Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-P, 6 Spd, Turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided after a long debate to move forward with a turbo on my 2006 Element. I have an auto AWD and we decided given all the experiences we could find to swap to a manual. The manual is in and it drives great but we are having electrical gemlins. I read the thread from Eyecarvether4iam but his was a 2008 and we are thinking maybe there is some difference. We also have a k-pro installed and not throwing any codes but we have lost function in the speedo, back up lights, neutral safety and the cruise control. I'm just looking to see if anyone has any guidance on where to turn.
This is my first post so pre-apologize if my forum skills are not following the rules.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interested in following / helping out. What all have you done with the electrical so far? Which trans harness are you using? What sensors are plugged in / unplugged? What wiring has been done.

I was tempted by the swap too, but for my power level, and for how cheap the trans are, I thought I'd keep the auto.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
some random thoughts, which may or may not be helpful:

the vehicle speed sensor connects to the transmission, maybe the MT sensor is different than the AT sensor?

the reverse switch is attached to the transmission. MT vs AT difference?

neutral safety is an AT thing, not an MT thing. MT cares more about the clutch being depressed for starts, but doesn't care what gear is selected.

for cruise, there is the master switch on the dash panel and then the indicator light w.i the speedometer when it engages. there is the usual brake pedal switch to turn off cruise when the brakes are pressed. there is a similar switch to turn off cruise when the clutch is depressed. do you have the clutch switch hooked up?

also, i think the ECU for MT and AT are different.

and, Honda uses connector for multiple purposes, so just because connectors match up doesn't mean they have the signals on the same pins.

as i said, just some random thoughts. hope they help.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nacranym is right on point with almost everything, & I agree that all of the things that are not working are things primarily associated with connections to the transmission so likely to be a wiring mix up on a harness or two.

The ECU is different between MT & AT, however the Kpro setup you have is likely geared toward the MT setup so that shouldnt be a problem. Honestly your best bet would likely be the Kpro forums as the Element has very similar wiring to the RSX, and our K24's are very popular low cost swaps for RSX's & Civics, and likely to have detailed wiring diagrams and pinouts available to you.

But by all means share any info you find here because it would be great to have it here too.

·
Registered
2006 EX-P, 6 Spd, Turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Auto to manual swap

Just posting a follow up on this. We ended up swapping the ECU for a manual CRV ecu and that solved all of the issues except cruise control but it it has caused a new issue associated with the key immobilizer. We think we have an idea for that but may involve some honda dealer help. Not sure yet on the cruise. The master switch on the dash lights up but the cruise indicator in the speedo does not light up and no cruise function.

On the positive side we are making 414 hp and 362 ft-lbs. it is quite a different experience driving the element now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
more info?

Man, I've really been considering doing a swap to manual since this auto gets such atrocious mileage, and the J6 swap is only available for the manual so far.

Do you have any more info on how that swap went, or what was needed? Seems like it might be a "find a parts car" kinda deal.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Do you have steering wheel audio controls too? If you do and those controls DO work then this is an unlikely diagnostic:

The 5 wires in the steering wheel reel may be mixed up for the CRV ecu in some way. No idea if that signal goes through the ECU or not.

·
Registered
2006 EX-P, 6 Spd, Turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update auto manual swap

Just an update. We had to do a bunch of one off fixes but we have gotten the cruise to work and the back up lights to now work. The fixes were both just wiring creativity. The ECU was not a barrier it is really just creativity navigating electronics.
To answer billdapart there was a ton needed. There is an old adage that you get to pick two of these three: fast, cheap and reliable. I am lucky that I was able to choose fast and reliable.

Currently the element is in the final stage of putting in the LSD and 6 speed conversion. With that I should see that mileage creep back towards 30 on the highway. Plus way less wheel spin in first, second and even, third.

I will post a mod list once it is all done. It I cannot thank my freinds at VIP Performance in Portland OR enough for helping with this project.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Following..... I have plans to swap my 08 from A/T FWD to M/T AWD. I was hoping it would be no more than ECU/Engine Harness (cheap)and I'm going to try and find an 08 trans for the swap.(not cheap) Pedals are still available new and rather cheap compared to used EF stuff....... I bought an AWD CRV last year to mess with instead of this, found out if I had an AWD Element my insurance would be $60 more a month..... Eff that, sold it and I will swap my E instead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
3 years later I now have 2 Elements one 08 AT, and now a 6 speed manual ..... and yet still I am looking for some solid info on AT to MT Element swapping .... I have subframe, transmissions, a dash, pedals including clutch M/C to S/C... looking for the right FWD at to swap ...... yeah, and here we are nada... I promise if/when I do the swap I'll document it all

·
Registered
23 Posts
3 years later I now have 2 Elements one 08 AT, and now a 6 speed manual ..... and yet still I am looking for some solid info on AT to MT Element swapping .... I have subframe, transmissions, a dash, pedals including clutch M/C to S/C... looking for the right FWD at to swap ...... yeah, and here we are nada... I promise if/when I do the swap I'll document it all
Can you please share what you have found? I have been looking for years for an 08 blue AWD EX 5spd Element and never find one. At this point I think it would be much easier for me to just find a junkyard AWD 5-spd and pull everything I need from it to do the AT -> MT conversion.

That being said, I've done two auto to manual swaps in Hondas before but only an old ED Civic (88-91), and my buddy's 91 Prelude. For those as I recall pretty much you needed:

manual transmission
trans mount and bolts
flywheel and bolts
clutch kit (disc, pressure plate, release bearing, etc)
clutch master and slave cylinders
clutch hydraulic line
manual pedal assembly
manual trans ECU
manual shifter assembly and cables
manual gauge cluster (optional, though I think you can just swap the gauge that has the auto gear selector indicator so you don't lose your odometer)

If this is basically the same for the Element what I'm wanting to do is get that TSX K24 since they're dirt cheap now (JDM ones are under $1k all over the place), convert to manual but while doing this put a LSD and 6th gear in the manual transmission.

Assuming I can find a donor car in a junkyard, and that those are all the parts I'd need I'm pretty sure I could get the transmission swap parts for $500 or less, but I'm not sure about the immobilizer since it's coded to the ECU as I understand?

Also, if swapping to the TSX (well JDM Accord Euro R in this case) can we even use an Element ECU or do we have to use some other ECU like the TSX etc?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have completed this swap in a Civic and it was pretty easy.. only thing that got me at the end was the park switch / chutch switch.. I had forgotten that it was needed...
woul dnot start when I was done...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have completed this swap in a Civic and it was pretty easy.. only thing that got me at the end was the park switch / chutch switch.. I had forgotten that it was needed...
woul dnot start when I was done...
ah that's right, I'm assuming it's probably best to just get an under-dash harness rather than having to add your own custom wiring for the clutch pedal switches?

side note, my first real car was an '88 Prelude 2.0Si 5 speed and it did not have a factory clutch safety switch - I think they didn't start using them until 89 or 90.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The switch thats used for when the car is in pack is the same switch used for the clutch switch..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts