Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can suggest a way to remove scuffs or scratches from the plastic side panels on the E?

·
Registered
150 Posts
[quote:8cc40791a0="ropedart"]Please check back about 4 months back. Well discussed and fixed. :lol:[/quote:8cc40791a0]

I was told by a detailer that steel wool works. i am afraid to try it. :shock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would also be careful with buffing. Our element got some scratches on the plastic when we took it into Honda for service. So the dealership said they could remove the scratches. Whoever did the work must have used a buffer and now we have some smooth spots on the plastic. In one spot, it even looks like they held the buffer in one spot too long and it begane to melt the plastic.

They are now going to order us a new fender and front end.

·
Registered
150 Posts
so, there is no way to safely remove scratches from plastic that is textured?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure. Ropedart said that this was covered in the forums once before but he did not mention which thread and I have not been able to find it yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Forget fixing the scratch... You can body the panel for around 60 dollars.... Just change the whole thing... Thats what im going to do if i ever get a big enough scratch that would bug me...

·
Registered
150 Posts
[quote:b8fe6028f4="MrCLoWnY"]Forget fixing the scratch... You can body the panel for around 60 dollars.... Just change the whole thing... Thats what im going to do if i ever get a big enough scratch that would bug me...[/quote:b8fe6028f4]

Funny you should say that. I was just talking to someone and I realized that if i got in an accident, or did any kind of damage to the exterior plastic, that I could replace it pretty cheap. NO PAINTED PANELS exist where most damage can occur!

SMART THINKING HONDA!!! :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't use a buffer! It makes things worse. You can use a mild solvent like paint thinner or mineral spirits. Some have used lacquer thinner but I think thats too strong. Apply sparingly with a cloth.

To hide deeper scratches or scuffs I use Mothers Back to Black. Some people use this directly to begin with. When Back to Black eventually wears off the scratch may reappear so I start with the solvent. You'll notice water will not remove scratches. Cheaper and simpler than repainting. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts