Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I don't know if anyone remembers that I took in my dad's lab Goofy, about 4 months or so ago. During that tiem I was under the impression that the subletters and landlord were all in sync, just to lose my job, and then have the tenants say they no longer want to pay rent and would rather move back onto the ship. (wonderful timing). So me and my wife are being forced into a one-bedroom apartment that does not allow dogs. Also that wouldn't really be fair either, having a medium-sized dog confined to two rooms and no yard really.

So I'd like to have him go to a responsible dog lover, and thought here would be a good place. Craigslist has found no luck. Everyone that came to see him claims he's "Kind of annoying." He is very loud. Very loud. When you come home from work, he's very vocal and happy to see you. He whines and barks and wants you to pet him and stuff, and no one appears to like that. I don't mind, I come home, let him outside, we play fetch, then he comes back in and lays down for most of the day and naps. He's about 4 years old, black lab/sheppard mix.

He knows a few tricks and knows his own name, and comes when you call him. The most undesirable feature is that you may not be able to leave him in a car and walk into a store. he HATES it, and he will make it known to the entire parking lot. HE will bark his head off till you come back, and even when you do, he'll bark some more for a while. Also if you slow down to a stop light he may get antsy and move around. He likes riding in the car, he just doesn't seem to liek when it stops. :? You may be able to train him off this habbit, as I think it is some kind of seperation anxiety deal.

So if anyone is in the area and would like him, or if you can form a road train for him to go to someone else, that would be great, or just somewhere I can take him. Basically I do not want to put him somewhere where he'll just be put down or turned into dog-fighting meat.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
hes a great looking dog and sounds like he justs needs some area to ran around and get some of that lab energy out. good luck and a bump for an EOC'er looking for the best for his pet.

·
Registered
836 Posts
He looks really nice, the problems you stated don't really seem like problems to me but maybe I'm nuts. when i come home my dog greets me with a toy in his mouth and barks through the toy, rather funny to me. If a road train forms and he needs to be moved around my area I'll do my best to make sure I have time to help this guy out.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Serj,

I am feeling so sorry for Goofy. It's never easy to place an older dog and especially not in this economy when so many dogs are being abandoned.

Are there no dog-friendly rentals around?

Is there any receptivity at the complex to an additional security deposit?

Dogs do just fine in a smaller place provided they get ample walks.

My city, DC, is primarily row houses and condos -- with no or miniscule yards -- so dog owners walk their dogs morning and night and find that's a real bonus to not having a big suburban yard to dump the dog in. Dogs walked everyday are better socialized and have the stimulation of being out and about. And their owners become much better acquainted with their neighbors.

There may be dog parks near you where he could romp.

My regards to Goofy. I hope everything works out for him.

8)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sadly, everything in our budget has been "no dogs" the only thing they'll do is our 2 cats, and most of them are a $400 deposit just for the cats. It was hard to find one that accepted 2 cats, and then they don't meet our geographic needs. It sucks. I want to keep him. I also don't want to be "that guy" with the loud dog right next door through a 2 inch wall, though it never bugged me much about neighbor's feelings.:-D

The barking doesn't bug me. He doesn't have a toy he likes to bring me persay, but he has a teddy bear that he carries around with him. At bedtime he puts it in his bed and lays on it, and he wakes up and gives it to you in the morning, wether you want it or not. That usually means a slobbery stuffed bear dropped on your face while you're sleeping in the morning.

A lady on Craigslist offered to take him so I took him to meet her on her 10acre property which I thought would be PERFECT, but I could tell she was annoyed when he came up to her and barked his head off and pushed his head against her. He does that to everyone new he meets. Kind of a "Hi, I'm Goofy!" thing. He also can't be left in a car for too long alone, whether the windows are down or not, he hates it, and she couldn't have it. She said she'd talk to her mom about it and we left. I had a feeling she was uninterested and annoyed, and sure enough I got a "thanks but no thanks" sorta E-mail.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sadly, everything in our budget has been "no dogs" the only thing they'll do is our 2 cats, and most of them are a $400 deposit just for the cats. It was hard to find one that accepted 2 cats, and then they don't meet our geographic needs. It sucks. I want to keep him. I also don't want to be "that guy" with the loud dog right next door through a 2 inch wall, though it never bugged me much about neighbor's feelings.:-D

The barking doesn't bug me. He doesn't have a toy he likes to bring me persay, but he has a teddy bear that he carries around with him. At bedtime he puts it in his bed and lays on it, and he wakes up and gives it to you in the morning, wether you want it or not. That usually means a slobbery stuffed bear dropped on your face while you're sleeping in the morning.

A lady on Craigslist offered to take him so I took him to meet her on her 10acre property which I thought would be PERFECT, but I could tell she was annoyed when he came up to her and barked his head off and pushed his head against her. He does that to everyone new he meets. Kind of a "Hi, I'm Goofy!" thing. He also can't be left in a car for too long alone, whether the windows are down or not, he hates it, and she couldn't have it. She said she'd talk to her mom about it and we left. I had a feeling she was uninterested and annoyed, and sure enough I got a "thanks but no thanks" sorta E-mail.
I sure hope you can find something where you can keep him. For me it would be like giving away a kid. I understand your dilemma, but damn, you know? I'd take him, but I already have 2 rescues and can't afford another. I'm sending positive vibes/thoughts that you can find something where you can keep him.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Dude, I am sorry about your dog. I've had to give up a dog before, too, and it's not easy. It's also not easy to take the inevitable brow-beating on here, so let me assure you of something. You are NOT giving up a CHILD, you are giving up a DOG. A DOG. I've had to choose, and was actually told by one do gooder on here to give up the baby. You are doing your best, and you clearly did a good thing by taking Goofy to begin with. Keep you head up, and keep trying.

Good luck.

Sorry, but I already have three dogs, so no more here, please.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was also entertaining the idea of even just giving him to someone for a while. We're only going to be in a 1 bedroom until january, then our first baby will be born and then we will be moving into something bigger if money permits. That way I could just take him back or something, but with the preocupation of a baby, that may be difficult then and then he truly wouldn't get any attention.

If anyone knows of someone that wants him even. Like I said, I just want to keep him from becoming dog meat as a dog fighter or being put down.

I took him since my dad couldn't have him anymore and fully expected to be able to live here for a while, but things change, and the situation isn't so good. I lost our nice place to live, and then had to take a way-lower paying job, almost flat broke because of it, and we have a baby on the way, and now the situation is forcing me to get rid of my dog, just one thing after another. Couldn't have happened at a worse time.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts

He may have some "annoying" habits but none of it sounds serious. All things time, attention (correction, training, etc.) and proper exercise could address. Make some calls to no-kill shelters and rescues. I've sent you lots of info.

Good luck. He looks wonderful. Give him a belly rub from me.

-g

·
Registered
836 Posts
shipping to NC? Probably not feasible...

Have you tried to contact an area Lab Rescue group?

-simpson

If the EOC can set up a train I'll help for my area... I'm willing to see him "shippped" to NC

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shipped him on a plane before and that is an experience I don't think he will enjoy all the way across the country, or one I want to do again. If someone wanted to make a road train for him, that would be fine, granted I knew where he was going.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts