Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any rubbing issues with this setup?

I just had my E dropped today and i've already busted off one of the plastic rivets inside the right rear fender well.:confused:

Any wisdom?:cool:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had my oem wheels on my E with Tein coilovers for a few months with out any rubbing at all. I only had it dropped about 2.5in. How low are you?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Definitely need a Fender Cut, search for Car Shops/Motorsports in your area, they usually offer those type of works.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Save your money and cut them yourself, many have done it, just search, you can look in the staggered fitment post a couple of threads down, the top E has a pic of the fender he cut himself, just make sure you only cut where the middle 2 rivets are.

·
Registered
541 Posts
must be really maxed out because if you lowered it per the height tein recommends there should be no rubbing unless your on a rally-x.or did you bring your rear camber to zero?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ook...

I may be prematurely reacting, since i haven't had the car aligned yet- (no time per my schedule)
Maybe alignment will take care of the minor rubbing i have.

I also wasn't able to be there while the Tein's were installed... it was a legit shop though - "F1 Motoring"

I am interested in cutting the fenders though, i have already lost the two plastic rivets inside the rear passenger wheel well..

OK - 2 fingers of space on the rear wells, and 3 fingers on the front...

Thanks insane, i'll look into that thread!

See the photos. (and thanks for all the help!)

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
did you do a rear camber kit?if so they made it to positve. i never hit the fender with my stock tires at the tein height.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes

Yah, i had them install an SPC (Specialty Products Company) camber kit(arms) for the rear, and SPC bolts for the front, instead of ingalls.

What do you mean " they made it to (too?) positive"

Maybe they lowered it past tein recommendation?

thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
they brought the rear camber to close to zero. it should have -1 degree negative or more depending on your liking. your toe all round should be zero. with -1 degree rear you shouldnt rub.if you were to plus size your wheels you would nt be happy.when you get the alignment make sure they dial alittle negative camber in the rear.fronts can be zero.

·
Registered
562 Posts
yeah it looks like you have very little negative camber. get that straight at an alignment shop and you should be good to go. don't cut until after getting that set.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it...

OK- If I'm not mistaken, having a camber that is not zero is going to cause uneven tire wear. Which is ok, i just have to be sure to regularly rotate the tires. Correct?

and I'm holding off on alignment until i get new tires....

Does anyone think going from 215 to 235 will cause any prob's with the Teins?Wider tires will probably underscore a need for neg. camber in the rear... right?

·
Registered
562 Posts
your toe settings with the drop are going to tear up your tires pretty quick. so hope your getting new tires fairly soon, or it might get noisy. you had more than -1 rear camber with the factory setup. measure that as a starting point and play around with the camber your self to get the max camber to rubbing. I put 235's on and rubbed, another guy did the same thing with the stock 225's and didn't rub on the sc. - camber doesn't wear tires out fast, toe does. they just wear on the insides first, not evenly. rotating can help that. most modern imports seem to have lots of negative rear camber these days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok

Great- thanks for the advice and explanation.

I will go ahead and get 235/70/16's with the stock rims and when i have it aligned, have them increase the rear camber until it doesn't rub.

Then.... cut the fender wells as needed...:cool:

sound good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wait a minute.

Maybe i should get slightly shorter tires (235/65/16) to help out with rubbing issues with wider tires.

just a thought>

·
Registered
834 Posts
how long are you planning to keep the stock 16's?...I think 235/65/16 is to much of a tire, I'm running 235/55/18 with a little less than 2 fingers cut fender and its perfect stance for me.

Maybe i should get slightly shorter tires (235/65/16) to help out with rubbing issues with wider tires.

just a thought>

·
Registered
541 Posts
my winters have 235/60/16 and dont rub. regardsless you need to dial some rear camber .then notch the rear plastic if you plus size the wheels

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to keep the stock 16's for a while longer- i like em.

Although i would love to pickup some DPE Wheels like NOSkweeze has... but i've dropped alot of dough on the element lately...;-)

With your help guys, i think I'm going to go with 235/60/16 General Grabber UHPs.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Great tire choice, I have them on my 20's and love them, great tire and cheap prices. Good luck!
Later

·
Registered
562 Posts
rolling general's on both of our daily drivers. they are great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK- ITS A NO-GO on the 235/60's.... i don't like losing tire height, the /70's fill out the well so welll....

So i'm gonna test-fit some 225/70's and check for rubbing issues before i buy...

will post pix once ive got em!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts