Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and wanted to post a question.

I have a need to swap in a newer AWD auto into my AWD AT 2004. I understand I will need the corresponding ECU, but if I go with an 08 AT, what kind of hurdles will I hit with the wiring? I'm assuming bolting it on is no problem.

You may be asking yourself why I would want to do this... I recently swapped in a JDM TSX motor... What I didn't realize is that there are seemingly no options for aftermarket engine management on the automatic 03-04. The Element ECU runs it okayish, but it's coming in slightly weaker than the stock engine along with throwing codes.
The closest thing I could find to engine management is Ktuner but they require at least an 05 ECU.

So why the 08? Since the 07 was the change to the 5spd AT, I wanted to go for that since I will need to swap. There is an 08 AWD AT nearby for $325.

So other options may be:
  1. Getting an 06 TSX transmission since I already have a TSX ECU programmed to my car... but I would lose the AWD
  2. Find an EMS that would work on an AT 2004 that I don't know about (Kpro and Ktuner are a no-go with that ECU, AEM still hasn't responded) and stay with the 04 4spd AT.
  3. Find an AWD MT and do the conversion (shudder).
  4. Just start the f*ck over and find an AWD MT Element and put the motor in there.
TL;DR: How difficult is it to swap an 08 AWD AT into an AWD 04?

·
Registered
2 Posts
  1. Getting an 06 TSX transmission since I already have a TSX ECU programmed to my car... but I would lose the AWD
Is your TSX ecu from an automatic transmission car? The ecu does not handle any of the AWD stuff...that's mechanical within the transmission. No reason to get a TSX trans (case wont bolt to the same locations anyway)

Alternatively you could select the automatic transmission option from here:
As you mentioned, it is an 05-06 ecu that will replace your 03-04 ecu in order to allow tunability for your swapped motor while still being able to shift your 4-speed automatic transmission

The 5-speed automatic transmission was not the only thing that changed in 07+ models; 07+ are drive-by-wire throttle and CAN-bus signal output to the instrument panel gauges. I do not think it is worth changing out the entire electrical system just to gain that added overdrive ratio in the transmission. There is not a noticeable difference driving a 4AT vs a 5AT Element

1 - 3 of 3 Posts