Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever towed a ski boat with their Element?

I have an 06 EX, and I am looking into purchasing a Mastercraft PS 190; a 19' ski boat that weighs approx 2200 lbs w/o the trailer, so more than likely 2700 w/ trailer. Clearly I would tow in 3, either way- am I going to be replacing my trans if I tow with my E if I tow this boat?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the club. Fill out your profile so we know a little more about your question.

That is a pretty good sized ski boat. I tow 16.5' runabout that weighs less on the trailer than what you are looking at. My E does it quite well with no problems to date. My concern would be the kind of ramps you are launching from and if you have 4wd. I wouldn't even consider it with a 2wd.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would buy a good used pickup to pull it with and save the E for lighter work. By the time you add gas and all the other stuff, you're looking at 3,000 lbs or more.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Very true when you factor in the gas and the weight of the coolers and other tag along items. It all adds up pretty quick.

How far will you be towing to the lake/river? Will the boat be stored near the water? You may be able to handle it if you are just going from a storage unit down the road to the ramp. Just remember to bring a long tow strap and a friend with a truck that can help pull you up the ramp if your E fails.

3000lbs is a lot to tow and even more to stop for the E. Good breaks on the trailer is an absolute must!!!

Are there any other boats you might be considering to buy which might be smaller/lighter and a better match for the E?

·
Registered
2 Posts
75% more than advised

even 2700 # is too much. i tow a 16' drift boat a/o a small work trailer. mileage goes from 23(best) to 16 when towing. there is a tranny cooler installed, great move, but you are pulling way too much. all the best

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome to the club. Fill out your profile so we know a little more about your question.

That is a pretty good sized ski boat. I tow 16.5' runabout that weighs less on the trailer than what you are looking at. My E does it quite well with no problems to date. My concern would be the kind of ramps you are launching from and if you have 4wd. I wouldn't even consider it with a 2wd.
any idea of what the dry weight of your boat is?

I've been wanting a 15' or so (think those sea doo jet boats) but wasn't sure if the E could handle the weight.

It looks like they weigh 1445 plus trailer/gear.

I'm in Florida, so its all flat. but I'd have to worry about the boat ramps, and I've only got a 2wd. hmmm

·
Registered
715 Posts
I pull a 14' aluminum jon boat with a 25 hp 4 stroke motor and can't even tell it's back there and I'm in hilly country. I think my whole setup weighs around 1,000 -1,200 pounds.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My boat weighs in at 1700 lbs without the motor and trailer. Fully loaded it is 2500 on the scales. I really have no problems pulling it. My only trouble is the launch ramp. Keeping the revs up and getting the torque to the wheels usually spins the fronts a little on the wet ramps. I am not shy about spinning my wheels at the ramp if I need to. It is the only way to get the 4wd to kick in.

The ramps in FL can't be that steep. I would be concerned with the trailer tongue being long enough to launch the boat on a shallow ramp without getting the wheels of the E in the water too much.

My wife usually pulls the empty trailer out of the water after we launch and the second to last time we went out she forgot the car was off and let the E-brake off before she started the car. The back bumper ended up below the water line before she started the car and pulled it out. Our friend was launching their boat right next to us and couldn't stop laughing. Let's just say my wife wasn't too eager to pull the trailer out the next time we went to the lake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, NO

As a former Mastercraft salesperson, I now sell Lund, you have far too much invested in your MC to chance towing with an E. Your unibody E will not pull and most importantly STOP your MC when you put the normal about of fuel (6.5 lbs/gallon), skis, water toys, etc. in the boat for your trip to the lake.

Unless you are going less then a quarter mile, get an nice pick 'em up and be safe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
and don't forget to put it in PARK with a 4x4 block of wood

Coworker at the FD.
He also was a Lake Michigan Licensed Charter boat captain.

Twice he jumped out of the truck he used to tow the boat he used in his charter business.

WITHOUT PUTTING IT IN PARK!

NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE!

·
Registered
106 Posts
and don't forget to put it in PARK with a 4x4 block of wood

Coworker at the FD.
He also was a Lake Michigan Licensed Charter boat captain.

Twice he jumped out of the truck he used to tow the boat he used in his charter business.

WITHOUT PUTTING IT IN PARK!

NOT ONCE, BUT TWICE!

We experienced boaters always carry two 4x4 blocks of wood with rope handles.
IN THE CAR
so you can throw them behind the wheels if she starts to skid.

Trust me, it happens every week at the launch.

You get some slime on the concrete and it just sliiiiiiiiides into the Lake.

And seeing as how your boat to car weight ratio is not good.....

Can you say Gilligan?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i think it's time for me to sell the element

While my E is still worth a little bit of money, I'm going to try selling it. Blue book is $16k so we'll see what I can get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts