Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?:
I have put my Valentine One on the center top of dash above the A/C outlet. I stuck a 2" sq. piece of Velcro there, and when I stick my detector to it, I can plug it into the recepticle under the dash on the pass. side. I also have the remote concealed module for it that Valentine sells, but due to the extreme weather we've been having, I'm waiting to relocate the detector to the headliner area next to the rear view mirror. (This detector must be mounted so it can see ahead and rearward to give 360 deg. protection). Then I can put the remote module on the sterring column, so I can see the indicator arrows, without it being apparent to other motorists, and law inforcement officers.
I'll post some pictures of my current installation and my "improved installation" after I re-install it.
Has anyone else installed a detector? Any good ideas you could share? Would like to hear back from you and see some pictures if possible! :idea:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
wow that sounds like a nice unit you have there, and I will look forward to the pix.. as well as how effective it is. I have not had a detector in many moons.. Rather impressive how far they have come with emE!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Me got um V-1 w/remote also. Installed this way. First removed fuse cover panel. Then removed side panel from dash. If you start at the very bottom on the edge and work your way up with a prying device (screwdriver or thin prybar), it comes off easily enough. After removing the end panel you notice there is one screw at the end of the dash that holds the blue section on. remove this screw. Now lift and pull firmly on the end of the dash and free it slighly (only lift up about an inch) This will make it possible to remove a A-piller cover. The cover is removed by inserting a short screwdriver at the top, by the rubber seal. The cover is snapped in place by 2 fasteners. Once you have released the cover you can feed down the V1 power cable to the under dash area. I fed my cable thru the area that was closest to the driver. Now mount your V1 with the suction cup mount about 2 inches from the top edge of the windscreen at the end of the sunvisor that is closest to the rearview mirror. Attach your V1 to the mount and plug the power cable into it. I ran my power cable across the sun visor to the top forward edge of the A piller cover. Working from under the dash, I pulled the cable downwards just leaving a little slack in it at the top. I connected the power cable to the power adapter. I lowered the steering wheel and dropped the remote cable thru a gap on the right hand side of the steering column cover. I attached the hook and loop fastener to the top, right side of the column cover, mounted the remote and attached the cable. I then plugged the remote cable into the power adapter. For power, i removed the Power Window Relay fuse and installed a "add a circuit" adapter thats available at pep boys. You must install the 7.5A fuse and another low amp fuse for this this thing to work. Attached the ground wire to a bolt under the dash, bundled up all the wires with a zip tie and voila!!. When my wife gets back from vegas with the digital camera, I'll be able to supply pictures of my installation if necessary. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow! Thanks for all of the advice. My husband borrowed my detector right before I bought my E and I haven't installed it yet. And to think, I was just going to stick it on hte windsheild and let the cord land where it may! :oops:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ION777
Thanks for the detail on how to deal with the various covers to hide the wiring. Your setup seems to be very much the same as I will do as soon as it gets a bit warmer out. I don't want to use the suction cup mount because of theft concerns. I thought if I could mount the detector to the ceiling a few inches back from top of the windshield, then it would'nt be so easy to see from outside. The other concerns I have are that, this area is getting cultered, with other items. I have the IPASS transmitter for the tollway tolls right behind the mirror, and to the left of that, I have the antenna for the remote starter and alarm system. So........... I will probably have to mount the Valentine to the right of the mirror, in a way that allows my passenger to use the visor, without it, blocking the rearward look that this dectector needs.
If you can post any pictures of your setup I would love to see them. I can't post any pix as I have no way to host them. Perhaps you might have the same problem??? If so could you PM me and I'll give you my email address. :?:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
guys PM me if you would like to post some images, ok? You can email them to me, and I will get them on, ok?

Awesome work you guys are doing, I am very impressed.. and yeah that does sound like a clutttered zone there with all those devices, I would love to see a pix just of that mass! :wink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey Gypsy and Tom, if you would send me your personal emails on a PM, i will get my images to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts