Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
You can find many search queries on many things on this forum. I love being able to search past threads... So... I have acknowledged that some people have had problems with their transmissions, grinding gears, extra. I just have not seen it as a consistent re-occurring problem for Elements where people are regularly having to rebuild their transmissions.

Registered
I just wish they'd have put the smooth as butter 3.0 V6 in them as an option, and I bet it would have gotten better mpg than the 4 cylinder to boot.

Registered
Find a 2005 Subaru XT (turbocharger) engine and tranny which ought to fit in there nicely without a lot of torch work. It's my engine of choice for small cars needing some snort. The turbo-lag isn't too bad and you'll get used to it. With the minor mods it will put easily 350 hp and much more for more $$$. I recommend a HP turbo (at least 20psi OP) with Al intercooler in front of the radiator.
My guess is, if you're not careful, you'll roll it the first time you try it on the twisties.
It makes supercar jocks take a second look when properly driven in the right chassis - think Factory 5. It won't beat a CBR600F4i or a liter bike in the 1/4 mile but it's a creditable speed machine at walmart prices.

Registered
I agree with mcfarton. The Element is not meant to go fast. That said you can do minor upgrades to squeeze some hp out of your K24 engine. I installed a cold air intake on mine from Injen. It gives Dyno Proven gains of up to 6 hp and 8 lb-ft. of torque. I live in CA, so the fact that is CARB compliant (with a CARB certification sticker right on the intake) kept the smog guys out of my business. I coupled that with a bolt-on cat-back exhaust system from Yonaka. This one is very similar to the one Injen makes that claims Dyno Proven gains of up to 6 hp and 5 lb-ft. of torque. The Yonaka one looks like they just reversed engineered the Injen one, and sold it for about half the price. These exhaust systems delete the resonator (included in the stock exhaust). They are 2.5 inches in diameter of mandrel bent stainless steel with 3" tips. Without the resonator they produce quite an aggressive growl. It was too much for my wife, so I ended up installing a resonator by Yonaka right after the cat. You will need to go to a muffler shop for that addition (welding necessary). Since cat-back systems are behind the cat, they don't factor into the smog test. I was looking for an ECM tuning kit, but I was unable to find one for the Element. Either they just don't make them, or they are really hard to find. I'm sure you could find one for a a K24 engine made for another Honda, and modify it to work. I personally don't have the expertise in that area. If you live in a state that doesn't have strict smog guidelines, you could probably get more power from port matching and head work. There are also after-market high compression pistons for these motors. But all of these mods will require some heavy duty engine work, and you would most likely go well past your 2k limit. A turbo-charged option is going to definitely cost more time, effort, and money than your projected 2k. Lastly you could try and find a lightweight pulley kit to squeeze out a little more hp. Hope that helps.

Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
Excuse me for being so harsh, but this whole discussion seems a bit ridiculous.

There is NO non-K24, engine transplant you can do for $800, unless you are getting the engine for free and all the labor involved is free. The late night pizza for the free labor alone is going to cost you more than $800!

And even a $2,000 budget for a non-K24 engine, which is going to require some sophisticated engineering to match to the Element transmission, is going to be a stretch, dare I say impossible (with that budget).

If one were to go with a non-K24 engine/transmission combo, just fitting it to the body is going to cost you more than $2,000. Even with a much higher budget, with all that cutting and fabrication, unless you're doing superior workmanship, you're going to end up with rat trap which looks more like a Road Kill junkyard project than a functional car.

This sounds more like a bunch of young guys, sittin' around, having one too many beers, fantasizing about some cool Element engine upgrade.

Because, unless you have a much, much larger budget, a well equipped shop and some really talented craftsmen, that's all this is, just fantasizing.

Registered
Excuse me for being so harsh, but this whole discussion seems a bit ridiculous.

There is NO non-K24, engine transplant you can do for $800, unless you are getting the engine for free and all the labor involved is free. The late night pizza for the free labor alone is going to cost you more than $800!
And even a $2,000 budget for a non-K24 engine, which is going to require some sophisticated engineering to match to the Element transmission, is going to be a stretch, dare I say impossible (with that budget).
If one were to go with a non-K24 engine/transmission combo, just fitting it to the body is going to cost you more than $2,000. Even with a much higher budget, with all that cutting and fabrication, unless you're doing superior workmanship, you're going to end up with rat trap which look more like a Road Kill junkyard project than a functional car.
This sounds more like a bunch of young guys, sittin' around, having one too many beers, fantasizing about some cool Element engine upgrade.
Because unless you have a much, much larger budget, a well equipped shop and some really talented craftsmen, that's all this is, just fantasizing.
My K24A2 was less than $800, Installed needed zero fab work, Ktuner software was $500, Tuning was $250

Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
My K24A2 was less than $800, Installed needed zero fab work, Ktuner software was $500, Tuning was $250
You鈥檝e made my point. Unless you are using a K24, there is NO way you can put a non-A24 engine in an Element with a budget of less than $2,000--more likely three or four times that.

Registered
this guy did a budget turbo build on his element. he seems very knowledgeable about cars and will reply to your messages on youtube.

Registered
Nitrous wet kit.., cheap, easier to install than fabbing a one off turbo kit, no change to fuel economy unless you鈥檙e using it. Seems to check all your wants.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts