Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since I have installed an amp in a car, about 5 years to be exact so I don't know what the best patch cables and amp wireing kits are these days. All I remember is that annoying "whining" noise that went with engine rpm's. What did others do to avoid this? What kind of patch cables where used? Location of wiring? I should be getting my Eclipse amp tomorrow and I want to get it under the passenger seat. I am thinking of running the RCA's down under the stock sub between the seats and placing the power line a few inches away. Any better ideas out there. Any ifo would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Below is a link to detailed guide to troubleshooting the noise symptoms you describe. Consider using it in order to avoid such issues in the first place but also keep in mind also that Honda's are known to have noisy alternators.

Despite my best efforts to the contrary, if you listen very closely, you can hear a small amount of whine even when my system is turned off but the car is running. This could be remedied with a higher quality, better shielded alternator but it is so minute I've decided to ignore it.

Scroll about half way down the following page to the "Engine Noise" section to find the info you're looking for...

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/audiots.htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do not run the Power wire, and RCA's together. Run them on opposite sides of the E.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I figure that I will run audio and power as far as possible from each other. Now what are good RCA cables these days, I remember having problems with what were known to be good brands a few years back, fe.. Monster cable, Phoenix Gold. Problems such as the center conductor shorting out with the shielding causing noise. What is a well made cable these days?

·
Registered
957 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that info. I think I will go with the 4 channel black twisted pair Scosche cables for an all in one solution for audio signal, I don't think I will get into the gold plated battery terminals and such possibly one for a good ground connection though. I'n fact I will use black wire loom just like honda to hide any exposed cables just like Honda did. I like the factory look. I will post pics as soon as this rain stops and I get the job done.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I forgot to mention that, I will put one as close to the positive terminal as possible. I have a friend who forgot to install one of those and he fried his alternator. A lesson we will never forget lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts