Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone not like their E? or does anyone know someone who owns and E and is not happy with it? I have yet to find someone who owns an E and is not happy with it. I only hear these "non-owners" hating on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its not that I don't like it, but it was not my first choice. I have never owned a Japanese car, and its a far cry from my BMW. However the E is amazingly affordable for all that it does. There really isn't that many options that offer this amount of space with AWD, ABS, etc.

So over all I am happy.

-jds

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i don't not like mine. :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'll love mine when I get it. I'll be giddy and giggly and not able to focus on work.

Iskie

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are just ordering our element this week and I'm curious to know what those unhappy with the car are not liking about it? I want to know now before we order.

·
Registered
116 Posts
People who are unhappy are not really reading this forum. I took a poll of Element owners here and about 2% to 4% of the people who bought the car were not happy. This is a very versital car for an inexpensive price. I can not think of any car that I could have bought that did so many things for so little money. I have owned mine for 4 months now and I still love it. I could have spent more money and got a more elegant vehicle but I would have had to compromise. Feel free to ask my any questions that you may have.

Joan
[email protected]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most users who do not like their E would not be hanging out on the boards.

Outside of the reporting posts of problems I would like to offer these considerations:

It does only seat 4. It will not hold a full sheet of plywood unless you do some space warping. The gas mileage is not where I would like it to be (30 mpg instead of 25 mpg. I'm getting)

We do not know how the Element will hold up over time. We really only have Honda's reputation.

It was developed to be a young man's car. I find highly amusing that so many people bought the car for the same reasons I did. FUNCTIONALITY!

Luxuries are wonderful (when they are not broken or dirty), but my "ride" does not need to be luxurious - it needs to do the job I want it to do. The Honda Element fufills this to my expectations.

Should you decide to buy an Element, I hope you will be pleased with your decision. If you buy another kind, I hope you will be pleased with that choice too. By reading these boards, I already know you will make an informed choice.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really like mine a lot. If you like a plush ride then you will be disappointed. It is very functional. I throw a wet dog, child, wife, and me into it with scuba/surfing gear/boat stuff/fishing gear/metal detecting gear and it cleans with a wet rag. I like the way it drives and handles but I am used to big 4x4s. My wife drives a Benz and she has been using the E more often when ever she has a choice. She loves it for shopping. I have gotten from a low of 19mpg city to a high of 27mpg hwy. This is within my expectations and much better then my last 4x4. The windshild does seem to damage easier then it should, I got a very small chip within the first 200 miles but have not gotten another since and I now have about 4000 miles on it. I think some of the interior plastics scratch easier then I would like but this is not enough to bother me. I have not had exterior plastic problems but I have the EX model which seems to make scratches harder to see. There was one problem with a gas leak reported under "under the hood" section but I haven't had a problem and I have not heard of anyone else having that problem. For the price and what it does, I am very happy. If it was a $30k car then that might be a different story. It does what I want and does it well with a few minor failings. I would buy it again in a heart beat. Long but hope this helps. Jake

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well we have ordered our Element and should be picking it up Thurs.!! Thanks for all your comments and I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I get it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I got my E in early February and have about 2500 miles on it. I still love it, possibly because it makes me think of my old Tonka trucks when I was a kid. The short-comings are very few in my book. The things I would like to change are the following:

The rear doors would be more functional if they opened independently of the front doors. As they are, it is very easy for someone to accidentally slam the rear door over the front door causing damage to both. Also they would make people less claustrophobic if you could open them from the back seat. It has occurred to me that it might be difficult for people in the back seat to get out of the vehicle in the event of a crash.
The Interior plastic surfaces should be tougher, more scratch-resistant. A six-cylinder engine option would have been nice. I don't understand why the 2WD models didn't come with an optional sun-roof too???
The rattles and squeaks people (me included) are reporting on these boards might be due to the fact that the "E" is built in Ohio, not Japan.(Love America but let's face it, our assembly-lines are no match for theirs!).
The gas mileage should be better. It would also be nice if the E could accomodate five people instead of four....although the "hump" in the rear seat seems to be fairly soft and is comfortable for short trips. They should have thought about easier ways to accomodate things like surf boards, bikes, canoes, etc. without having to climb on a step ladder to reach the roof (since this was marketed as a "sportsman's" vehicle). I pity anyone under seven feet tall who wants to wash their roof!
Despite all this, the E has a consumer rating of over 9(!) on Edmund's website, which is practically unheard of! (Talk to us in another year)! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am considering an elelment, but was wondering how opening both doors to get to the back seat works with small children. I love the car, but am concerned about an extra door to open, especially w/o keyless entry

·
Registered
19 Posts
The only things I dislike...
It does not clean as easily as they show in the tv ad..mine won't come clean from the abuse of 2 dogs and 2 kids
I do not understand my 4WD, I read all the books that came with it , used it in the snow and no lite came on to identify when the 4WD was engaged
My 10 yo son is afraid that if we crash or land in water he will not be able to get out so I have to listen to that at least once a week
I wish I would have waited for a dif color...impulsive

What I love...
That the kids can't jump out while the car is in motion
Riding in the back and gazing out the sunroof
Decent stereo sytem stock

Skye

·
Registered
914 Posts
2 kids + 2 dogs=more mess than any car could ever expect...

I don't think you should hold Honda accountable for that kind of abuse...afterall, the E was marketed towards outdoorsy "extreme" sportsters...which the E is easy to clean up if its used for these types of purposes.

I agree with your son that in an emergency you're pretty much screwed in the back. Too bad you couldn't open the hatch from inside. The solution to the underwater problem is get one of those glass breakers that use a CO2 cartridge to break the glass in an emergency.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't blame Honda, I blame the ad campaign, and myself for being a stupid impulse buyer, this is my third Honda..a crx, accord and now the element we still own all of them! The leather in the accord actually cleans easier than the element seats... oh well, I wanted something easy :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts