Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aux input seems to have stopped working. Yesterday I plugged a new ipod into the aux jack and the stereo automatically switched to aux mode and started playing music no problem. Today when I insert the cable into the jack the display dims and nothing else happens. It doesn't make any difference if the other end of the cable is attached to an ipod or not. I hit the "AUX" button on the dash, but that doesn't seem to make a difference, the radio just keeps playing.

As far as I can tell I am not doing anything differently today than I was yesterday. I did install some new software on the ipod, but I assume that shouldn't make a difference.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a particular order in which you need to connect everything, or turn the ipod or stereo on, or press the right buttons? Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Start with the obvious. Do your earbuds still work? If not then maybe the input has become disconnected. If so revert back to your old Ipod configuration and try again. Are you still using the factory HU? What year E do you have? Is is still under warranty?

Edit
Sorry I forgot to add that connection order does not matter. I connect mine the same way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the earbuds still work.

I just installed the latest update of the ipod software, so I am not sure I could go back the older version even if I wanted to.

Yes I am still using the factory HU. It is a 2003, and is no longer under warranty.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
290 Posts
My aux input seems to have stopped working.

I doubt it.

Yesterday I plugged a new ipod into the aux jack and the stereo automatically switched to aux mode and started playing music no problem. Today when I insert the cable into the jack the display dims and nothing else happens.
First clue.

It doesn't make any difference if the other end of the cable is attached to an ipod or not.
Second clue.

I hit the "AUX" button on the dash, but that doesn't seem to make a difference, the radio just keeps playing.
As it should.

As far as I can tell I am not doing anything differently today than I was yesterday. I did install some new software on the ipod, but I assume that shouldn't make a difference.

You're right.

Is there a particular order in which you need to connect everything, or turn the ipod or stereo on, or press the right buttons?

No.

Am I missing anything obvious?

Well, yea.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Anytime.

Let's look at the first clue. The lights dim. You have a short.
Second clue: Not the Ipod.
Either the 3.5mm cable is bad, try a different cable, or you are not pushing the plug completely in, push in completely.

If this doesn't fix it, looks like your AUX jack has a short. How long have you been using the AUX jack? Is this a new or different 3.5mm cable? Don't worry, the AUX jack is $12.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help.

It sounds like replacing the cable or the aux jack should solve the problem, I will give that a try.

I am using the same cable, and it is pushed in all the way. I've only used the aux jack (and the cable) twice -- the first time when it worked, and the next day when it stopped working. But I did buy my Element used, so the auxiliary could have been used frequently by the previous owner.

Is it just a coincidence that the jack shorted on my second try? Is there some way to mistreat the jack that makes it more likely to short?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Is it just a coincidence that the jack shorted on my second try? Is there some way to mistreat the jack that makes it more likely to short?
It may have been used alot by the previous owner(s)... You can easily break the thin connections of the aux jack by jerking / stretching the cable... I would almost bet your cable is bad though!

290 Posts
Right, NV_05_AWD. That's why I asked. If cumaso, or the prior owner, plugged and unplugged frequently, that could explain why now the AUX jack has a short.

cumaso, You didn't try a different cable yet? Definitely try that first. To answer your question, you could damage the jack by inserting the plug at an angle. Also, be sure to use only a stereo plug. That is a 3.5mm with three rings, like this:

Don't use a mono plug, (two rings) or a video plug, (four rings).

·
Registered
41 Posts
The AUX button on the radio is ignored. Doesn't matter if something is plugged in or not. Radio continues playing in whatever other mode was chosen when AUX button was pushed. Any hope for this, or is a replacement radio required?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not sure if you have solved your problem or not... If the new cable didn't fix the problem, here are a couple things you can try. Make sure you have your radio reset code. Disconnect the battery for a couple minutes. reconnect. Punch in code into stereo. See if AUX works with new cable. No? Probably the jack itself. There is a little contact switch inside the jack that when contact is made with a plug, sends (or stops sending) a signal to the radio, to switch to AUX mode. Perhaps that is dirty or corroded. Got some 3-in-one (mineral) oil... or even some cooking oil? Dip the plug in a cap full of oil and immediately stick it in the jack. "Exercise" it in and out. If the jack is bad, you aren't going to hurt it any more, and you just might get that switch to activate. IF exercising the jack works, you will probably want to put a tiny bit of solvent (WD-40?) in there to get that oil out of things, and buy a new jack for when it eventually stops working altogether. Didn't work either? You can try a hard eject on the cd drive. With your ignition off, press the eject button briefly on the stereo. If you have CD in there it should eject. IF it doesn't, keep reading. If there is no CD in there, but you hear the motor running like it is trying to eject, that might have solved your problem. Start your E and try the AUX button with nothing in the jack. Finally, if you DO have a CD in the stereo, but it didn't eject with the car off, turn your car off again. You'll need two hands for this... With one hand press and hold the EJECT button (keep it held down until that disk comes out) WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY starting your vehicle. Once the disk comes out, try your AUX button again.

This isn't the best representation since it is a mono plug, but it does show how the physical breaking of the circuit works, letting the stereo know that something is mechanically and electrically plugged in. I don't THINK it is likely a stereo problem. I think it is your cable or the jack. MANY a careless passenger has bent and broken cables in my AUX jack and I just replace the cable (Dollar Tree) and it keeps on working. Maybe I've been lucky. Please update us if you get your tunes back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Aux port is popular for going out, i have an 03' just like yours and for the last year a trick that worked for me was sticking something between the the aux cable and the cig plug to bend it so that it works. Then after that gave out i was at a junkyard and with a pair of needle nose pliers i pulled the Aux port off a 10' element, pulled mine out, connected that one and works flawlessly. GL!

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Aux port is popular for going out, i have an 03' just like yours and for the last year a trick that worked for me was sticking something between the the aux cable and the cig plug to bend it so that it works. Then after that gave out i was at a junkyard and with a pair of needle nose pliers i pulled the Aux port off a 10' element, pulled mine out, connected that one and works flawlessly. GL!
How did you pull the 2010 element jack out? I have a 2010 and I'm trying to replace the aux jack but it seems somehow adjoined with the power outlets port housing and it prevents it from coming completely out. I've tried pushing from behind by dropping the glove box, but same issue. Any tips appreciated!

·
Registered
67 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts