Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stop at a light, my Element is pretty quiet for a couple of seconds, but then starts to get a little loud and then I start to feel engine vibrations, especially in the seatback. I don't think the RPMs are going up any, but there's definitely something happening. It's not too severe, just annoying. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have noted something like that but I don't notice it all the time. Sort of vibrates a little after warmed up and sitting either in park or at a stop light for a while. I noticed it on the lot and asked to see another E run for comparison. It did the same thing. I have not had a 4cyl in a long time so I chalked it up to the way they run and also because both cars were well within the breakin period.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, jake. That makes me feel a little better... I'll see how it behaves after 2000 miles. Until then, I'll chalk it up to break-in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any load on the enectrics does that -- turn the fan on, A/C, lights, brake pedal, power steering -- the engine labors a little under the load and, as you say, it may be a little more noticeable because it's 4 cyl.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried to search and this thread was the closest I could find. Does anyone have the same issue or can anyone shed any light on it. When fully warmed up and in drive my automatic 03 E idles around 700rpm which I have gathered is normal. The problem is that it vibrates quite a bit. I can feel it in the steering wheel and in my seat. When I start to accelerate from the stop the vibration goes away. It is pretty bad I feel like I have one of those massage chairs. I have 30,000 miles on my E and this vibration did not appear until after 20,000 or so. Before that the idle vibration while in drive was so minimal I was hardly able to tell it was on. I had the idle checked at the dealership about a month ago. They said everything checked out ok. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Banned
124 Posts
If you have ever dosconnected the battery , you must do the idle learn proceedure (correctly) or you may have problems with vibration, gas milage etc .....

·
Registered
717 Posts
iamyzrnu said:
If you have ever dosconnected the battery , you must do the idle learn proceedure (correctly) or you may have problems with vibration, gas milage etc .....
for those who dont know what that is, here ya go:
The idle learn procedure must be done so the ECM can learn the engine idle characteristics.

Do the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions:

* Disconnect the battery.

Replace the ECM or disconnect its connector.

Reset the ECM.

NOTE: Erasing DTCs with the Honda PGM Tester does not require you to do the idle learn procedure.

Remove the No.6 ECU (ECM) (15A) fuse from the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Remove the No.19 battery (80A) fuse from the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Remove PGM-FI main relay 1.

Remove any of the wires from the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Disconnect any of the connectors from the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Disconnect the connector between the engine compartment wire harness and ECM wire harness.

Disconnect the G2 terminal from the transmission housing.

Disconnect the G1 terminal from the body.

Disconnect the G101 terminal from the cylinder head cover.

Procedure
Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights, etc.,) are off.

Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 rpm with no load (in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194?F (90?C).

Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.

NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.

also if you install an exhaust, intake, or what ever. disconnect the batery for 20 seconds reconect it and follow the above procedure.

-tom :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts