Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably not possible but what would you have to do to make the drivers side passenger window switch auto up/down? In a simple universe you should be able to switch the switch with the auto one. I sure there are sensors and electronics to deal to make it not that easy......

Couldn't Honda make that an option next year?

4 n d y

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is one of those things that really bugs me about the E. I only have 2 power windows and 1 is auto up/down and the other isn't. I was thinking of seeing if they were separate units and would interchange. If so, I could then order another drivers side unit for the passenger side.

·
Registered
894 Posts
One would think that the Japanese model has the required circuitry....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry, short of major surgery this is a no-go. The motor is different on each side, the drivers contains a pulser circuit. The drivers switch has a control unit which reads the pulses to determine if the window is fully up or down, and both of the window switches are molded into the same unit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has thought about making the passenger window also auto "single touch" up and down like the drivers side? Anyone know what may be involved?
I am very interested!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great minds think alike. I was wondering the same thing and does there have to be anything other than the dual-action switch used on the drivers side.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think it's possible, short of MAJOR expenses. You would need to replace the passenger side window motor, add extra wiring to the drivers side door and build a custom switch. The drivers side window switches are built together into one unit. It isn't just a matter of replacing one switch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is it a matter of the switch or the controller? I was thinking there was a window brain for each door somewhere and if I got a driver "brain" and attached it it would work on either side?

·
Registered
299 Posts
The switch mechanically has a second position both up and down, so you'd need that switch. Currently, you pull/push to go up/down and if you want all the way, you pull/push to the extra position.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is there a suitable replacement from another Honda which has both driver and passenger auto down and up positions? Also what controls this functionality the switch, a "brain", the motor?

·
Registered
351 Posts
"what controls this functionality the switch, a "brain", the motor?"

Both. The motor has a "pulser" that sends a signal to the switch, the switch has a circuit that looks for these pulses to determine when the window is fully closed or open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i want to make the passenger side window auto-down as well. what would this require? buying some relays to add into the wiring and a new window switch?

anyone know? thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Check with a reputable stereo shop for an alarm add on. Previously I had a 95 Civic that I had an alarm installed with window controls which allowed me to open and close either the driver or passenger side with a touch of the factory window controls. It wasn't very expensive and I'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult to wire up yourself.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It's not a simple fix. I believe the issue is that the controls and motor are also different on the driver's side, since the controls have to detect the motor strain and also have to be trained to detect it.

-brendan

·
Registered
273 Posts
[quote:ffaf7163f6=" "] since the controls have to detect the motor strain and also have to be trained to detect it.

-brendan[/quote:ffaf7163f6]

Well really all you need are a pair of limit switches and a holding relay. The motor can stay. If you could get a wrecked drivers side door or purchase the parts from a dealer. All you would need to do is figure out how to install them. Sounds easy but is it? :D

·
Acura Tech
325 Posts
this might help, info from an RSX service manual.

Power Windows
How the Circuit Works
CAUTION: You could injure your arms, hands, or
fingers if you unintentionally switch the driver’s
window to “automatic down” while working in
that door with the power on. Disconnect the window
switch connector or the battery when working
in the driver’s door.
System Description
The operation of the power windows is controlled by
the main switch in the power window master switch.
When the main switch is in OFF, only the driver’s
door window can be opened or closed. With the
main switch ON, all windows can be opened or
closed either by switches in the master panel, or
switches in the doors. The driver’s window switch
also has an automatic down mode which is turned
on by holding the switch down momentarily.
The power windows are driven by reversible motors.
Each motor is protected by a built-in circuit breaker.
If the window switch is held on too long (with the
window obstructed, or after the window is fully up or
down), the circuit breaker opens the circuit. The
circuit breaker resets automatically as it cools.
Driver’s Window
With the ignition switch in ON, voltage is provided to
the coil of the power window relay through fuse 6.
The contacts of the power window relay close, and
voltage is applied to the driver’s switch. When you
push the power window master switch to UP, voltage
is applied to the driver’s power window motor. (The
motor’s ground path is back through the power
window master switch.) The driver’s power window
motor then drives the window up. When you push the
switch to DOWN, voltage is applied in the opposite
direction and the motor drives the window down.
Auto Down
With the ignition switch in ON or START, voltage is
applied to the coil of the power window relay. The
contacts of the power window relay close and
voltage is applied to the power window master
switch. When you hold the driver’s switch down
momentarily, voltage is applied through the driver’s
switch to the driver’s window motor. The control
unit receives pulses at the pulser input while the
motor is running. When the window is fully down,
the motor stops, and pulses are no longer
generated by the pulser. This is sensed by the
control unit at the pulser input, and voltage is no
longer applied to the driver’s window motor.
Auto Up
With the ignition switch in ON or START, voltage is
applied to the coil of the power window relay. The
contacts of the power window relay close and voltage
is applied to the power window master switch. When
you hold the driver’s switch up momentarily, voltage is
applied through the driver’s switch to the driver’s
window motor. The control unit receives pulses at the
pulser input while the motor is running. When the
window is fully up, the motor stops, and pulses are no
longer generated by the pulser. This is sensed by the
control unit at the pulser input, and voltage is no
longer applied to the driver’s window motor.
Passenger Windows
With the ignition switch in ON, voltage is applied to
the coil of the power window relay through fuse 6.
The contacts of the power window relay then close,
applying voltage to the individual window switches
and the power window master switch. With the
master panel main switch ON, the passenger
windows can be operated from the individual
window switches or from the master panel switches.
When you push the front passenger’s window
switch to UP, voltage is applied to the front
passenger’s window motor. (The motor is
grounded through the contacts in the front
passenger’s window switch and the power window
master switch.) The window moves up as long as
you hold the switch in the UP position. If you push
the switch to DOWN, voltage is applied in the
opposite direction to the front passenger’s window
motor, and the window moves down as long as you
hold the switch in the DOWN position. The window
switches in the other doors operate similarly.
When you push the front passenger’s switch in the
master panel to UP, voltage is applied through the
front passenger

·
Registered
273 Posts
"The control
unit receives pulses at the pulser input while the
motor is running." Quote

This makes sense. I suppose it uses the pulse in addition to limit switches. I know if you put your arm in the path of the window while its moving up it will stop and open all the way. As opposed to just stopping because no pulses are being sent to the motor control circuit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If this were easy I would do it in a second. I really got spoiled driving my parnets BMW since both windows are auto up and down.

·
Registered
755 Posts
"Each motor is protected by a built-in circuit breaker.
window obstructed, or after the window is fully up or
down), the circuit breaker opens the circuit."

But that makes it sound as if there are not limit switches. In fact, none are mentioned. If I'm reading this correctly, the motor is obstructed, either by the window's natural hitting of it's stop or something in its path, and so the circuit breaker cuts of voltage.

"I know if you put your arm in the path of the window while its moving up it will stop and open all the way."

I didn't know it would do that --- interesting that it isn't mentioned in the RSX piece either ... But if so, that means the passenger window already has the ability to auto-go-down. Perhaps it's only the switch that's lacking?

Could it be that simple? What am I missing? The only thing I see different about the driver's side is that it has a switch that has a detent that does the "holding" of it for you, or more accurately sends a constant request --- when the window hits something it stops the motor.

Since motor pulses determine if the control unit sends voltage, and not the switch, the switch as effectively out of the loop as soon as you select Auto.

A difference I see is what the control unit does next. In these newer vehicles it seems simpler because it's all electronic, but in my '91 Accord (and say, my folks' '99 CR-V) the control unit appears to send a signal BACK to the driver's switch and kinda "kick it out" of the auto position --- you can actually hear the switch click back although visually it hasn't moved.

I really think Honda missed the boat here; the passenger side should also have a door lock switch. That might be my next mod; there's a DIY on this site if I recall.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Each motor is protected by a built-in circuit breaker.

"But that makes it sound as if there are not limit switches. In fact, none are mentioned. If I'm reading this correctly, the motor is obstructed, either by the window's natural hitting of it's stop or something in its path, and so the circuit breaker cuts of voltage."quote

Ok think about this. "The windows natural hitting of its stop" the motor does'nt know what the natural hitting of its stop is there has to be something in the circuit to cut current flow to the motor when the window goes up and down all the way. But there also has to be something in the circuit that lets the motor know it has'nt gone all the way up if obstructed and then open back up to free the obstruction.

"I know if you put your arm in the path of the window while its moving up it will stop and open all the way."

"I didn't know it would do that --- interesting that it isn't mentioned in the RSX piece either ... But if so, that means the passenger window already has the ability to auto-go-down. Perhaps it's only the switch that's lacking?"quote

Only the drivers side window will open back after hitting an obstruction. The passanger side will hold tight. I guess the engineers made the drivers side go up because a backseat passanger could put their arm out of the window and the driver not notice?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts