Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking a search would have pulled up info. on this issue, but I didn't see it.

How the heck did you install the two rivets? Honda wants $102 for this small, manual rivet insertion tool! how could it not come with the net? seriously...

I have been to all the big box stores and several of the mom and pop places and no one seems to sell a tool that will work on a rivet as large as the one required to be installed for the net.

anyone?

thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here's the instructions from HandA

http://www.handa-accessories.com/element/advancednet.pdf

As for the tool, it's also called a "Rivnut" tool. Try an aircraft tool supplier in Columbus or on the web. The rivnut tools used in aviation usually run quite a bit more than what Honda wants, but you might find a used one on ebay. Another option would be to use a bolt and some washers while holding the rivnut on the back side with small vise grips or pliers. It doesn't have to compress much, just enough to hold it in the plastic so it won't pull through.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You should be able to find a Rivnut tool at any decent tool supplier they are more common than you think but not something generic box stores or chain parts houses carry. Another option would be to ask your local shop or dealer how much just to install the nuts as each Rivnut tool insert is specific to the size and you may never need it again. Like most manufacturers Honda does not make tools so to purchase from them means there are more layers between you and the original source which drives the price up. The tool catalog for Honda is not even part of the Parts side of their system as it is intended for the Service dept. Few Honda parts people ever order from it as the demand s not there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help folks! I think i will go the route of asking the dealer where I bought the car to pop in the rivets for me. i would assume they have to have this part for their use.

thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can go to most any small airport in your area and talk to a local aircraft mechanic (A&P) and someone on the field will have one that you may be able to borrow or have them install the rivnuts for you. The only drawback is that they are thread specific, so if the thread you have is metric rather than SAE, you may be out of luck and have to go to the dealer and have them install them. I personally would use a nut plate which is held in by 2 rivets but can be used with a backing plate to distribute the load to a wider area. Most nut plates used in aviation in the US are SAE thread specific but also have a builtin self locking feature for the screw or bolt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda is treating me right as always. i called the dealer I bought the car from( not the net, got that mail order)

their accessories installers will mearsure off and install the two rivets for me at no charge. i can handle the rest of the installation.

it is interesting that for a cargo net, there is quite a bit of measuring and drilling as there are numerous connection points for the net to hang....

thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd like to see it once installed. The pictures on H and A leave me with more questions than answers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will do that. from looking at the instructions, there are 7 different configurations you can put the net in. I think i will leave the instruction sheet in one of the back pockets, because there is no way i will remember all of the configurations!

just got back from the dealership. they installed the rivets for me free of charge, and even washed the E. Gotta love those folks at Roush Honda in Westerville, OH.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So did you get it installed?

PICS!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi folks,

been out of town for a few days, but i have attached some pix(thanks for the reminder chesterspot!). the net has two sections, imagine a pup tent. that's how it's shaped. one section is mesh and the other is a tightly woven nylon.

each section has a zipper running it's entire length, so you can put items into each section separately, or configure it where the two sections work together to allow you to drop items into the net.

there are 7 different configurations you can use.

I also have a couple of pix showing all the connection points, including the infamous hook that required riveting. there is also an attachment spot you have to install right where the shock towers are on the left and right side. you can't see them from the pix. you have to raise up each rear set to drill in and attach the hooks. other than the riveting, a very simple installation.

Element cargo net.jpg

Element cargo net 1.jpg

Element cargo net 2.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Advanced Cargo Net

Why is the Advanced Cargo Net for 2009+ Elements only? What's different about those years that mean it won't fit in my 2008 EX?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts