Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm approaching the tail-end of an audio install in my 2009 Element. As a heads-up, below are a few pics of the changes. With much of the interior panels removed, this job also included the re-routing of a video feed from my back-up camera to the new head unit, and the installation of a new circuit for 12V socket/USB charging in the back passenger area. Oh, and for the little one: a feed of wiring to a dedicated rear video monitor.

Enjoy and wish me luck on wrapping up the job! There are a few bugs to iron out (noise suppression :|) and a protective cover to place over the amps to retain some functional cargo usage.

Gear list

Head Unit: JVC KW-V30BT, with MHL cables for two-way control with Android and Apple devices

Four-Channel amp: JBL GTO 504EZ

Mono-Block amp: Pioneer GM-D7500M (kept from a previous vehicle)

Subwoofer: Fusion 12" Powerplant series, within a factory ported and tuned wedge enclosure. This sub and enclosure are far bigger than what I would have gone with, and result in quite a loss of cargo room, but I already owned the item from a previous vehicle and was very impressed with its performance. I'm hoping to shake the dust off of it from sitting idle for about five years!

Speakers: JBL GTO 628's in the front, JBL GTO 638's in the rear, and JBL GTO 18T's in the pillars. I've had these speakers for about a year now, but they were previously powered by the factory amp. What a difference now when they're each being fed 75W RMS.

If there is enough interest (reply below), I will take the time to edit and post a series of clips online for a walkthrough, explanation of why I did what I did, and for lessons learned, in case others may benefit...especially since I haven't seen too much in terms of mods done to '09+ models.

Cheers...:grin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Looks good.

That's one hell-ov-ah piece of butcher block there. :-D

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there,

I retained use of the steering wheel controls by using a steering control adapter by PAC. With the purchase made from Crutchfield, the included American International kit was handy for its double-din brackets, fasteners and facia trim, as was the Metra wiring harness. Only a few wires were used in the harness meanwhile, as I wasn't re-using the stock amplifier or subwoofer in my set-up. Note that if you're considering a head unit replacement, it is worthwhile to check your OEM antenna harness end type; the one shipped by Crutchfield was not a match so a few days were chewed up while waiting for a replacement in the mail. And as a far as kits go, I also bought a Sirius SXV-200 to continue with my SiriusXM subscription, albeit with a new head unit.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi edubdeuce22, the manner in which the tweeter is mounted will depend on the type you end up buying. When I have a chance this weekend I'll try to post a pic or video of this segment on the tweeter installation. One of these things I've been meaning to do for some time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice setup! I'd love to learn how you did it. My first big upgrade on my 2007 ex will be the sound system... One day... :) thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback folks.

After about seven months of living with this set-up, I can say this:

- investing in an audio upgrade was well worth the money and sweat. The prospect of listening to my tunes with this system is something I look forward to every time I step into the driver's seat. The element offers a lot in terms of its interior space, acoustically-speaking.
- I've experienced no issues with the equipment itself, be it the head unit, speakers, amplifiers, or steering wheel control interface. Oh, I will say this though: for the Sirius XM kit, I'll eventually upgrade to the other type of antenna (~$35). The UFO-shaped one does a much better job than the small rectangular one that is supplied with the kit. How do I know this? Everything else being equal, I've tried both in the past and the UFO-shape one does a better job at maintaining a signal amidst degraded lines of sight.
- The cost of the JVC KW-V30BT was merited. The visual interface to tweak the EQ is so easy to use. And the quality DVD playback makes long road trips with our little one a world of difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts