1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
161 Posts
i think i might order some for my element, just not the part that says subaru! those are cool! why not?

update,

gotta have your subaru vin number to order... bummer. they are cool!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
WOW, I want that in Element form!!!

Honda, it's okay if you rip off this idea from Subie, we don't mind...

·
Registered
174 Posts
That is an awesome idea from Subaru. It does not excuse turning the Forrester into an SUV, ruining the racks on the Outback, and other silly things they have done to trash the lineup in recent years - but still cool.

I also sense a business opportunity here for someone to start selling generic versions of these emblems for any make and model.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That is an awesome idea from Subaru. It does not excuse turning the Forrester into an SUV, ruining the racks on the Outback, and other silly things they have done to trash the lineup in recent years - but still cool.

I also sense a business opportunity here for someone to start selling generic versions of these emblems for any make and model.
All due respect-the only reason I finally purchased a Forester is BECAUSE they turned it into an SUV- though I admit I liked the styling of the '03-08's the best.

Anyhow- I just ordered my Subaru Lifestyle badge and was #41726!- They need a few more choices-like photography, yard sale/flea market, shooting sports, archery. I think Honda should do something similar-except the badge pictures should be little cubes with the "contents" sticking out the top.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I will check at work today what kind of badges I can find that would be something similar and then get some idea of pricing. Maybe we can get these made up and available through the EOC store. I work at a sign shop and we have vendors that produce these kinds of sticker/badges for us a lot. We would just need to come up with the designs of each badge.

I like the idea of square shapes to fit with the E. Maybe more road sign like for each little badge.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yea! I so in on some of this :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
showed my niece in Boston this link... (she has a subie)

she ordered them today... they are free to subie owners...

now if i can just find a friend with a subie that doesn't want the stickers...

hmmmmm.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very cool, but not as necessary for Element owners as they don't die as soon and you could still be on your first one. My Subie died at 100,000.....piece o crap.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a Forester & an E (sorry previous poster- as a general rule Subaru's are not 'pieces of crap') - received my badges the other day, along with my issue of DRIVE magazine-with an ad for the free badges. Honda should do something along the same lines, with more options. Hunting/shooting, archery, home improvement, college dorm(just kidding).:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
cadillac does this... if you buy a new caddie from the dealership... they ask you how many (or should/used to) it is and they put a much more shiny emblem on the front grill.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Forester & an E (sorry previous poster- as a general rule Subaru's are not 'pieces of crap') - received my badges the other day, along with my issue of DRIVE magazine-with an ad for the free badges. Honda should do something along the same lines, with more options. Hunting/shooting, archery, home improvement, college dorm(just kidding).:grin:
Hi previous poster. Not sure how old your Forester is, or whether you were one of the lucky ones, but all the Outback 2.0 L engines from '98 through '02 were known to have faulty head gaskets which Subaru would not stand behind. Mine bit the dust with just over 100,000 miles. Fixed the head gasket problem (a mere $2200) and the block was cracked microscopically -- couldn't be seen by the mechanic, couldn't be mri'd because it is aluminum as so many are nowadays. So yeah, it was a piece of crap. I'll never buy another. YMMV.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi previous poster. Not sure how old your Forester is, or whether you were one of the lucky ones, but all the Outback 2.0 L engines from '98 through '02 were known to have faulty head gaskets which Subaru would not stand behind. Mine bit the dust with just over 100,000 miles. Fixed the head gasket problem (a mere $2200) and the block was cracked microscopically -- couldn't be seen by the mechanic, couldn't be mri'd because it is aluminum as so many are nowadays. So yeah, it was a piece of crap. I'll never buy another. YMMV.
Thanks for the info. We've been looking for another Coupe to replace our Accord and have been holding out for news on the Toyota/Subaru collaboration. Is it just those years that are bad or is it because of the Boxer design in general stressing the unsupported head at the gasket?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Subaru had major problems with two groups of engines -The 2.0L engines mentioned above and the 98-02 2.5L naturally aspirated engines in the Forester and Impreza. I belong to Subaruforester.org and the number a gasket failures dropped significantly following changes in 2003 and even more since 2007. The 2010 N/A engine finally has a multi-shim head gasket
which is now able to be used in replacing the older design. The 2.5L engines are NOT known for block issues. I'm hopeful that my 2009 provides many, many miles of proper service. The biggest drawback to the N/A engine is the 105,000 mile timing belt & components change $$.
FYI-the turbo engines use a closed deck design as will the newly designed 2011 2.5L N/A engine which also switches to DOHC and a timing chainlike the turbo models.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The headgasket leak is a common and well known/documented problem as mentioned earlier. I've had a leak in the head gasket of my wife's '03 Forester 2.5.
It has been a pretty good car and otherwise trouble free for 100k miles. She loves it.....but I'll stick w/ my E!

I fixed it,(a royal PITA btw!) but I'm not sure how long it will last. I generally put up with the old "Superpoo" so she won't insist on buying a new one!

Someone a Honda should follow Subaru's lead on this one w/ the badges....I'd bet there are many more loyal Honda owners out there!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The only problem with Honda's are they don't fail like subies so you don't replace them as often.

My uncle has had subie legacy wagons for as long as the model has been alive. They may have skipped the bad years as he would keep it until the doors fell off before getting a new one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts