Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about people's auto window function going out and requiring reset, but mine is doing something different. It works fine in manual mode, but when I run it in auto mode to close it, it reaches the top (closed) and then reverses, and then stops about halfway rolled down. There doesn't seem to be anything interfering with the window as it closes. Any ideas before I spend a buck at the dealer?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sounds like it may need to be reprogrammed... search for that sequence on here. Wish you luck.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Does anyone know if that is a response from a safety mechanism? I'm just not sure, but it reminds me of garage door openers which will stop and reverse with enough resistance. *shrug* interesting problem though. It's a new one to me with any car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Answer

Had to take it to the dealer...was a bad Window Regulator. Interesting thing was that the service guy said he had three of them the same day I brought mine in. I wonder if there is a widespread problem? (My Element is 4-1/2 years old with about 65K miles).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Weird auto up window problem

I searched but couldn't find an answer to my problem. Today, when closing the window on the drivers side with the auto up feature, the window will close completely and then go back down half way and stop. It works fine without auto up. Anyone ever heard of this before? And if so, what is the fix for it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never mind, I did the auto up reset by holding the button for two seconds and it fixed it. I assumed since the other posts about the auto up not working after the battery was disconnected/replaced that it did not apply to my situation.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
It goes back down automatically if it meets some sort of restriction in the frame.

If you have window vents that mount in the frame, it may cause a bit of resistance, and the window will automatically go back down half way. this is a safety feature that may one day save your fingers....

·
Registered
963 Posts
Mine did that prior to my window visor install, usually on extremely hot or cold days. Assume its expansion of the window guide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drivers Window Raises 1/2 Way then Retracts down again?

Thanks for the tip! When I go to press the electric window button to have the window close, it raises about halfway and then drops down for no reason at all. I just figured it was breaking. Based on what you're saying it could be due to the humidity level in the air? If that is the case it makes me feel a bit better being that I live in south Florida and the our average humidity in the summer is about 95%. Do you know if there is anything else I should know about this issue? Any help would appreciated!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Don't sweat it (no pun intended)! The auto-up window feature on the E is the most sensitive when it comes to climate. It can be annoying sometimes, but if that's the worst problem you come across with your Element, then your doing ok. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driver Side Window

Here is the problem. When I use the automatic window all the way up feature of the button the window goes up then down half-way.

This is an intermittent problem and (don't you know it) never does it when I'm at the dealer.

They (the dealer) lubricated it. Didn't fix it. It seems to be worse in cold weather.

Any suggestions?

Chase

·
Registered
156 Posts
auto power window trouble

My driver's auto power window is having trouble. It goes up and down just fine if I DO NOT use the auto feature. If I use the auto feature, It goes DOWN fine, but the UP feature is a different story.

When I click the auto up, it goes all the way up and then automatically goes about 1/2 the way down. I've tried to re-set the auto feature as described in the manual, but I get no change.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
You might try pulling fuse # 13 (40 amp) in the Under Hood Fuse / Relay Box out for a few minutes then replace it and try to re-initialize the auto function.

Not sure if that would work to be honest with you, but it would be the first thing I would try.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Did you disconnect your battery recently? Look up in the manual on how to reset the auto feature if you did. I think you hold it all the way down and keep holding for a few extra seconds, then do the same thing for up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Some time with the "search" function has lead me to an answer. It might be that my window regulator has crapped out. I can't find the price for one online. I was hoping to find out how much they should cost before I call my local dealer.

Anybody know where to get a price on the driver's window regulator?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same exact problem. My window would go up half way then go back down. Then, a couple of weeks ago, my wife is driving and goes to roll up the window and SNAP the cable broke in a thunderstorm just as she was pulling on the highway to take me to the airport! She rode the whole time with her hand pushing on the glass to keep it up in the storm. What a nightmare. I'm using a wooden ruler to hold the sucker in place until I can fix it.

I found the part we both need here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry you have the same trouble, but thanks for the response. That part isn't as bad as I thought it might be. My passenger's side window regulator was replaced under warranty. These regulators sure aren't built worth a crap.

now to find instructions for taking the door panel off..........

·
12,179 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks.

I'm not in a big hurry to do this job, but I'll try to take some photos and make some notes on replacing the regulator.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts