Honda Element Owners Club banner

Assistance Needed: Rear Rotor Removal

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  psschmied 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

Doing a brake job on my girlfriends '06 2wd LX and I'm inquiring as to what the best method is for removing the rear rotors. The pads were shot (down to the medal) @ 43k miles. The fronts have at least 10k miles before they'll need changed. First time I've run into this where the rears need changed first, but oh well. I've done quite a number of brake jobs in the past, but I'm looking for the best & accurate method in removing the rotors. Will be having the rotors resurfaced as there isn't really any damage issues at this time.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated,
-tim

#4 ·
Finally got the other side. There was a bit of a lip on the edge of the hub area on the rotor that was being stubborn.

Now I'm debating on whether it's worth just buying new ones instead of paying the $15 per rotor to have them turned.

#6 · (Edited)
The longer you wait, the harder it is to get the rotor off. The worst part was getting it over the flange at the end of the shaft—might help to run a stiff wire wheel around that flange at the outset. A little oil helps, of course.

I used a big-ass puller and lots of hammering while turning the rotor around and around and around. ... stretched the puller bolts enough that you can't run a nut over them now, and cracked one of the rotors at the bolt holes.

Such is the price of rear pads lasting five years and 93K.

Honda grinds the rotors on the vehicle.

#7 ·
I would replace if you can swing the cash. It'd be well worth it than the $$ you'll save...just make sure to buy oem on this one. While your doing that make sure to regrease the caliper pins as well.

#8 ·
I wouldn't consider replacing an in spec rotor.

If you've got this torn down far enough to get the rotors resurfaced, unless one was too badly scored, I'd get them turned and ask the shop to clean up the hub (many shops will do this anyway).

#9 ·
Went ahead and bought new ones. I have a buddy who works at O'Reily and gave me a really good deal on the pads & rotors (rotors were less than it would have cost to have the old ones turned).

#10 ·
If you were able to get OEM or better rotors for less than the cost of resurfacing, you got a good deal. :)

When you replace the pads, replace all the shims and small parts (included in the Honda pad kits) and grease (also in the OEM pad kit) the guides per the repair manual. Annual inspection and re-greasing the guides will prolong the pad and rotor life. While you have the vehicle down for service, this would also be a good time to drain and replace the brake fluid.

Next time pay attention to the warning squeal from the pads and replace them ASA before the rotors get scored. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.