Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has generously offered the use of his older [email protected] to me for a weeklong Fall exploration of Southern Utah. It's one of the more basic models and he estimates it's around 1600 lbs. I know a couple Element owners on the boards had them years ago and had towed without incident but just wanted to see if there are any new Element/[email protected] owners out there or if anyone has heard of specific bad experiences.

We don't plan on using this beyond the 1-week, it's just a trial run to see if we enjoy RV camping enough to buy something (lighter) of our own . . .

·
Registered
319 Posts
[email protected] are too heavy- imo

I looked into buying a [email protected] and even spoke with Chris the guy that builds them. He says the [email protected] is about 1450-1500 pds EMPTY depending on which [email protected] it is. The towing capacity on the Element is listed as 1500 pds. People do it but I wouldn't recommend maxing out the towing capacity by the time you fill up the trailer and load the E with gear and people. IMO...you will find other on here that say different.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked into buying a [email protected] and even spoke with Chris the guy that builds them. He says the [email protected] is about 1450-1500 pds EMPTY depending on which [email protected] it is. The towing capacity on the Element is listed as 1500 pds. People do it but I wouldn't recommend maxing out the towing capacity by the time you fill up the trailer and load the E with gear and people. IMO...you will find other on here that say different.
Thank you -- of course I agree with you about overloading the Element, but since it's close to the tow weight we'll only be pulling it for 2-3 days, and its FREE, it's worth trying it. I wouldn't buy anything that heavy for sure.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have no experience with towing anything with an automatic E but my MT E will tow at those figures all day without any hick-ups.

Take it easy up the hills and enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I pull a 1600# trailer with my 2005 AT 4WD Element. It's a 1975 apache hard side. it was 1590# gross, then I removed about 200# by taking off the 2 propane tanks, hoses, stove, fridge and furnance. I also took out the heave wood counters and replace it with plate aluminum. That 200# accounts for what I put back in (bedding, food etc) so I am still around the original weight. I live at 6000ft in Denver, CO and we take this into the mountains with at least 3000 feet in elevation change. Never had an issue. Every 2 trips though I do the 3+ quart AT fluid drain/fill. It's never smelled burnt, but i'd rather play it safe. I cant image anyone in LESS elevation than me with an AT Element having an issue with towing ~1700. I do have electric brakes and a 7 pin just because...

Update: since there are only 2 of us, I remove the rear seats in the E

·
Registered
142 Posts
I pull a 1600# trailer with my 2005 AT 4WD Element. It's a 1975 apache hard side. it was 1590# gross, then I removed about 200# by taking off the 2 propane tanks, hoses, stove, fridge and furnance. I also took out the heave wood counters and replace it with plate aluminum. That 200# accounts for what I put back in (bedding, food etc) so I am still around the original weight. I live at 6000ft in Denver, CO and we take this into the mountains with at least 3000 feet in elevation change. Never had an issue. Every 2 trips though I do the 3+ quart AT fluid drain/fill. It's never smelled burnt, but i'd rather play it safe. I cant image anyone in LESS elevation than me with an AT Element having an issue with towing ~1700. I do have electric brakes and a 7 pin just because...

Update: since there are only 2 of us, I remove the rear seats in the E
Thanks. I still am looking for an Apache of my own -- have found a couple in within a couple hour's drive but they tend to disappear before I can get to them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts