Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clueless I am about auto terminology; nevertheless, I'll be grateful for some input, please. I want to attach an OBDii connector to the OBDii port in my 2006 Honda Element for the purpose of making active the 12w "cigarette lighter" receptacle. The reason for this is enable plugging in a solar battery maintainer/charger instead of attaching the charger clamps to the battery posts. Doing that every evening during a Wyoming winter is an enormous pain. My question is: has anyone out there done this and are there any pitfalls to be avoided? I have the charger-specific OBDii connector and I have the Element, but I don't have the local mechanics' know-how on how to do this.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,920 Posts
The obd port cannot enable the aux power port.

Please rephrase your question.

·
Registered
663 Posts
enable plugging in a solar battery maintainer/charger
Doing that every evening
Not to be a wise-ass ... well, ok, just a little...............

You do know that solar doesn't work at night, right! :roll: :razz:

I have the charger-specific OBDii connector
Tell us what charger this is that plugs into OBD connector please?

This?

And, if it plugs into OBD connector, why do you need the accessory port?

If that's what you've got, you don't... you just plug the OBD end in and connect the solar panel. No need to mess with the accessory port at all.

There are easy mods that can be done to make those accessory ports 'hot' all the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Crazy

Clueless I am about auto terminology; nevertheless, I'll be grateful for some input, please. I want to attach an OBDii connector to the OBDii port in my 2006 Honda Element for the purpose of making active the 12w "cigarette lighter" receptacle. The reason for this is enable plugging in a solar battery maintainer/charger instead of attaching the charger clamps to the battery posts. Doing that every evening during a Wyoming winter is an enormous pain. My question is: has anyone out there done this and are there any pitfalls to be avoided? I have the charger-specific OBDii connector and I have the Element, but I don't have the local mechanics' know-how on how to do this.
Learn something new everyday, would have bet money that you were crazy and didn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Glad (this once) I kept my mouth shut and looked it up.
Maybe there's a lesson there somewhere...................

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I know all my OBD connected equipment draws power through the port, but everything I have also shut off with the key. What scares me with this idea is that pin 16 is the 12v line and pin 15 right beside it is the serial connection. One tiny mistake and who knows what could get fried. Some of these solar panels can put out over 20-24 volts open which is well over double the standard. That wouldn't bother me except this stuff is designed by Honda.

In cold weather, I often use a 2amp charger plugged in to one of my extra lighter sockets. (I added a couple outlets down on the front of the center console - wonderful place for utility)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts