Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this and ask the dealer thread is closed. I wanted to buy an element from a guy who was asking way over bluebook. he said he was charging more because the AWD was gen 2 and that these were harder to find than gen 1. I couldn't find anything about different generations so any help or links would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
now, if we were talking about CR-Vs, the 4WD system did get updated for either the 2005 or the 2007 model year. something about cam activation to cause it to engage quicker.
but Elements have had the same system since they were introduced in 2003.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Consider the source and ignore them. The Element has the same system underneath from beginning to end. The CR-V did get some changes but they're trying to claim both vehicles are the same underneath. They're not.

As for the original post? I don't know if you could actually fit the later style AWD from a CR-V in to an Element or not but since it's electrically controled, I bet you'd need to change out the CPU, the wheel sensors, and who knows what else - which would also mess with the brake metering, the VSA, the ABS, etc. If they did such a refit, I'd insist that they REDUCED the value, not raised it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
just piling on here.
the CR-V 4WD system did change, probably for the 2007 model year, also known as gen 3 in CR-V land.
but the Element 4WD system remained the same for its entire production.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
and please note that the author of that CRVowners article is comparing a 2000 CR-V to a 2011 Element. those will be different, because the CR-V system was updated for the 2002 model year. the 2003 Element used that same system.
the CR-V system was updated again for either the gen 2.5 in 2005 or the gen 3 in 2007, i'm not curious enough to verify which. Elements didn't get that update. if builtCRV had used that updated CR-V system, he would probably have gotten even better "bite", but the housing from the updated system may not have bolted into his 2000 CR-V.
in other words, i suspect that builtCRV used the Element system because it was essentially the same as the system used in the 2002 CR-V and therefore would bolt right in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts