Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I'm looking to attach an awning to my round Yakima racks. Something like this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-8-2-6-2-Tent-Awning/dp/B00KCFKPN0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434255776&sr=8-2&keywords=jeep+awnings[/ame]

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm using this more as shade rather than rain protection.

Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Alot of us have the REI alcove. It fits really nicely on the back of the E.

If you don't get a reponse on here, try www.expeditionportal.com

So many overlanders with multi awning mounted to their rigs. Another awesome forum.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I have actual awning rail on the side of my E with the old school fabric+welt canopy. I'll take photos next time I have it set up.

I really like the roof rack awning, but with the ECamper it wasn't possible. I'd love to see your final setup once you make a decision.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'll ask the same question at EP.

Definitely will be posting pictures once the Box is expedition ready.

·
Registered
315 Posts
UM mounted the 3 awning mounts to the E's original black trim on both sides of my ecamper.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I screwed it into the replacement black plastic base of the eCamper. I had to remove one of my Ursa Minor installed tie-down D-rings.

There's a gap between the black plastic base and the metal roof-- in fact you can view inside with the hatch door open.

Google "awning rail" if you're unfamiliar with it. Those pics are clearer than anything I can take of the black on black installation on my car. I used regular screws and a regular screw driver. Took about 10mins.

If you're unsure, you can go to any upholstery shop. This is standard awning installation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love the awning!

I am swooning, this is absolutely gorgeous! After searching the internet for inspiration, all I could find was masculine and functional 'guy builds' :| I Love this awning so, so much, it is just the touch of 'girl in the wild' I was looking for :cheerleader: I am totally inspired by your setup! Now I want to wrap the E also!!! :grin:

Finally got around to some pics. Here's my set up:

I have to close the front door if I want to put up the add-a-room walls, but otherwise the Element is designed perfectly for this add-on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts