Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a month away from buying an E (waiting for the side air bags), and I'm wondering if current owners find the factory racks worth it.

The racks in show rooms I've seen seem awfully close together to securely hold down long items (e.g., surfboards). I've got Yakima racks on my 1993 Saturn, and the rack bars are much farther apart than on the E, even though the E has a longer roof.

Anyone know if Yakima or Thule are making racks for the E yet?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try searching the posts for the key words YAKIMA and THULE. (Look straight up.) I tried the new Yak CR-V rack, but the covers wouldn't fit. Another poster installed the Thule racks and experienced the same problem. He got the Thule racks on and useable, but only with gaps in the rails. I'm waiting for Yak to solve the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great presentation. Seems like a much better route to go than the factory racks, even for someone like me who's not too handy with tools and cars.

I take it that if you go the route you went, you're still stuck with the after-market racks' distance apart as you would with the Honda factory racks. Is that correct?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I want a rack like the Nissan X-Terra. Big, tubular, chunky. Black would be fine. any hopes of this?

I also want a similar style of grill guard too.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Any other ideas about beefing up the element. A rack like the xterra is a must. (Plan to stay away from front end stuff because of the crush zones) What else. I am a big fan of the xterra but not environmentally freindly and too small to sleep in or carry my stuff. I want my element to look like it belongs at the trail heads in Moab. (Yes I do realize the dressing my truck up like this would make me a bit of a poser) 8)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I am an old-school SOD, Slayer and COC fan, so I hate posers! LOL

J/K, I want the same look for my E as well. I am not going to buy the Honda rack for a while, and only as a last resort if the after-market industry doesn't make an X-Terra style rack. I am holding out for the chunka-chunka "beef rack"!

Where's the beef?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts