• Manual

Votes: 137 42.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Real women drive sticks.

(and don't you just love the LOOK of the stick on my 2007? or all they all this cute? a bit on the small side, but seems to have no issues about it... it's a happy little stick, it is! :):):)

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow, the MT owners are winning ?!? I figured there were way more AT owners out there. Guess they don't know how to represent!

Holla!

Sorry, my whiteness wasn't able to stop me from saying that :razz:

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm guessing there's a ton more AT drivers out there... it's just that we MT's are so excited to have MT's, we're more likely to answer a poll about it? :)

And the poll's just starting... i bet it starts rounding out in the other direction as it goes along...

Love my happy stick, I do!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I voted for what I have but...

I would have preferred to have a MT. I just didn't have time to wait for the dealer to find me one.:sad:

·
Registered
116 Posts
funcar4me said:
I would have preferred to have a MT. I just didn't have time to wait for the dealer to find me one.:sad:
You bought a new one I'm guessing?

Yeah, I looked all over God's green Earth for an MT, and scored one off Carfax search at....cough cough, a Dodge dealer!
Obviously wasn't new..

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
funcar4me said:
Next time - IF there's a next time - insist on your preference. If they still refuse, walk away and find another dealer who will meet your need.

By caving-in to the dealer's poor inventory and lack of desire to provide what the customer wants, you have put another notch in the marketing numbers that "prove" that nobody buys M/T vehicles. With Honda it is becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy - they dropped the M/T CR-V from the lineup because they "weren't selling any". Well, they weren't selling any because dealers wouldn't put them on the lots and buyers weren't standing for the 3-4 month wait to get one on an order basis.

We encountered the same problem with our new Civic Sedan. Nobody in the region had the Sedan in M/T, in any trim level. So we broadened our search, and found a dealer who, no, didn't have one, but went the extra mile to find one for a dealer swap. They got our business.

Don't give in. By giving in, you increased the likelihood you won't even have the option in the future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I drive an automatic mainly because I'm lazy. MTs are fun but start to annoy me in traffic which there is plenty of where I live.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MT for control!

Bought it today...I have to wait til wednesday (dealer swap, delivered to my driveway) on my TRP 4WD MT LX. Not too bad of a wait considering Easter. I did the "fax attack" buying approach $18,900 + tax, $45.00 doc fee, $12.50 tires. I think it worked out fairly well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love my Automatic!! I had spent 25 years driving sticks and it was great. Then came two kids and wanting to enjoy a cup of coffee on the way to work. This is my first AT vehicle and probably not my last. I just put my E in D and watch the heads turn!!!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Mmm. Interesting to see the difficulty that some of you have had finding an MT Element. When my car was purchased, the dealership had 4 Elements on the lot ready to go. There were 2 ATs and 2 MTs, one LX and one EX-P trims for each. We found out later that this was the regular stock of Elements at this particular dealership. Since 2006 had the then new painted panels, there were no unpainted EX's ready to be sold.

It truly is an easy drive compared to all the other manuals I have driven in my life (not many, and for an around the block trip). Even the 06 Civic MT is a bit harder to drive compared to my 06. *shrug*

So far the MT's are still winning on the polls (to my surprise). Where are all the AT drivers?

Oh! Out of additional curiosity, a question for the MT drivers: Has anyone been asked "is it easy to drive with the shifter up there?" I tell them that it's surprisingly comfortable...

·
Registered
66 Posts
In an ideal world I would have been more patient.

However, my car was non-functioning and I got tired of renting cars to get me to and from work (Public transportation is virtually non-existent here--I'd have to ride a bus more than 3 miles in the wrong direction and transfer three times to get to work). I'd already driven MTs for most of my driving life and figured I'd just try an AT for once.

Most of my short commute is in city traffic anyway so I will admit that it's nice to not have to shift all of the time. I still really miss it in the winter though. I just feel safer in the ice and snow when I'm handling the shifting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I never learned how to drive a manual so when it was time for me to buy a Element it was a easy choice, I went with the automatic. I would like to learn how to drive a manual soon, just so I have that skill.

·
Registered
760 Posts
wastedonanime said:
Oh! Out of additional curiosity, a question for the MT drivers: Has anyone been asked "is it easy to drive with the shifter up there?" I tell them that it's surprisingly comfortable...
YES!!! Yes, and yes.

the first time I saw the stick poking out up there I giggled my head off. It was the cutest little... thing... I ever saw.

And then when I drove it... the giggling turned to awe and love.

I generally prefer manual over auto, being the control freak I am, but I have lower back problems which makes shifting a bit tough in some cars where the gear shift is particularly tight or low on the ground, requiring lots of reaching down and angling that's bad for my back.

The location of the stick on my E is PURRFECT. There is absolutely no strain on my back, no uncomfortable reaching down, it's pretty darn effortless and just feels natural, like it BELONGS there. In some ways it reminds me very much of driving an auto, with how smooth it is and close to the wheel...

... but I get to keep all the control that the control freak in me loves.

Best of both worlds.

I've never driven a stick that just felt so... RIGHT.

:)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I do way too much driving in San Francisco to drive manual!

Still in awe of my mom growing up in that city and LEARNING to drive stick there! Crazy stuff!

But seriously folks....I have back/sciatica problems that affect my left leg. So its "pussamatic" for me.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Manual for me.

Out of my six cars, only one has been an automatic: a 2001 CR-V. I only ended up with it because my truck was suffering from classic General Motors early-onset jalopy-syndrome, and I traded it for my wife's Mazda and took her CR-V. I kept it for only 9 months before I couldn't stand it any longer! (To her credit, the CR-V is the only automatic she's driven since we got married.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I drive too much too in SF. I really have no preference as i can do both, and it doesn't annoy. though the manual doesn't give me enough benefits over the auto. One thing for sure, I hate SF hills(more like mountains) and I travel those alot, It's a b!tch either in mt or at. (think grid lock traffic). my friend is a hardcore mt driver, say he has more control. he goes around the hills, where's the control in that.

on a side note, to talk sh!t about him since he will never read this. he can't downshift, never engine brake(rides in neutral). he only ride the gears higher(his term of control). which all can be done in an auto.

·
Registered
717 Posts
rymo926 said:
I drive too much too in SF. I really have no preference as i can do both, and it doesn't annoy. though the manual doesn't give me enough benefits over the auto. One thing for sure, I hate SF hills(more like mountains) and I travel those alot, It's a b!tch either in mt or at. (think grid lock traffic). my friend is a hardcore mt driver, say he has more control. he goes around the hills, where's the control in that.

on a side note, to talk sh!t about him since he will never read this. he can't downshift, never engine brake(rides in neutral). he only ride the gears higher(his term of control). which all can be done in an auto.
Here in the Monterey area there are hills of the same caliber. They don't bother me. I guess I've just spent so long in a manual that I don't think about it. I'm far more bothered by automatics that try to inch forward every time you take your foot off the brake, and downshift on hills where it isn't really necessary.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts