Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mocked up a prototype yesterday, based on this design but with a twist for the Element:

I wanted something modular so I could fit 2, 3, who knows 4? bikes in such a fashion. This design allows me to move the mounts left and right and take them out really easily by just lifting up the spare tire cover. Seems like it'll do the job ¯\(ツ)

The metal is some thin aluminum sheet metal from Home Depot. I'd like to try some stainless steel or something but this is all they happened to have at the time. The wood I literally found on the floor at the store--not much thought put into it. I will use plastic inserts like in the video above for my needs, and can likely find other style of inserts/couplers/reducers to fit other types of bicycle axles.

Now I'm thinking about better materials and sprucing it up a bit.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I did a search but after 3 pages kind of gave up on finding that style of mount among the results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, here's my XL 29er long wheelbase bike in there with both wheels on and room to seat three.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had two versions... one where I mounted fork mounts to a board that I bolted to the spare tire cover and I think it worked great as it was easily removed and replaced. The one thing that was lacking though was storage so I had a short 'box' built that I mounted the fork mounts to and then I could slide storage tubs underneath. It's a little difficult to move in and out but once it's there it serves great to hold the bikes and give me the full size of the floor for storage.
I think this link will take you to photos of it... Bike Storage Platform

·
Registered
291 Posts

This was my solution to cover many fork dropout options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts