Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing the original head unit with something that can support ApplePlay —*perhaps the Boss BVCP9675. Since ApplePlay requires a USB connection and the AUX jack will be rendered redundant, my preference would be to replace the existing AUX socket with a flush USB port and run the cable cleanly behind the dash.

From what I've seen, removing the head unit is easy and removing the aux jack is easy, but I can't tell if it's actually possible/practical to get a cable down from the stereo dim to the back of the AUX port. Anyone know?

Also, things to watch out for removing the stereo or advice on a well-fitting USB jack similar to the one attached?

(2009 Honda Element EX)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
There's room behind the dash to snake wires to AUX.

If you can get a measurement and see anything out there out of the box that fits, please post a link

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got thru installing a Pioneer AVH1440NEX and got a similar plug online. Mine has an AUX and USB on it. Right now it’s pulled around to the front. I’ll probably mount it thru the HU mount on the side and come thru the trim if I can. The factory AUX plug is too far to change thumb drives while driving. I keep all my music on mini thumb drives.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also replaced the head unit with Pioneer 2300NEX and after looking at the choices I decided against removing the stock AUX and I am probably going to mount a usb socket opposite the hazard button by the gear shifter, or somewhere in the dash pocket by the steering wheel.

Logically, because the usb socket will be connected to my phone in a cradle most of the time, it doesn't make sense to try and gut the stock aux and put a USB socket there and then have the USB cable going across the entire dash... If the passenger needs charge they can plug in the charger to the 12v.

Considering these:
https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-USB-S...&sr=1-2&keywords=dashboard+usb+panel+splitter

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Flush...531029159&sr=1-4&keywords=dashboard+usb+panel

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just finished upgrading my HU and speakers, and thought about doing the same thing as you - but ultimately ended up just buying a new aux jack (mine was worn out) and wiring it up to the new head unit, installing the USB ports elsewhere. Never hurts to have options, you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm considering replacing the original head unit with something that can support ApplePlay —*perhaps the Boss BVCP9675. Since ApplePlay requires a USB connection and the AUX jack will be rendered redundant, my preference would be to replace the existing AUX socket with a flush USB port and run the cable cleanly behind the dash.

From what I've seen, removing the head unit is easy and removing the aux jack is easy, but I can't tell if it's actually possible/practical to get a cable down from the stereo dim to the back of the AUX port. Anyone know?

Also, things to watch out for removing the stereo or advice on a well-fitting USB jack similar to the one attached?

(2009 Honda Element EX)
I have an EX 09 as well, I have been trying to get my Alpine installed and have trouble with the wiring of these items...below is the crutchfeild instructions but they are not for the EX 09 as far as I can tell. It’s been painful to say the least...but in response to your question, I screwed around with the aux / harness for a couple of hours, got it to work (but this one supposedly will do video as well for adding a dvd - thus the issues I had getting just the sound) I agree it’s redundant when this radio connects with blue tooth and with the usb cable - I already pulled the aux out, (didn’t sound good) and for now just have the usb cable sticking out of the hole, I am also looking for something to replace the face of it....if you have any info on hooking up the vss, parking, and camera leads, that would be greatly appreciated !

Vehicle speed sense
ECM/PCM1, pin E26 - blue/white
Reverse (+)
Front of fuse box, pin #1 of 18-pin plug - green/black
Parking brake
At parking brake switch or ICU2, green 7 pin plug, pin 4 - green/orange
Foot brake
At brake pedal switch - white/black
NOTES:
• If equipped with a factory amplifier, the amplifier will be located behind the passenger’s side kick panel.
• 1ECM/PCM (Engine Control Module/Power Control Module) is located behind the glovebox.
• 2ICU (Immobilizer Control unit) is located at the key switch.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element EX
12 Posts

(2009 Honda Element EX)
Did you ever do this? I'm looking at that same USB cable to put in place of the aux jack. Looks like it would fit in there after making the little rectangle whole in the bracket.Probably the cleanest option.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element EX
12 Posts
I just did this mod and and used that same cable teejay used. Fits snug and works perfect. Had to dremel a little rectangle in the factory aux bracket.

·
Registered
2005 EX 4wd auto
11 Posts
just finished this mod and thought I'd post a pic. not the tidiest mod, but it works. Dremel + a lil Gorilla glue :p
fwiw, I had an absolute bear of a time getting the power socket out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also did this mod. Super easy with a dremal. I basically just cut on that line that boxes the auxiliary port, then slid the USB port in. I used the same type of snap-into-place USB port that is pictured in OP's post. I'll attach some images. I didn snap a pic after cutting the hole, but I hope it's still helpful.

Final result:

·
Registered
2009 SC MRP
255 Posts
I also did this mod. Super easy with a dremal. I basically just cut on that line that boxes the auxiliary port, then slid the USB port in. I used the same type of snap-into-place USB port that is pictured in OP's post. I'll attach some images. I didn snap a pic after cutting the hole, but I hope it's still helpful.

Final result
Looks really nice.
I ordered a USB / AUX Port with 5ft of cable
I'll try that when the part arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 SC MRP
255 Posts
I cut away the edges of the oem part with a sharp knife. Then I cut out the cutouts (USB / Aux Port). A suitable screw, washer, nut and sleeve inside hold everything together. Maybe I'll add glue to the board and case. Unfortunately, you can not close the cover when a USB-Stick stick's inside.
A test (without installation, it is too cold) was successful.
20210122_165755.jpg 20210122_183530.jpg 20210122_191437.jpg 20210122_191444.jpg 20210122_191501.jpg 20210122_191511.jpg 20210122_192635.jpg

Reactions: Alloysnake

·
Registered
2009 SC MRP
255 Posts
Next step .....
I had to extend the cables with adapters (SC)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts