Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to take the Element to a gig I'm playing at a campground on July 5th and was going to sleep in it. I'd love to have a privacy curtain, but $100 or whatever for an accessory I'll only use a few times seems a bit much. Anyone made their own curtain?

Drew

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been meaning to try this out too since i saw it, but Boneheadz
had the idea of getting some shower curtains (i am guessing the Cloth ones) and putting suction cups in the eyelets. and attaching them to the windows like that.

That would proabbly work, and maybe even getting one of those clothing rods for the front hand holds to run another curtain there. The more i think about it, 10 bucks in shower curtains (if that) and maybe 3-4 bucks in suction cups....sounds a heck of alot better then 100+ for the "Privacy Curtains"

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am going to make one also. What I did in my older vehicle was made it out of black cloth with a velcro strip running around the edge. Then you simply have a few tack points around the vehicle. I see in the picture of the retail version, there was just hooks wedged in between where the headliner and side panels meet. You really don't need one all the way around if you have dark tint. If you block out the light coming from the front windshield, the back really stays dark.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You really don't need one all the way around if you have dark tint. If you block out the light coming from the front windshield, the back really stays dark.
Yeah... but I think the real point of the curtain isn't so much to keep the sun out as it is to keep other people from looking in. :shock:

:lol:
Drew

·
Registered
211 Posts
Drew said:Yeah... but I think the real point of the curtain isn't so much to keep the sun out as it is to keep other people from looking in .

Thats what I was getting at. Not to block the sun, but to keep people from seeing in. If you block the great amount of light coming from the front of the vehicle's windshield , then even the stock tint is hard to see in the back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, I tried the suction cup idea....in a tight jam they should work...but nothing i would try very often. What I am planning now is small squars of Velro in the corners of the windows for the back windows and then some Strip magents for the "back" doors, and the front doors. And then the gooood old fasion sunscreen for the winshield.

Another tip, I used Shower curtain liners (cheeper then the cloth curtains, but still cloth....)

ended up doubleing them up, You still cant see through them single strengh, but they are so thin i could see the garage light through them. :shock:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am planning to do this. I have a huge roll of material and thought I would save money this way. If you look at the "installation instructions" at handa-accessories.com you can see how the privacy curtain is installed using existing hooks, etc. You may not need to add velcro or suction cups.

Yoko

·
Registered
174 Posts
I went to the "$.99" store and bought 6 cheap (well..99 cents each ;-) auto shades with suction cups already fastened to them.

You will have to slice them down the middle and remove the center material, then tape them back together to get a perfect fit AND be able to use the suction cups. (I used carpet tape) I cut them down to be an exact fit for each window, and they "Form Fit" to each window well now. Sticking them all up takes about 3 mins, probably less than to hang the curtain!

Cost = 6 bucks and about 45 mins in time. For the front and back, I use a couple ballon valances I already had, also held with suction cups.

with the coverings recessed into the window wells, it seems like it is much more open in there when all the doors are shut.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We opted for the curtains. We have slept a total of 20 nights in our "E" and have found them to be perfect. There is no compromise. They're dark enough to keep the sun out and water proof/ stain proof. they fold into themselves and take 45 seconds to install. They even have a "ELEMENT" logo in the front windshield. it's no problem getting in and out because they have a velcro piece at the doors. If you were so inclined you could "sleep" :wink: in there with the top hatch open in perfect privacy while maintaining air circulation You can use just the front or just the back section. Heck you could even use the back curtain while driving. Although I don't know why you would. I suggest if your wavering on the value of the curtains that you should just buy them. They will probably last forever. :D :D :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
try your local truck stop some well stocked truck stops have privacy curtains for about 30.00 and they work really good maybe online like the flying j truck stops

·
Registered
61 Posts
I fold the back seats up push the front seats forward and use a dash protector in the front. It works for me. I then sleep on a futon mattress and sleep very comfortably. I guess I am just too lazy to actually make something like my own curtain. Or maybe I know my creativity levels too well. Thank goodness that my college had a marketing degree program or I might have been screwed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I made a set of 3 privacy curtains from some close-out upholstery remnants at Jo-Ann fabrics and some heavy-duty velcro and a little webbing. One back piece is held up by 3 grey velcro tabs that you don't notice, 2 side pieces are held up by 2 velcro tabs and one webbing piece around the side handle and the long front piece around the windshield and front windows uses 4 velcro tabs and webbing around the rear-view mirror. I basically just measured the size and sewed them up and they fit great! Total cost $15.00, time 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
94 Posts
[quote:9a27e567e0="cslaughtermd"]I made a set of 3 privacy curtains from some close-out upholstery remnants at Jo-Ann fabrics and some heavy-duty velcro and a little webbing. One back piece is held up by 3 grey velcro tabs that you don't notice, 2 side pieces are held up by 2 velcro tabs and one webbing piece around the side handle and the long front piece around the windshield and front windows uses 4 velcro tabs and webbing around the rear-view mirror. I basically just measured the size and sewed them up and they fit great! Total cost $15.00, time 1.5 hours.[/quote:9a27e567e0]

Do you happen to have measurements or a pattern of your curtains? I'd love to get one made for myself!

·
Registered
57 Posts
[quote:9ad369b7d4=" "]I made a set of 3 privacy curtains from some close-out upholstery remnants at Jo-Ann fabrics and some heavy-duty velcro and a little webbing. One back piece is held up by 3 grey velcro tabs that you don't notice, 2 side pieces are held up by 2 velcro tabs and one webbing piece around the side handle and the long front piece around the windshield and front windows uses 4 velcro tabs and webbing around the rear-view mirror. I basically just measured the size and sewed them up and they fit great! Total cost $15.00, time 1.5 hours.[/quote:9ad369b7d4] Any pictures :?:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I thought you had to be some kind of exhibitionist to drive an Element. And now everyone wants some privacy? I think the transparent shower curtains would be more appropriate (at least it might keep the condensation off the interior of the windows :lol: ).

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
thought you had to be some kind of exhibitionist to drive an Element. And now everyone wants some privacy? I think the transparent shower curtains would be more appropriate (at least it might keep the condensation off the interior of the windows ).
:shock:

This would be especially good if the E didn't already have stain resistant and waterproof fabric.

Seriously though.....anyone have a pattern??? I have been tapped out between Christmas and the Toy Drive....I would love to have a privacy curtain made out of penguin fabric for Burning Man next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts