Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about AudioBahn speakers? I was checking these out on-line after numerous hours of research and thought they looked pretty good as replacements for the OEMs: http://ultimate-sounds.com/audiobahn/spk25.htm

Specs include:
6.5" 2-WAY COAXIAL SPEAKER

Double hi-flux neodymium magnet
Multi-layer honeycomb cone with butyl rubber surround
Multi-layer Kapton Voice Coil
Progressive spider with flat tinsel lead
18mm silk dome tweeter
Audiophile grade capacitors with polyswitch protection
Impedance: 4 ohm
Frequency Response: 40 Hz – 20 kHz
Power Handling: 100 Watts RMS Pair
Sensitivity: 94 dB 1W / 1M, Mounting Depth: 1.875 in.

Some places have them for $69.99 a pair. Are they worth a shot?

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:5a779174c8="Chip"]Anyone know anything about AudioBahn speakers?
Some places have them for $69.99 a pair. Are they worth a shot?[/quote:5a779174c8]

Not in my book. Audiobahn makes average subs but their full range speakers are dismal.

My advice to you would be to stick with well known brands like Infinity, Polk, JL Audio or MB Quart for your speakers and you can't go wrong. These manufacturers have products to match every price range.

Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My advice to you would be to stick with well known brands like Infinity, Polk, JL Audio or MB Quart for your speakers and you can't go wrong. These manufacturers have products to match every price range.
I was looking for something a little different. With your list, here's what I see lacking:
Infinity - too bright
Polk - too ordinary, kind of dull sounding
JL Audio - too expensive if you want a decent model
MB Quart - too expensive and not nearly efficient enough

With the audiobahns, you get a silk dome tweeter (smoother highs), high efficiency (94db @ 1w/1m) so I want have to change the amp right away, low mounting height (under two inches), neodymium magnet for good linearity and headroom, high grade caps, decent cone material, excellent frequency extention (down to 40 hz), and a good price.

When you say they're full-range speakers are dismal, have you actually heard this series? I believe this series is new and replaces many older models. They retail for $189.00 a pair and can be had for cheap. I was really wondering if anyone had experience with this particular model. If not, what do you recommend under $75 per pair?

I may just take a flyer and buy these anyway, since my stock front speakers have developed a buzz.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Chip - remember - you asked for opinions. Take my opinion for what it's worth (nothing). heh :D

Seriously though - it's difficult to know what your listening tastes are that's why I recommended a range of brands.

Yes, I've heard the Audiobahn line and the main reason I say they are dismal is because IMHO they sounded harsh (much like Infinity - I agree with you) - I felt as though I'd get ear fatigue listening to them for any kind of extended period.

As for the material quality and specs, yes - they seem to be OK but I've heard top quality speakers that sound like crap and low quality speakers that sound great for whatever reason. The only difference is how long each will last. Sensitivity is somewhat important to keep an eye on but it's far more impotant to look at the recommended RMS wattage of a speaker so you don't under or over drive it. Oh and just because a speaker can extend to a certain freq range doesn't mean it sounds good when doing so.

The ultimate test is your ear - I highly recommend finding an installer that will let you demo different speakers right in your car.

As for your budget, with the price range you're in - you can buy...

A good set of 6.5" MB Quart coaxials for $69.00 here: http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DKD116

A set of Crystal Mobile Sound 5.25" coaxials for $66.95 here: http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/crystal/index.htm

A set of JL Audio 6" coaxials for $79.95 here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3032289486&category=18799

A set of Pioneer 6.5" coaxials for $78.00 here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031369083&category=18799

BTW, those Pioneers really do sound surprisingly good with even just a small amount of power! They're a really good match for the power most head units put out and there are plenty of dealers who stand behind them.

Remember, this is just one man's opinion - your mileage may vary - buy what sounds good to your ear!:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks eMass! I wasn't trying to harsh on you...just trying to see what was up with that brand. It may be a moot point altogether, as I think I found THE perfect set of speakers. Remebering what you said about CDT Audio, I check around and found these http://www.cdtaudio.com/classislimcoaxial.htm. The CL-6x seems to be right up my alley. Slim, high tech, proven company that promises great sound. Best of all, I searched around and found some for around $85 per pair, which is more that I wanted to spend, but not by much. Here are some specs:

"Introducing CDT Audio's newest series of speakers called the Classic Slim Series. CDT sees a strong trend in cars getting smaller and smaller.
To address these smaller cars which sometimes have very slim doors,
we have come out with our slim series of Classic coaxials.
These exciting new models not only are extra slim, (2 inches CL-5X, 2.25" CL-6X in mounting depth) but due to new manufacturing techniques and efficiencies are available at incredibly low prices. Yet, typical of CDT Audio, the quality has not been compromised at all! The new models are called CL-5X (5.25" coaxial) and CL-6X (6" coaxial)."
Both share the following outstanding features:
Model: CL-6X (Slim Coaxial)

Features:
- Real butyl rubber surrounds for long life
- Compound curvature cone shape for our famous "Controlled
Dispersion Pattern"
- Carbon treated cones for natural, neutral, musical sound - Powder
coated red stamped steel basket for durability
- Kapton Former for high power handling
- Angle mount 3/4" metal dome tweeter for excellent imaging
- Stainless steel back plate for high power handling
- Ultra slim design for slim doors.
- Perfect rear fill speaker system

Specifications:
Midrange: 6"
Crossover: 6 dB.
Tweeter: Angle mount .75" metal dome
tweeter for perfect imaging
Power handling: 60 watts rms
Frequency response: 60Hz-20kHz
Sensitivity: 92 dB.
Mounting depth: 2.25"
Impedance: 4 Ohm

Thoughts??? Oh, and as for my musical tastes? I tend to lean heavily towards bands like Galactic, Soulive, and Medeski Martin & Wood. Kind of a jazz/jam/funk thing.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:d77d0ccaf2="Chip"]I think I found THE perfect set of speakers. Remebering what you said about CDT Audio, I check around and found these http://www.cdtaudio.com/classislimcoaxial.htm. The CL-6x seems to be right up my alley.

Thoughts?[/quote:d77d0ccaf2]

I've never heard these but knowing CDT - they can't be too far off the mark. If you get them, PLEASE post a review. If they're good they'll probably become my replacement speaker recommendation of choice for those without amps. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts