Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I've looked at them, and read good things about them. For backyard grilling or bbq they are good option, if you can afford one. Not exactly a camping option, though, unless you mount one on a custom trailer. Do you think we can convince HC to add one to her teardrop?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
My neighbor has one is an advid BBQ'r - please realize there is a difference between Grilling and Bar-B-Q'g
This thing produces a great end result - plus you can bake in it

There are different sizes to, but even the smallest one weighs 30lbs
Not sure I need or really want one though

·
Registered
4,214 Posts

My ears were burning....

Friends of mine had one and we grilled many meals on it/in it. Hubby got it in the divorce.

Wife bought a Weber. She's an excellent cook so if she thought the Egg were worth it she'd have bought one or kept the marital Egg.

Don't recall the food being any tastier or faster than a garden-variety Weber. Never saw the appeal. Certainly never saw the value.

It certainly would be striking towed behind a teardrop.

:)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
$600 is the low end for these types of grills. Do a search for Kamado grills. Some out there are $2000 or more. Have a friend who has a big Kamado grill. Even cooks real Italian style pizza in it - the kind you can't cook without a real wood fired pizza oven normally.

Rolls Royce of Grills.

http://www.kamado.com/

·
Registered
394 Posts
Way to much for me tho.
PizzaHut is good and you save cash at the same time.
That's alot of slices for $900 or so.
How often would someone use it, two or three times a year?
I have a Grill and BBQ, mine don't get used that often.
Plus, I'll make friends at camp sites and eat their food.
It saves money on towing evey little thing that you need to take with you.:lol:
I only say this because many are trying to save money for gasoline.
Plus, as we are getting there to the camp site.
We want to talk about how many miles we got per gallon. Right?:lol:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Looks like a Kamado Hibachi => http://www.imperialkamado.com/i_japaneseKamadoHibachi.htm. Had one for almost 20 years, brought it back from Japan. Outstanding, but not designed to be moved once it's been used. Ours survived several moves in the USAF, but broke during the move to Virginia. If the Egghead is like the Kamado then it is too bulky and heavy for camping. BTW, they cost about $60 in Japan 25 years ago.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
BBQ is loose label describing many styles of cuisine.

Grilling is a cooking technique also known as frying or griddling and is done over high heat.

A special "grill" is not required for grilling, eg grilled cheese sandwich. A "bbq grill", properly called a charcoal or gas grill can be used for many different cooking methods.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Having grown up in southern California, I thought barbeque was a verb.

Then I moved to DC and started hanging out with southerners.

And discovered that barbeque is
a noun, and closely tied to certain southern states' identities.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I recall shoping at a computer store - named Egghead.:lol:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
A buddy in my homebrew club is completely, totally and absolutely in love with them.

I'll say that if you're considering $900, look elsewhere. There are dealers and distributors that can get them for you at half that, though IMO it's still an investment for a hobbiest.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I recall shopping at a computer store - named Egghead.:lol:
Me too. They folded in the Chicago area around the same time that Elektek did. It's probably a good thing since "egghead" is associated with smart people who are outside the mainstream, while most of the stuff egghead sold has been adopted by the masses.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Kamados differ by era/place manufactured

I had an actual Made-in-Japan Imperial Kamado. Bought it from Pachinko House off Buford Hwy in Atlanta around 1983. It was made of a white clay fired HOT and withstood high temps, and freezing weather with no problems. When used correctly you sear the meat at high temp, then shut it down to a lower temperature to gently cook to desired state. It made unbelievably flavorful steaks, roasts, smoked turkeys...I'm drooling! It was also an awesome bread oven. One key is never using cheap charcoal...ONLY use natural lump charcoal!

Anyway, my sob story is that movers severely cracked it somehow during one of our many moves (private movers too, not the military contractors with which we had good luck). We sold it at auction about 13 years ago when we were trading in "country" for "city" living :D

I have scoured the earth :rolleyes: looking for another TRUE Kamado. I ordered one from Pachinko House sometime in the early 90's but it was a cheap low fired red clay from Taiwan "rip-off" and I shipped it back. When I tried looking AGAIN a few years ago the "Imperial Kamado" was from China, the California Kamado was made in California (now China), Grill Dome was made in India, the Big Green Egg was coming from Mexico, and the Primo Grill was still USA made. I’m sure they’ve shifted around to whatever country is cheapest now, and unfortunately quality always seems to suffer.

If you want more info about this style of cooking there is a great web site call The Naked Whiz's Ceramic Charcoal Cooker Page found at:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm

There is also a BBQ forum which has info available:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45842

you may have to join the brethren to search, etc. Don't worry, they're just fanatics about BBQ! LOL

----
I'm still hoping to spot a Japanese made one at an estate sale...especially now that I have an E to drag it home in! I’m not sure I could put a price on what I’d pay for a NEW, made in Japan 1970-80’s era Kamado! To me, it would be priceless (but I’d love to find it for under $50!!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts