Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have had my E since the end of March and have almost 2000 miles traveled.....I am averaging 21.5 to 23 miles per gallon.

My driving is mostly city driving. My husband and I took a road trip to Chicago and we got 22.5 to 23 on the highway.....but we were also hauling a ton of cargo (seats out and the entire back full of boxes and misc cargo)....so I am pretty happy.

There is another post on the boards about gas mileage.....and there is a fairly wide range of gas mileages.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My dealer said that you should expect to start getting better gas mileage after 2000 miles....not sure how true this is *shrug*

After getting pretty decent gas mileage (see post above) this past week (filled up tonight) I only got 19.5 miles per gallon.....I wonder if it is because I have been using my air more? I also sat in a lot of traffic this week.....hope this next tank goes back to my avg.

Also I hit 2000 miles today :!: :!: :!:

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I got 24 mpg on the first tank, and just a little higher on the second tank. The first was a lot of interstate driving, and the second tank mostly town & country driving.

SOP AWD Ex

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my SOP EX AWD for 1 month and 2 days. Just rolled 2600 miles. I have a fairly long commute (Goffstown, NH to Lewiston, ME - 136 miles each way) :roll: Been doing this for 7 years (short term job! :shock: )

My first tank averaged 19 mpg. Since then, she's gone from 20.2 to my last fillup, yesterday at 24.8! :D That's combined highway/city.

I have no complaints! A lot better than I got in my old '95 Dodge Ram Club Cab 2WD pickup!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just turning 11000 miles and now averaging 28.3 mpg. Mostly highway driving. It's a 2wd, auto trans & havn't used air cond.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After 1300 miles I'm averaging 23.0 miles per gallon -- mixed highway/city driving.

4WD EX Automatic

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3200miles on EX 4wd, mixed driving and average 23.4 mpg with a/c on most of the time. I use the trip odo set at 0 when I fill up. I then add 40-50 miles to the milage shown when the fuel low lite comes on. This g
ives me about 15 gals. +/- This allows you about 10 to 15 miles res.[/quote]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have logged 8000 miles on my EX. Milage gradually increased through the first 5000. I've been averaging 24-26 mile which is a mix of highway and city. With my A/C running most of the time, my milage is 24. Which brings up a problem I recently confirmed with the Honda Elements.

Discovered that the air conditioning unit turns on whenever you adjust the circulating air dial to windshild. You can not turn off the A/C when the dial is on windshield, nor does the A/C button light illuminate to indicate the A/C unit is operating.
I find this unbelievable. Actually, the service manager at Groppone Honda in Concord, NH didn't believe me initially. Then one of his technicians found a service report explaining exactly what I wanted the dealership to correct.
The dealership can not correct the problem because this is a factory preset.
I'm shocked that Honda engineers thought this was a smart thing to do. So now I have to run my air contitioner all winter long.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There are instructions for reprogramming the defrost to not use the A/C elsewhere in this forum. A search should find it for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've had my E for a little over a month and through 2 major road trips one to PA form CT and the other to VT I have gotten anywhere from 21-23.5 mpg.

:twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have 4500 miles on my two month old E.

day-to-day driving (include 30 miles mostly highway commute, 2.5 miles starbucks run, and 5-10 miles lunch), barely 20 MPG.

ski trips (300+ miles one way), between 23-25 MPG

i can validate Honda's high end number, but i am about 1 MPG shy of their 21 MPG day-to-day driving condition claims

·
Registered
8 Posts
Consumer report recently reviewed the SUVs with the best gas milage. The Element EX was listed third among small SUVs (20 mpg). Certainly a respectable rating considering the source.

My worst milage was 21 mpg. As I posted earlier, my rural driving often nets me 25-26 mpg. That's because I can go through most of a tank of gas doing 40-45 mile per hour with few stops. I strongly suspect that the areodynamics of the Element decrease MPG at highways speeds of 65-75 mph. That is when my milage goes down to 22-23 mpg.

While I'm here, has anyone had problems with tire wear? My original tires needed to be replaced at 15000. Honda service analyzed my tire alignment and determined the vehiclle was misalligned at the factory and their interval servicing failed to note it. After some little argument, they replaced the tires.

I've sinced learned that the Honda Element owned my my mail carrier has had its tires replaced twice. The first set Honda paid for 100%. The second set Honda paid for 50%. This Element is back to Honda service because the third tires are wearing rapidly.

Sounds like a major problem here. Anyone else notice tire wear problems.?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts