Honda Element Owners Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:3940ea7dd2="GreenMeanie"]
I will get the Alpine CDA-9815. (thoughts)
I will replace the 4 6" speakers (suggestions please).
I will keep the factory tweeters (thoughts or suggestions for replacements please)
I will keep the factory sub and amp (possible upgrades down the road).

I am mostly looking for thoughts on keeping or replacing the factory tweeters.
[/quote:3940ea7dd2]

On the Alpine, it's a decent unit but I think the Clarion is a far better value and much better at simple things like ID3 tag display. I think it looks better in the E as well with the chrome. Pictures don't do that unit justice. Check out my review of the top 5 head units for the E here.

On the speakers, check out CDT audio. There's a post with user reviews here. The people who are discussing these speakers are using these speakers with the factory amp - just like you'd be doing.

On the tweeters - if you get some nice coaxials like the ones mentioned above, I'd recommend that you disconnect the factory tweeters. Yes they're that bad and you'll create soundstage and imaging problems for yourself - not to mention how overly bright it will sound. Believe it or not, the dash pillar is actually not the best place for a tweeter in the most cars anyway - very reflective - not a good thing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The way the E is wired is like this...

The amp sends full range signal to all door speakers. The tweeters in the front are daisy chaned off of the front door speakers. Theres an inline frequency isolator that keeps low freqencies from getting to the tweeter at (these are mounted on the back of the tweeter).

A coaxial speaker (presumably what you'd be replacing the door speakers with) already has the tweeter attached to the speaker so there's no need to use your factory one too.

Make sense? :?:

If you really want to do things right then you'd install component speakers which separate the mid-bass speaker and tweeter into 2 separate and distinct components in their respective door and pillar locations. The problem with component speakers is that they are usually used on higher end systems. The factory amp will have a hard time driving these types of speakers cleanly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
No problem.

On the Clarion, you could always buy a unit off the net and have a Clarion dealer install it. Tell them you're gonna do this and watch how fast they can get one in stock. :wink:

On the concerns regarding the speaker install I can only say this...

If you're gonna make an omelette, you gotta break a few eggs! :lol:

Take care.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.