Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aux port / power port

Good day,

I have a 2003 EX and recently the AUX port started to not work. I have to move the cable around into awkward positions to get it to transmit sound from my iphone. I've tried different cables and have come to the conclusion that it must be a loose wire or short. Then the 12 vdc port started acting up as well.

I cannot seem to find any instructions or diagrams for removing the face plate to expose the wires behind. Does anyone have any experience or references for this procedure?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Aux input stopped working - Need Part Number..

Aux input stopped working. I did a lot of research, but for some reason can't find any other posts on this. I have an 06 EX-P with stock radio. If I forcefully bend the cable, it works, but I can't always do that. I think it's either a lose connection or the whole input assembly needs to be replaced. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyone have the part number to the input assembly? I can't find it online.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I dont want to imply that you didnt already check by swapping out the 3.5mm cable, but did you? ;-) That has a better chance of being bad than the factory jack assembly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I tried a bunch of known working cables, but it didn't work. It only works when bending the cable at the jack. I have to forcefully press it down to work, but once I let go, so does the input. It is either the connection on the back of the aux input or the whole aux jack in question.

Thanks Ramblerdan for the part number. Would you happen to have instructions on changing it? I can't seem to find any in this forum.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Hi All,

I have a completely stock 2003 EX stereo. Recently, the AUX port started having issues. I searched around and didn't find anything addressing this particular problem. If I missed something, please point me in the right direction.

As many of you know, under normal circumstances, when you plug an 1/8th plug into the AUX port, the stereo automatically switches to the AUX input. I now have to wiggle the plug to get the stereo to recognize that there is something plugged in, and as soon as I stop wiggling, it switches back to the stereo input as if there is nothing plugged into the AUX port.

I have tried spraying into plug with CRC Contact Cleaner with no improvement and I have tried more than one 1/8 plug to make sure it is not a bad cable. The part that confuses me is it started out of nowhere. It literally worked perfectly since the E was new, right up until the day the issue started with no apparent reason.

Could it be a loose connection behind the head unit or plug, a bad plug assembly, or something else I'm not thinking of? Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot the problem and or replace the plug if need-be are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Thanks dude, I'll have to check that out. Does it just pop into the dash and plug in on the back?

(Sorry, lazy question. I'll have to pull out the service manual tonight. :roll: :grin:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm reviving this thread so i don't have to make another...

I have a similar problem. My AUX input stopped working yesterday and I need some input on this (pun partially intended lol)

yesterday I was driving and my my cell phone plugged in playing music through the AUX input. I was lost so i turned on my gps and spoke into the phone where i wanted to go. as soon as the phone registered my speaking, the sound stopped coming out of the speakers... I am almost certain that has nothing to do with the AUX going out, but i wanted to explain what happened when it went out.

Usually when you plug in a cord to the aux and then into the device, it will give you some feedback like as if you were plugging in your guitar into a amp... when i plug in my phone it gives no feedback noise. When I unplug the cord from the AUX setup, it will switch back to radio and vis-versa just fine... just no noise comes out of the speakers when i try to play any form of media...

would this be a plug problem? cord problem? or something a little more major?

·
Registered
167 Posts
well i tried a different cord and a new device... Literally, a new ipod and it didn't work so do i need a new AUX plugin?

·
Registered
167 Posts
ok I bought a new AUX plugin from honda, and was wondering how to replace the old one... is there some way I can get my hand in the dash to pop out the old one, and if so how?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Open glove box, pop out the side stoppers, let it open to the floor, reach up behind the dash panel. Should be the easiest method to reach the back of the Aux plug.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would guess the problem to be a cracked or broken contact inside the plug, nothing a little resoldering couldnt fix, but getting to the crack may not even be possible. (never taken my plug out)

·
Registered
167 Posts
appreciate the help! haven't been able to get on the boards recently, but i got it fixed by installing a new AUX input jack. The service manual was of no help btw. the manual said to:
- remove the glove compartment
- pry the power outlet outlet out by freeing the clips from inside the power outlet plug
- remove the plastic trim around the power outlet plug once the power outlet cylinder was removed
- then finally remove the AUX input jack

all of that was unnecessary!! I found a video on youtube that was much easier and faster...

http://youtu.be/6ssXt68MBQE

if anybody needs to replace their AUX input, just check out the video and you will have it done in 2 minutes...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Loose Auxiliary Jack

The jack that the mp3 cord plugs into wiggled loose sometime within my warranty period so I had it fixed. When it's loose the sound cuts in and out of one or the other speaker until I wiggle it just right. (Then don't go over a bump.)
After the warranty expired, and too long after the warranty on the work, it wiggled loose again. Has anyone had this problem? Know of a way to fix it without taking the dash off?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts