Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a lot about the manual transmission E's being peppier or giving a sportier feel to the drive etc and even a bit better mileage. I even see a bit of auto trans "bashing" as I read through the forums. When I found mine it happened to have an automatic. I loved the black color and EX/AWD setup. I would have bought it with a manual or automatic.

So, let's hear it from those of you who actually prefer an automatic transmission... Those who have gone up steep mountain passes or driven in traffic around town and still love their auto transmissions etc. etc.

For me, I really like an auto trans - one because I bought one ;-) and two I like it in day to day traffic after a long work day.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I bought a manual because it has a really slick shifter. It's the best shifting FWD manual I've ever driven.

(That plus the fact that I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission in the last forty years.)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I bought a dogomatic:twisted: because my wife cant drive a standard.
But the 5 spd auto works very well it impresed me (BTW my wife has ben a Element fan since 03)

·
Registered
359 Posts
...besides the fact that the automatic was much more convenient for my work, there was no MPG improvement for a manual, so we chose an auto.

·
Registered
202 Posts
After 36 years of driving manual transmission vehicles, my new Element is my first automatic. It's also my first car with power windows and power door locks. I don't know why the heck I waited so long. Driving in Seattle traffic, automatic is a godsend. Also, after spending 36 years of trying to sell my used manual transmission vehicles to a public that doesn't know how to shift, I feel relieved that my autotrans Element will be an easy sell relative a manual trans Element when the time comes to buy my new diesel/hybrid Element.

Plus, the countless road trips I've been on where I had to drive the entire way because none of my passengers could drive a manual. No more!

Plus, I can finally eat a big-mac and drive in city traffic at the same time. MMMMMMMM good!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Auto Trans....

Prior to purchasing my "E", the only other Automatic I've owned was on a 1977 GMC Pick-up that I had in Idaho for a couple of years. I am a fan of manual transmissions. When it came time to purchase the Element, the dealer could not (or possibly, would not) find me a manual. My Root Beer Metallic SC showed up on his lot with an Auto during that search for an '09 SC with a manual.

After a couple of months I caved and bought the '08 RBM with the Auto. The only "complaint" that I have with it is the way it "hunts" when pulling hills on the interstate. I don't like the constant shifting of gears. Now, I had to sometimes "row" my manual on those same hills. But, I could control when it up or down shifted.

It is not a big thing.... and I am adjusting slowly. The other problem it presents me is that I often have trouble removing the ignition key (cause I KEEP forgetting to put it in PARK!!! :064:)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I love mine. The only deal I have with manuals is that sooner or later the clutch has to be replaced and I don't want to have to do that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Main reason I got an auto was for my wife (cant drive a manual, tried and I almost got sick in the car) and because I was tired of having to change gears all the time in my previous car.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
All my cars had been manual before i bought my first E. Traffic was getting worse on my commute and one night after sitting in traffic for 30 minutes and not getting out of first gear once i had finally had enough.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Driving in Seattle traffic, automatic is a godsend.
Driving a stick-shift in CHICAGO traffic-still fun! :grin: And I'm as serious as a heart attack when I say that. Even sitting in parking lot traffic on Lakeshore Drive on Friday nights, I still prefer the stick-shift (although when I had the old Astro van earlier this year, I had a LOT of fun with that in Chicago... Something about WINNING the rule of crush! :evil:).

As for my transmission choice in relation to a spouse... My BF can drive stick-shift, but if he couldn't, that'd be his problem, not mine. That's why we each have our own car!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Number one real reason people don't by manuals.

wifey can't/won't drive one.;-)
Don't have that problem either, I learned to shift on her car that I now drive everyday.

number two, can't talk on the cell phone and drive at the same time.
If you can't drive a manual and talk on the cell phone... I figured that one out. Left hand to hold phone, right hand to shift. Drop the phone if traffic goes crazy. It's even easier when I remember my earpiece.

Now having said that. I'd rather drive the Element home from work, traffic is just too much of a pain in the rear to enjoy the manual.

I don't think the E gear hunts. You go uphill, computer downshifts to maintain speed. I've not noticed any hunting. You can avoid downshifting by not using cruise control and just let off the gas a bit to go up hill slower.

I think the 5AT is a huge improvement over the 4AT.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like both for various reasons, but with a torn right rotator cuff and very occasional gout in my left big toe, the choice is sort of made for me. Stop-and-go traffic is almost unheard of around here. I like the automatic because it's one less thing to deal with, though.

Speaking of cell phones and driving, I saw a guy talking on one yesterday while he was 1) driving a tractor trailer, 2) on a two-lane road, 3) at least 15 mph over the 45 mph speed limit, 4) at twilight, 5) with other vehicles around. I'm surprised he had the brains to dial.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
This is my first ever AT and don't have any issues with driving it. I test drove several MT Elements and honestly don't feel much difference between them as far as pickup/peppiness goes. The Element isn't a speed demon and anyone who tries to say it is with an MT is just crazy.

I have driven all over this country up/down mountains and don't have an issue with the AT. We had the Element packed to the gills with camping equipment driving from NY to Yellowstone and didn't have a single issue. We were able to quite easily cruise at 85-90 up/down hills through SD and Wyoming. :-D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oops

You can avoid downshifting by not using cruise control and just let off the gas a bit to go up hill slower.
Thanks for the memory jog breese.... It was while using the cruise that I had the "hunting".

I've no problem or complaint with the Auto at all.... It would just not normally, be my first choice.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,022 Posts
I like my 5AT for city driving, on the highway it becomes annoying with the constant downshifting on even the slightest hill. Above 80mph it downshifts less but then the fuel economy goes way down.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey I thought this was supposed to be a thread for AT fans!

Another reason to love AT: Upthread I mentioned that my Element was the first AT car that I ever owned. Well, the reason that I bought the E in the first place (and finally sold my trusty old 1997 manual trans. RAV4) is that I broke my left leg skiing this past January. Very, very hard, and painful, to drive a manual with a broken left leg.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts