Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Element has 250k on it. It’s been properly maintained. Recently replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner. Flushed the transmission. Changed the oil. New struts. New battery. Etc.

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly. I’m guessing timing chain? Or timing chain tensioner?

Any advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
199 Posts
kinda sounds like a pulley loose or bearing wearing out, maybe the A/C compressor?

I think at 250K replacing the chain tensioner might not be a bad idea

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible to replace the tensioner without pulling the engine? Do I have to replace the timing chain with the tensioner or can I just replace the tensioner?

I've googled around and haven't seen much on replacing the timing chain tensioner on the Element.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible to replace the tensioner without pulling the engine? Do I have to replace the timing chain with the tensioner or can I just replace the tensioner?

I've googled around and haven't seen much on replacing the timing chain tensioner on the Element.
Found this awesome thread!

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92905

Now I'm wondering if its the oil chain guides. I didn't realize that the oil pump was chain driven. I assumed it was crankshaft planetary gears like on LS and 22RE engines.

So, I have to drop the oil pan to inspect the guides correct?

To change the timing chain, oil chain and guides, I'll need to drop the oil pan, and remove the valve cover correct?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Man... I wish I could listen to the sound file. Should I be able to via the mobile site or do I have to use the desktop site?

Edit: Just got it to load, but unable to play.

I’m asking because my Element is at around 270k and the tensioner pulley bearing “is”going so at least we’d be able to solve for y. And maybe even x.

I’ll post as soon as I can watch it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’m no pro, but to me it does not sound like the tensioner pulley bearing. It does not sound like mine. Not sure if you ever heard a rusted or off bearing when the balls and the race are out of sync, but generally the sound is a bit more scratchy and hissy, not so rhythmic and resonant if that makes sense. Plus, mine makes the sound generally just when starting up and usually when it’s cold out.

Another crazy test you may be able to do although proceed with caution, this happened by mistake for me. I recently flushed my coolant. Upon bleeding the system I got a little on the headers/manifold. I wanted to clean it off so I didn’t have burnt coolant smell everywhere. So I poured some distilled water on it to rinse it off. By mistake a got the water on the belt and pulley a bit too. It whined for about 20-30 seconds pretty loud, but after that, the pulley bearing hasn’t been very loud at all, and for the most part the noise isn’t bothersome. My point is that if you maybe get the belt or pulley wet and the noise changes, than you know it’s the pulley or belt vs. the timing chain. If no change in sound, than you know it’s something internal. Just my two cents.

To me, and again no pro here, it sounds like the chain is off.

Good luck. Hopefully someone else will chime in that knows a bit more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure exactly what sound you're talking about, maybe you could try to explain it. What I hear is a ticking sound, if that's it try valve adjustment, the valves move out of ideal adjustment due to wear and other factors. Quick fix with instructions on youtube, if you have the skills or in the $100-150 range if you don't. Other possibility is the serpentine belt tensioner. My E sat for 5 months and the tensioner squawked when I started using it again, I oiled up the bearing and that noise soon disappeared. Otherwise I hear nothing out of the ordinary in your engine. Sometimes when you replace a noisy part other noises "appear" because the other sound was masking or combining to make your noise. Changing seprentine belts also offer a change in a set of sounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts