Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Honda Element EX with an AWD and automatic tranny. I’m new to modding cars, and I want more power. I haven’t been able to do much research yet, so I don’t know what prices on these things will be like. But I’m looking for more power for my element. Since there are no turbo kits for an element, I want to put a good engine in (already turbocharged if possible). I don’t need insane numbers and I still want around the same fuel economy. I do want something where I can buy the least amount of other parts possible to install the new engine for example maybe one that works with the element’s stock trans? These numbers might be too low but I’m looking at a budget from $800-2k but I’d like it to be as low as possible. I would like something easy so I could do it without a mechanic but with the help of some friends who work on engines a lot. Any comments, help, or feedback is very appreciated!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Not much you can do for just 2k unless you can swap out a used engine yourself. Maybe putting in a K24A2 or getting a head swap and dyno tuning with ktuner, but that would put you over 2k in my opinion. Check out our performance threads. Maybe first ease into some mods with an intake and dyno tune with ktuner?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sell the element and take your extra 2000$ and put it towards something else. The element is not meant to be fast. There is one super charged build on here. Not even remotely cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much you can do for just 2k unless you can swap out a used engine yourself. Maybe putting in a K24A2 or getting a head swap and dyno tuning with ktuner, but that would put you over 2k in my opinion. Check out our performance threads. Maybe first ease into some mods with an intake and dyno tune with ktuner?

Ok thanks!

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,096 Posts
Why is the auto an issue?
Won't be able to handle the torque/horsepower increase, plus it needs an ECM to shift it. Don't think any aftermarket FI will run the 5spd auto trans in an E.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Won't be able to handle the torque/horsepower increase, plus it needs an ECM to shift it. Don't think any aftermarket FI will run the 5spd auto trans in an E.
[/QUOTE]

I have a 4 speed auto, Jet9RDO on this forum (who is also supercharged) has a 5 speed auto. We both have had no issues. Over the years many of those who have gone FI have been pushing 300hp with no problems. Am not saying trans issues have never happened, but it's rare based on what I have seen on Element builds over the years. The few times I have seen people struggle with transmission issues is when they are frequently towing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Why is the auto an issue?
I knew you would be the first to chime in..
Welp, Seeing as a lot of people end up with the flashing D of death on the Elements its prob more than likely
going to fail..
Not saying all are bad, But I see so many post of failing auto trans for the Element..
As well, Lets be real, The auto int he Element is FAR from being a performance trans..
Super slow shifting very lack luster.. Not the ideal set up..

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I knew you would be the first to chime in..
Welp, Seeing as a lot of people end up with the flashing D of death on the Elements its prob more than likely
going to fail..
Not saying all are bad, But I see so many post of failing auto trans for the Element..
As well, Lets be real, The auto int he Element is FAR from being a performance trans..
Super slow shifting very lack luster.. Not the ideal set up..
Ha! Well you and I have both been on this forum for close to ten years. So we may have to agree to disagree on this one. Our Elements are prone to reliability issues, but I don't see the transmissions as one of them. Now on my 2015 Nissan Pathfinder with CVT transmission, they have had lawsuits about it.... but I digress. My 05 AWD Element with auto trans, runs great even with supercharger. I once had the flashing D a few years back, but after replacing OEM sensor it went away and has never returned. Maybe there are some who never changed differential fluid, or transmission filter around 100k like I did... but every car will have owners who don't take care of maintenance and will blame the manufacturer. And yes... we all know an Element is not built for performance, or the 'ideal setup' because it's slow, extra. I feel that point leads more to the question of 'value' with performance upgrades.... this varies greatly from person to person. As someone who has spent many thousands in performance upgrades I can say thus far my biggest challenge was probably ECU/immobilizer/fuel/sensor issues not the transmission. I suppose trans issues could still be possible, and I will admit I have thought about it... but so far so good... 🤞

·
Registered
519 Posts
ECU/immobilizer/fuel/sensor issues not the transmission. I suppose trans issues could still be possible,
If you would have had a manual would the ECU have been as much of an issue?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If you would have had a manual would the ECU have been as much of an issue?
I'm not sure how much of my build that you are familiar with but I basically had an immature mechanic sabotage my build with his incompetence. The first mechanic gave no handoff, we had to literally take the car from him. So the next mechanics had trouble investigating his mistakes to turn it all around. He let the Elements battery die with the keys in the ignition which allegedly causes immobilizer problems, then installed the new fuel pump wrong which ruined it, so I had to buy a new one, then he plugged the MAP sensor and TPS sensors into the wrong slots (mixed them up) which we think caused short circuiting... there is more but I just get upset recalling the nightmare. So to answer your question, I don't think so. 05 is a good year for Ktuner, the only advantage I know of with the manual only, is that the base map with Ktuner supports a flex fuel option which is neat. Don't ask me how or why. I will be getting a new tune for E85 soon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts