Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have been looking into getting a brushguard for my 2009 EX but I'd like to get a Hunter becuase of their low price, their listing on ebay only says 03-08 and they don't want to respond to my emails. Anyone know if they fit an 09 or has anyone even seen a brushguard on an 09 because I have looked but not found any pictures.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have been looking into getting a brushguard for my 2009 EX but I'd like to get a Hunter becuase of their low price, their listing on ebay only says 03-08
FWIW, I inquired from a few companies that had a good record on pre-2009s. My application was to get a good bar for mounting driving lights, and I needed it stiff enough to keep the narrow beams steady.

Basically the answer that came back is that the bull bar / grill thing is just for show. It bolts to the underbody sheet metal. If you put lights on them, they'll bounce all over the place. And they don't protect the front of your car, either.

The Element is nothing but plastic cladding and well-engineered crush zones in front of the radiator. (The radiator is pretty flimsy, too.)

Bottom line: If you want to put anything substantial on the front be prepared for a lot of added weight, because you'll need to build up a support system.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
FWIW, I inquired from a few companies that had a good record on pre-2009s. My application was to get a good bar for mounting driving lights, and I needed it stiff enough to keep the narrow beams steady.

Basically the answer that came back is that the bull bar / grill thing is just for show. It bolts to the underbody sheet metal. If you put lights on them, they'll bounce all over the place. And they don't protect the front of your car, either.

The Element is nothing but plastic cladding and well-engineered crush zones in front of the radiator. (The radiator is pretty flimsy, too.)

Bottom line: If you want to put anything substantial on the front be prepared for a lot of added weight, because you'll need to build up a support system.
I've got a Aries Offroad one piece brush guard and a set of PIAA 520 Ion Crystal fog lights mounted for over two years and there is no problem with the lights bouncing. It is a solid four point mount to the vehicle and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It protects the front end from brush, birds, bunnies and shopping carts and is a rock solid mount for my fogs. Another benefit is that it breaks the snow ahead of the bumper when it is more than eight or ten inches deep. I have driven in over 18" of snow and drifts up to 3' deep with no problems (good winter tires too). The guard is not heavy and does not cause any "performance issues" since the E is a SUV and not a sports car. A brush guard is not intended for ramming other cars or garage walls as some people seem to want one for, it is attached pretty much directly to the radiator support after all. That said I have nosed down into the dirt a few times on four wheeler trails and have not found any cracks in the paint or with dye check around the mounting brackets. The Element is more substantial than most give it credit.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hello

I have been looking into getting a brush guard for my 2009 EX but I'd like to get a Hunter because of their low price, their listing on ebay only says 03-08 and they don't want to respond to my emails. Anyone know if they fit an 09 or has anyone even seen a brush guard on an 09 because I have looked but not found any pictures.

Thanks
If the plastic is the same on the front of an 09' as an 08' then the Hunter brush guard will fit. The mounting points under the radiator and above the headlights are the same even on 10's, just the skin has changed. There is some minor trimming to the air dam under the front bumper for the mounting brackets. A Dremmel tool would be best but aviation snips work also. Once the brackets are bolted on you can loosely install one bolt on either side of guard to the brackets and the entire guard can be pivoted up into place with one person. Total install time for even a novice should be less than a half hour, it's that easy. Routing the wiring for the lights is another story. ;-)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Here are a couple pics from yesterday getting petrol at -22F. :-(

You can see that the PIAA 520s are not small lights and they do not move one millimeter even thrashing around off road.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here are a couple pics from yesterday getting petrol at -22F. :-(

You can see that the PIAA 520s are not small lights and they do not move one millimeter even thrashing around off road.
Those are big, wide angle PIAAs. I have a set of Bosch halogen driving lights (Compact 100s) with a narrow focused beam, roughly 10 degrees. At 500 yards you can barely illuminate the width of a two-lane road plus shoulders.

(Let's leave out whether these spot driving lights are suitable for an Element with a top speed of 85-ish. Probably not; should have gotten cheaper.)

Anyhow, that's my application. If the brush guard vibrates up and down just a tad, the light beams bounce like crazy, then the trooper at a thousand yards thinks I've got strobes (or else a very defective light system).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hunter has told me their brush guards won't fit a 2009 :( They also said they don't have plans to make them for the 09s because they are not popular. I'm not really sure why they wouldn't fit...maybe they just haven't tested it on a 2009?

·
Registered
282 Posts
It sucks that I can't find a lot of mods for my 10.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Steelcraft Grille & Brush Guard

Hello

I have been looking into getting a brushguard for my 2009 EX but I'd like to get a Hunter becuase of their low price, their listing on ebay only says 03-08 and they don't want to respond to my emails. Anyone know if they fit an 09 or has anyone even seen a brushguard on an 09 because I have looked but not found any pictures.

Thanks
FYI AutoAnything lists a Steelcraft grille & brushguard for '09 E's.

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-guards/73A4536A0A0A3195822.aspx

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
39 Posts
http://www.autoanything.com/grille-g...0A3195822.aspx

I haven't even seen any of those mounted on a 2009 :( I am really thinking about just buying the hunter and hope that it fits the 09 frame, they haven't changed the frame that I know of.
This Steelcraft link shows a black one mounted on a pre-2009 Element.

I'd be real happy if this works, since I still want to find some way to put 3rd-party auxiliary lights on the front of the E. However ... if it's loose, or if the spot driving lights won't stay properly aimed, OR if this cage setup is too heavy for the nose ... well, I'm still hoping. Then I guess I'll have to subtract the 40# weight from the carrying capacity of the E itself, right? ;-)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This Steelcraft link shows a black one mounted on a pre-2009 Element.

I'd be real happy if this works, since I still want to find some way to put 3rd-party auxiliary lights on the front of the E. However ... if it's loose, or if the spot driving lights won't stay properly aimed, OR if this cage setup is too heavy for the nose ... well, I'm still hoping. Then I guess I'll have to subtract the 40# weight from the carrying capacity of the E itself, right? ;-)
I orderd the Hunter and am really hoping it will fit, if not it's going to be going up for sale in the trading thread, hopefully I won't lose too much on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts