. Here's a site I found helpful. Ghost Towns of Arizona - Arizona ghost towns with history, pictures, and location If you search by county, Tombstone is in Cochise.
I am so excited right now. You just added some secret spice to this trip! Cannot wait to see these towns! Yes!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jerome... it's kinda near Prescott and Sedona but since it's up a very curvy road from Prescott you'd be better off going to it from the east (Cottonwood) side. It's a super cool old town that is now kind of an Arts Place.
Strawberry and anywhere near there, beautiful in the spring and much cooler in the summer.
Williams, Oatman, anything along Route 66.
And if you're willing to go just a few miles out of Arizona, search for and go to Mokee Dugway. It's near "Mexican Hat" and requires a tough dirt road switchback to the top but WELL WORTH IT ! You'll be able to see, from several thousand feet up, lots of the Monument Valley area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We visited the Phoenix area in Feb. The temp was in the 70's, just ideal. Went to Meteor Crater which was awesome. The view from top is spectacular. The visitor's center has been upgraded with new stuff and they have a great gift shop. Nearby is Winslow, AZ and if you're an Eagles (the band) fan, you'd probably like to stand "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" like Glen Fry sang about. They have a neat little corner park with bronze statues and even a Flat Bed Ford. We got a far-off glimpse of the Painted Desert on our way, it was beautiful. Take lots of water on the drive, it'll be hot this time of year, & have a nice trip!

·
Registered
40 Posts
A long time ago, a friend and I celebrated a significant birthday in Sedona, staying in Oak Creek Canyon. Sedona is interesting; its the only place I've ever been where every strip mall had at least one art gallery. I loved a short hike in Oak Creek Canyon - water down the middle (we were there in Nov), cool, and very beautiful.

More recently, my wife and I spent some time in Phoeniz/Scottsdale. We went to the Frank Lloyd propety (Taliesin West). Very beautiful and very interesting - don't know how they would handle tours now....

and about two years ago we stayed in Tuscon for about a week. I like Tucson. We went up into a canyon park (ride up, walk down). As you gained elevation, the flora and fauna changed. Lots of sugaro cactus... We also went up Mt Lemon - fun little trip. also visited the Desert Botanical Garden (think that's right).

More recently some time in Green Valley, south of Tucson. Visited a VERY old mission and did a hike up into a near by canyon.
Lots to see. Not sure about the heat right now.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
+1 for Jerome, AZ. My favorite way to visit Arizona is to fly into Phoenix, rent a motorcycle, and ride the eastern twisty route up to Sedona.

Spend an evening or two in Sedona, and then continue counterclockwise down to Jerome. Spend one evening there, and then back to Phoenix.

An RV driver once said to me, "I hate driving this rig around Jerome. It's like someone found a cat on a ledge, kicked the cat off, and built a town."

A beautiful, mountainous, artsy town. A little more touristy now than 10 years ago, but still great.

·
Registered
6 Posts

We've been traveling and exploring the West Coast in our Honda Element for about two years now. We're headed to Arizona tomorrow! We'll be exploring, living, eating and sleeping from the comfort of our beautiful Element. We're going for a week or two and will be documenting our journey to YouTube so that those of you who have been thinking about doing the same thing can see what its like to #vanlife in a Honda Element. My wife is from San Diego but I'm South African so it will be my first time in AZ. Headed to Payson, Prescott, Flagstaff and hopefully we can explore the Grand Canyon and even Lake Powell - it looks beautiful!

I'll be checking this thread the whole time we are there! Thanks so much and Stay safe!

❤ Our home on wheels ❤
View attachment 203871
Yes. Just east of flagstaff off the 40 on south side is Walnut Canyon where you should be able to camp. It’s been open. There’s an overlook to view the hidden ancient Pueblo cliff dwellings.

Also farther East on the 40 is Meteor Crater which might be open soon.
There are several campgrounds on the 17 heading south to Sedona that are open. Friends are there now at Willard Spring. Free camping!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts

❤ Our home on wheels ❤

Definitely Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff, The massive Meteor Crater site, Jerome, Prescott, Lake Powell, and honestly check the below websites for many cool ideas. Lived and mountain biked around Arizona for two years. Now is a decent time as it will not be "too" hot as it can get way hot out there, lol. Good luck, have fun, safe travels...

GRock

·
Registered
15 Posts
We just did a trip from Chicago to Phoenix and back in mid-April. We came down through Payson and that whole area in the Tonto Forest is beautiful! If you make it a bit more south-west of Phoenix, there's a great hot spring that you could also camp at called El Dorado. Oasis in the Desert | El Dorado Hot Springs The website is rough, but it really is a neat place. Check out the pictures on google maps for a better idea of what it is.
As for food (again in the Phoenix area), if they've opened up, Barrio Cafe has amazing mexican food and Salt Cellar has some of the best seafood I've had in a desert. The place is completely underground, so when you pull up, it looks weird. It's pricey, so what we do is sit in the bar and order the Shrimp San Remo with bread for dipping when you finish the shrimp.
That's all I have. I'm looking forward to checking out your videos and pics. Just followed you on the gram (I'm operationfun) and about to head over to youtube. Travel safely! Have fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts