Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is as good a place as any to express condolences for the people in Arkansas who perished in the flash flood this morning -- campers and residents. Heartbreaking and horrific. Thoughts and prayers for everyone affected and all engaged in the rescue effort.

The number of fatalities in the last report that I caught: 20 (I've updated this figure twice already)

:-(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100611...uX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3BvbGljZTE2cGVvcA--

...the water rose quickly between 1:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. A river gauge at Langley, just south of the Camp Albert Pike area, had a peak reading of 23.39 feet — up from 3 feet deep at midnight.

...Floodwaters inundated campgrounds along the normally peaceful Caddo and Little Missouri rivers, swamping hikers and campers sleeping along the rivers' banks. This area of the Ouachita Mountains includes second homes, hunting camps and a number of U.S. Forest Service campgrounds.

"We don't know who was in there last night," State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said. "This is a very wide area."

Brigette Williams, spokeswoman for the American Red Cross in Little Rock, said that between 200 and 300 people were believed to be in the area at the time of the flooding. She did not know how many of those were campers and how many were local residents.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Media/camp...lood-albert-pike-campground/story?id=10889327

About three dozen campers were still missing in the area this afternoon as rescuers rushed to get to the isolated site,

The Caddo and Little Missouri rivers -- two normally gentle waterways -- rose by 20 feet overnight, engulfing the hikers and campers spending the night in tents along the rivers in the isolated Ouachita Mountains.

...people there would have had "very little warning or alerts" because the flooding occurred while most people were sleeping.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Very tragic. They were totally unaware as to what was going to happen.

Makes you think about where you are camping.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Such a sad story. I'm wondering if my little NOAA radio would receive an alert in a situation like this? I read something about some warnings going out, but that a speaker-based system (like a siren) wouldn't have worked because the area was so large.

Hoping to learn from the tragedy.
I have a NOAA radio, too. Wouldn't bet a nickel on it working there.

News says there's no cell reception whatsoever. Authorities have brought in portable cell antennas to aid anyone who may still be alive and trying to call (wouldn't bet a nickel on that, either).

Today I read that the water gauge rose over 20 feet a few miles down river and the water probably rose even further at the campground because of the terrain.

Sounds like a massive tsunami.

And yes, I'd imagine a lot of people are considering where they're camping after this. I'll be camping next to a river in the next month and because of this if there's a huge rainstorm I'll be keeping watch.

Unless it's 2:00a-5:00a like these folks in Arkansas were confronted with. I'd be zonked at those hours of the night.

8)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm glad someone posted this. My heart and prayers go out to all the families that still have relatives missing or in some cases that died.

As soon as I read about this, of course the thought ran through my mind that I hope we didn't loose any of our friends in the EOC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts