Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me tell you about my morning....

Everyone knows Monday's suck, but they suck worse when you sit outside your car for 10 seconds mashing the key fob until you annoyedly have to open the door manually only to find the reason your key fob wasn't opening the door was because you left the $&%*# headlights on and now the battery's dead.

I grew accustomed to my auto on/offs with my Corolla, and now I'm wondering if there's a kit to hook this up? And has anyone done this?

If not, I guess it's time to reinvest in an AAA membership....:roll:

Another possibility would be to find someway to wire the existing headlamps just so that they automatically shut off after x minutes. Which would actually be nicer because that would mean that I could shut the lights off with the car still running at night.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
I don't recall anyone doing this conversion, though it has come up a few times over the years. Would be an interesting project. Until then, train yourself to turn off the headlights ... or to recognize the chime that sounds when you open the driver's door while the headlights are on.

·
Registered
599 Posts
All praise the gods of Google for no question remains unanswered in their kingdom.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...5-automatic-headlights-installed-working.html

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=1234

The kit is a DEI 545t, not sure if there's a newer model these days or not but it's pretty cheap and seems easy enough to install. I can't say I'd recommend it for those running HID's since it probably pulses the headlights as you turn the key past ON to START when starting the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All praise the gods of Google for no question remains unanswered in their kingdom.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...5-automatic-headlights-installed-working.html

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=1234

The kit is a DEI 545t, not sure if there's a newer model these days or not but it's pretty cheap and seems easy enough to install. I can't say I'd recommend it for those running HID's since it probably pulses the headlights as you turn the key past ON to START when starting the engine.
Lol, of course I googled first! But I was still interested in coming here to get thoughts/opinions, and see if anyone else had actually successfully done it.

I guess this is my time to shine, and be the EOC Auto-Headlights Pioneer!

Will do some research and order a kit hopefully this week.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The DEI kit looks like a more complete solution compared with what my '96 Corolla did. All it did was turn the lights off if I opened the door. They came back on once I started the car. I'd think all you'd need for that is some sort of relay.

Keep us posted on what you decide. It may be a mod I would consider. (Says he who has yet to install the grill guard he purchased almost 3 years ago.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I just ordered the DEI kit so now I'm kinda committed.

It's just a real bummer that I have to choose between this and running HIDs. I *had* been HID shopping before this mess....

But not being late to work/stuck somewhere because of a dead battery > HIDs.

I suppose if I really wanted HIDs, I could just spring for a battery jumper, but.....sigh.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Guys what is it you're wanting to do? Is it simply turning the lights on when the car starts and off when it is turned off? If so, then just put a normally open relay in the ground circuit - the black wire connected to pin #12 of the headlight switch. Wire the coil up to a switched source. (my favorite being the 'V' connector, pin #3). That way the thing will turn on when the E is in 'RUN' position and off at all other times. ;-)

Right off, I would recommend putting a toggle switch across the contacts in order to bypass the whole thing so that one could still use the headlights and/or parking lights without having to leave the keys in the E. :|

If you're looking at a 'delay off' kinna thing, then we would have to do something else, easiest way that pops to mind would be a 'time delay relay' or building a small circuit to do the same thing.

If you looking at 'full auto' i/e: turning on/off as a response to conditions - ambient light then we would have to build up some type of detection circuit or go with some type of existing aftermarket system. Any of this is feasible, it all depends on what you're after.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, maybe the guy that posted up the DRL sticky could help us out with this...it would seem like a simple mod for someone good at reading schematics.

I'm *decent* at reading schematics....t'was my job in the Army. But that was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, and I certainly wouldn't mind back-up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Option 1 is all that I'm looking to do. I don't need the look of a time delay or light sensitive on off. Seems simple enough when I get a chance I will try it. Any suggestions on the size rating for the relay?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Option 1 is all that I'm looking to do. I don't need the look of a time delay or light sensitive on off. Seems simple enough when I get a chance I will try it. Any suggestions on the size rating for the relay?

Just grab a standard 30 or 40 amp automotive relay. You need the higher current because this relay will carry the entire lighting load.

It's a fairly easy mod - you're going to have to cut one wire, and add one other one - add one relay and you're pretty much done. However, I would highly recommend adding a SPST toggle switch across the relay terminals so one can by-pass the whole 'auto turn off' function for those times when one really needs to have the lights on without having the keys in the car. Trust me, if you don't add the switch one day you are gonna be so pissed that you didn't. :roll:

Here's the whole deal, go get you a relay like this one (these folks are great to deal with). For the money, grab two... ;-) Anyway, it really doesn't matter where you get it, just get one with a 40 amp contact rating, and a 12v coil.

What you want is either a SPDT or a SPST relay (four or five pins - it really doesn't matter one way or the other get whichever you can find.)

Four pin SPST
Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory Electrical supply

Five pin SPDT
Auto part Electronic device Electrical supply

Now the fun part, open up the plastic cover over the steering column and locate the light switch. Now find the black wire at pin #12. You want to trace this wire back down the column till you see it actually terminate on the frame. If I remember correctly it terminates on the center of the dash - about where your knee would be if you're sitting in the drivers seat. Someone will have to actually check this and make certain because I'm pulling this from memory - and at my age it's a challenge to even remember much of anything.

Once you actually see this wire go from the switch to the frame chances are pretty good that you have the right wire. So let's look and see a location somewhere along the run where we can stash the relay... Once you determine that, cut the black wire in two.

Four pin relay #s
Text Line Diagram Design Font

Five pin relay #s
Text Line Diagram Design Parallel

You want to connect the end of the black wire that is coming from the light switch to pin #30 of the relay (you also want to connect one leg of the toggle switch to this pin - you are going to put the by-pass switch in, right?).

The other end of the wire (the one that goes to the body) will connect to pins #86 and #87 - and the other leg of your toggle switch.

Now all you need to do is make a connection from the center pin ('V3') of the 'V' connector to pin #85 of the relay.

Under Dash Fuse Relay Box
red arrow pointing to V connector
Finger Technology Plastic Electronic device Gadget

V3 pin is the center pin

Product Auto part Technology Electronic device Electrical connector

Grab you a ziptie or two and tie that puppy right to the wire harness so it's out of the way, and you're done.

Once you do this, just turn the light switch on and leave it. If you wired this up correctly the lights will NOT work, none of them until you turn the key to the 'RUN' ('I') position and of course go out when you turn the car off.

If you put the toggle switch in, you will have the ability to override the whole thing and actually use the lights without having to put the key in and turn the car on.

I'll have to actually look and see, but if memory serves correctly this shouldn't interfere with anything else, the parking lights should still flash when the key-fob locks / unlocks the doors and that kinna thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I must do things the hard way, I am looking for the "response to conditions" version. The kit's been shipped.....hopefully I can have a good look at it this weekend and maybe even get it installed if I can find someplace to work where I won't melt in the Texas heat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is great and thanks for the help...I would think this should go in the sticky section. If you would be even kinder than you already have been and let us know what you find with how this effects the other lights or not...it would be most excellent. I will see if I can pick up a relay locally and plan my attack for the next free couple of hours I can find to do this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I get the kit, I intend on doing a write up with pics to show others how to do it. Assuming that I don't totally blow it, lol. And that future post is probably what should get stickied if anything at all gets stickied.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
Wouldn't it be simpler to have an annoying solid state buzzer that sounds whenever the lights are on and the key is out of the ignition?

Oh ... wait... I already have one Honda built it in. :lol:

For those who don't like buzzers, perhaps some reminder lights that shine whenever the headlights are on . . . say 110 Watts?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.