Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having Torque converter issues and i'm heading to the stealership for fluid change. They offer a power flush. There are many post that don't recommend power flushing. Is the Honda Dealer Flush approved for the E?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Exslave.

Honda Service News, February 2006, page 4:
Flush Systems: A Big Taboo

In Honda vehicles, the transmission, as well as the systems that handle lubrication, cooling, fuel, and power steering, are designed to give thousands of miles of trouble-free service if you follow the maintenance schedule to the letter.

Flush systems are a popular aftermarket offering these days. These products look impressive and make lots of claims, but American Honda strongly recommends you avoid using them on any Honda vehicle. Here’s why:

• The maintenance schedule neither requires nor approves of aftermarket flush systems.
• Flush systems take time to do; this adds to your service customer’s wait time.
• Flush systems haven’t demonstrated an improvement in vehicle performance or reliability.
• Flush systems using solvents may leave solvent in the system you’re flushing. This will dilute the fluid or lubricant and degrade its performance.
• Flush systems using filters can filter out vital additives and degrade the fluid’s or lubricant’s performance. This is particularly true for coolant.
• Any damage caused by flush systems isn’t covered by warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Power Flush????

Thanks for responding,

This power flush is being offered by my local Honda Dealership, are the flushes they use equally as damaging or do they use approved materials is my question. Will the dealership do multiple drain and fills instead?

·
Registered
685 Posts
If it's the dealer, it's likely they're actually doing a 3X drain and fill process as the service manual dictates.

I would confirm that with the dealer before any work is done, but I would guess it most likely is.

Any chance you can do it yourself? All you need is a long funnel, something to catch the old fluid, and a 3/8" ratchet. You'll save a bundle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drain and Fill...

Nothing wrong with a drain 'n fill, except for the little bit of fraud if they're calling it a "power flush." You'll have to ask the dealer which procedure they're actually doing.

I let the dealer do a Drain and Fill and all the symptoms are gone. I also had the rear Diff fluid changed. Looking for another 175K miles. BTW the service Dept was not very helpful or knowledgeable about the Trans Power Flush / issue.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A "power" flush does not involve thr use of solvents. It is a method where you open a thansmission cooling line and attach a clear hose to a drain pan. You allow that line to drain by starting the engine and refilling the sump with fresh fluid. The process continues until fresh fluid is seen in the hose. This method is the only one that flushes the complete system including the torque converter.

Honda recommends single drain and fills, which is most convenient.

The power flush method is is most convenient on vehicles without a drain plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear! Just curious, what were all the symptoms you were having?

I was getting the shudder / studder type vibration when I accelerate. When the engine and trans was warm I was experiencing a consistent hesitation in 2nd gear. Research on the forum lead me to the Torque converter issue. I was afraid I'd need a new TC or worse Trans. The great guys of this forum saved me a mint. Someone should do a an accounting of all the money this forum has us members from unnecessary repairs.

Way to Go guys keep up the excellent work...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
If it's the dealer, it's likely they're actually doing a 3X drain and fill process as the service manual dictates.
I wouldn't make that kind of assumption. I know from personal experience that the local Honda dealership doesn't give a hoot about Honda's "recommendations" if they turn extra profit. For example, they did my very first oil change and insisted on dumping in a quart of graphite additive in defiance of Honda's directive to not use it. They get a "rebate" on each bottle used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Before having this done Monday, I called our Honda dealer as we have two Elements serviced there. I asked for a price quote / breakdown of this service. I was advised $100.00 of the $158.00was labor leaving the balance for fluid, new crush ring(s).

If they were doing a 3x drain and fill, wouldn't they be charging for 12 litres of trans fluid. I ask because our service advisor stated they had a machine for the tranny flush.

I brought 4 litres of fluid, and my bill it appears they charged me for 3 more to fill / top off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using my local Honda dealer service department for over 30 years. They do not recommend the generic transmission flush. They don't even recommend the 3X Honda flush. They say that for normal operating conditions, just drain and refill @ 30K mile intervals (more often if the vehicle has been treated badly). That's what I've been doing for over 30 years and I've had no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts