Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ran my new EX thru the local car wash. Got home and treated the composite pannels to a coating of Armor All Ultra Shine Finish. Looks just great. There has been a lot of discussion about the best treatment for the pannels so I decided to order a bottle of Lexol Vinylex. As soon as I get it, I will try it and compare the two.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great! I was wondering that myself. Let us know how it turns out. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I wouldn't use any Amorall product. Old and newer formulas of that stuff do not protect the material. They clean and shine, but don't protect.

Stay away from Amorall - Corvette and Porshe Clubs preach against Amourall.

They know.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I can say is that I have used Amorall products for years on Harley Davidsons (and motorcycles in general) and it has worked out great. I do not use their leather treatment however. Always good results and I see the results after years and years. My brother has also used it on antique European cars for years. To each his own I guess. I cannot argue with years of satisfaction.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, like I said, I have never had a problem with Armorall. I like the shine and I have never had anything dry out from it. It is always very interesting to me how various people can use the exact same product. One has success with it and one hates it. Thats life. But I will be anxious to try the Lexol.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got my bottle of Lexol and tried it out on the composite pannels of my EX. I guess the key will be if it lasts longer than the Amorall. It doesn't look any better than the pannels I coated with the Armorall Ultra Shine. Maybe I am just making a big deal over nothing.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after about a week of using both Lexol and Armorall I can honestly say that Lexol is better. It seems to actually leave a thicker protective covering on the plastic and vinyl than does Armorall. Also seems to hold up better in the rain.

This certainly is not scientific testing, but I am quite impressed with Lexol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took the Vinylex suggestion and used it in both the interior & on the exterior polycarbonate parts. It's absolutely fantastic! Gives a nice, subtle shine without being or appearing greasy. It's expensive, but my E is worth it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I washed & waxed my Black Element this weekend and loved the results......well almost. I waxed with Zymol which worked great and was fairly easy to apply and buff off. I then proceeded to apply the Vinylex which should be applied in much the same way as applying a wax. I took extra time to keep it off the paint and was really happy with the results...... until the rain came !!
I guess I should have expected it, but in ran all over the paint. I'm sure it will be no problem getting it off but it looks like crap. Don't get me wrong, I will continue to use the Vinylex, with the expection that if it rains just after the application, I will have some extra clean up. The panels still look good, I guess it was the excess that ran from the rain

·
Registered
41 Posts
Armor All has silicones, which will absolutely destroy paint finishes over time. My favorite preservative for tires and plastic panels is a product called 303. I usually get it at boating stores. I use it on my kayaks- particularly the folding kayaks. Fabulous product.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote:78a1e9745f="mikeyj"]Armor All has silicones, which will absolutely destroy paint finishes over time. My favorite preservative for tires and plastic panels is a product called 303. I usually get it at boating stores. I use it on my kayaks- particularly the folding kayaks. Fabulous product.[/quote:78a1e9745f]

I have heard this before about silicones. I have now switched to Lexol, but it also has silicone. I have used these types of products for years and years (ever since Armor All first came out) and have never experienced any problem with the painted areas. I don't wipe the painted sections with the Lexol (or previously, Armor All). The only time the painted areas get any silicone on them is when it rains, some of the Lexol runs on the paint. However it is very diluted by then. Never ever had any problems and I am extremely picky about how my cars look.

·
Registered
42 Posts
what is this lexol?? I am somewhat concerned with the panel issue. If anyone can Private message me and let me know where i can get it and what exactly it is that would be great. I went out and bought some new car cleanign things tonight in fact in preparation for my new element i am getting in 2 days!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Lexol is a trusted brand name for leather treatment and surface care. It's been around forever and is favored by detailers and people who deal with good leather, like saddles and tack.

Since there's no leather at all in the Element, the exterior and interior plastic surfaces are what is being discussed. The specific Lexol-brand product they're discussing is:

http://www.lexol.com/vinindex.html

I know when I get my E I'll be using something to clean and protect it. I won't be using Armour All at all because I'm allergic to it. I can't stand it touching my skin or being near it.

I hope for something less toxic from Vinylex. Applying it might be a bit of a problem for me, but as long as it's on the outside of the car, I can cope with it. On the interior, I probably won't use anything that is synthetic or highly scented. I just can't breathe products like that without getting a horrible headache. I have come close to fainting from cleaning a toilet because of the cleanser fumes. Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Lexol Vinylex is awesome on the interior. Dash looks great and it has UV protection galore. Corvette clubs and the like use this stuff.

I've found it's great on the inside, but runs on the outside when it rains.

303 Aerospace protectant is supposed to be very good for the outside panels. I'm getting some today.

·
Registered
504 Posts
303 Aerospace protectant is supposed to be very good for the outside panels.
I've seen the website and ordered some free samples. Is the 303 Aerospace protectant available at automotive product retailers?

·
Registered
429 Posts
According to 303's website my local dealer is Dr. Vinyl. I think he's into pool and hot tub covers. I don't know if I want to call Dr. Vinyl. I may have to go mail order on this one. Really liked the samples.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts