Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people -

Anyone here ever Autocross an SC? Granted, I know there's the orange drifting SC, but that aside, has anyone on the boards done it?

I'm tempted to go to one of the Philadelphia SCCA sponsored autocrosses, just run it a couple times and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I did it once last year at a local autocross with my buddy because my camaro was getting some work done to it. I am a goid driver with a lit of racing background including motorcross/flat trackig a quad, shifter carts(raced at atlanta, mid ohio, and others), super motard, and road racing my camaro. When I got out there, I embarrased myself, it was not the first time I had autocrossed either. I have an SC, and it did well on the 2 sweepers, but any s-shaped or shicanes, hores shoes, and the "loop" they had, there was too much body roll, way too much understeer, and the tires could not hold. I did not have the worst time but only a second off. I am still planning to autocross it again, thats why I got in on the KSport Group Buy, I just put on X-Drilled/slotted rotors and good pads(cant afford the Rotora BBK's), will be getting rear LCA's, Engine Dampner, Buddy Club short shifter, amongst any other things to help.
I too want to make people go "WTF" when the see a box going crazy. I will also be getting an intake and exhaust down the road for better throttle response and turn exiting power, even though the 5 speed has decent gearing for down low, I never went pass second gear.
Any more questions, just ask, I am here to help.
Also if you are definately going to do it, get GOOD tires, I have on Dunlop Sport A01's now, and I can take my exit to work almost 8mph faster, the badyears suck!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm taking a trip to Monterey in a couple weeks. Does the Laguna Seca still let you tack your car? Or do you have to be entered in a race now?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The best thing to do is go on their website or call. I know at Mid-Ohio, there are designated open track days. They charges $120 per car and you get to be out on the track at any time from 8am to dark. We also have a place called Nelson Ledges, its a old track, its in the History books, MotorTrend still pops in there from time to time for testing cars and BMW Track club has their anual meet there, it is only $75 for all day fun. Laguna Seca would be a fun track to run though, tell us how it turns out if you can get on it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I really really want to get on it. I want to see just how much a pain that double hairpin to a downhill section is. The one where you have to slow down to almost 5 mph to make the turn. The rest of the track seems good though. I tracked my old car at Infinion and that was pretty fun as well. I just figured since the LAguna Seca has a campground as well, I might try it out.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That turn is the only reason that place is so well known, have fun!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Wait, I just thought a second, and there's another hairpin right at the end of the track as well. I'm trying to scope out their phone number now...

·
Registered
528 Posts
You aren't pushing it hard enough.. Those of us who were fortunate enough to ride in the stock SC last year at the national meet know what I'm talking about. They pushed the SC through 90 degree turns a over 60 mph no problems. They had a driver there from R&D who also instructs at Mid Ohio. According to Honda you would really have to push the SC hard to tip it. VEry inpressive.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You aren't pushing it hard enough.. Those of us who were fortunate enough to ride in the stock SC last year at the national meet know what I'm talking about. They pushed the SC through 90 degree turns a over 60 mph no problems. They had a driver there from R&D who also instructs at Mid Ohio. According to Honda you would really have to push the SC hard to tip it. VEry inpressive.
It was quite impressive. The SC was carrying the driver PLUS three other passengers of various weight (some of us are a bit heavy :rolleyes:) while being pushed through those turns. :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
YOu wouldn't want to make the Seca 90* too fast... in any car... you'd just wind up in a wall. I'm speaking of turn 7, and 8 "the corkscrew".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFdGXdyPnBc

At 1:25 in the video he comes up on the corkscrew. Horrifying looking turn because you can't see it before you go into it, it's over the crest of a hill, and the last turn is the one where you have to slow down the most (1:57) or you end up in the dirt... also, I don't drive an E, I drive teh V.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i was pushing it, the track was too tight for a box in my opinion. The same day I did a run in my buddies camaro and was almost 8 seconds faster, i guess i have to just go for it and push the hell out of it then.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Also remember your insurance will laugh at you if something happens to your SC and you try to make a claim.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Actually, if you paid the fee to get in the Track, and you were driving responsibly, and not going faster than the car could go, and did not have any illegal modifications at the time, then your insurance will sometimes cover issues at a track. Also, if another driver hit you at the track, it's treated the same way almost. Depends on who your coverage is.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
It was quite impressive. The SC was carrying the driver PLUS three other passengers of various weight (some of us are a bit heavy :rolleyes:) while being pushed through those turns. :D
I'll third this, you can push a stock SC a LOT harder than you think you can. Just be sure you know what the hell you're doing beforehand or you'll end up in the aforementioned wall...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts