Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back hatch will get stuck locked, and some times unlocked. Right now it is locked. Key goes in all the way but does not turn. Keyless remote unlocks all other doors but not the hatch. I listen but dont hear it click. I live in Utah so Im wondering if it freezes up??? Its been warm and no luck getting it unlocked. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Are you saying you can't open the hatch?

The standard procedure for removing the garnish is to open the hatch first. But it is possible (especially with a helper) to pull the top edge of the garnish out enough for you to get in there with a light. Then you should be able to see if something has come undone, more effectively lubricate the works, and positively determine whether the remote is activating the solenoid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hatch was stuck shut. Pried off the paneling from the inside. Manually locked and unlocked it a few times and now it works fine. Eh.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT squirt WD-40 into lock mechanisms!!! :shock: :-(

This is a sure-fire route to premature pin/tumbler death. Just because it solves the problem of the moment doesn't mean that it isn't setting you up for more serious problems two years down the road. The crud attracted by the residual lubricant in WD-40 is wearing down your key and the pins every time you lock/unlock.

This won't be nearly the issue with household locks because you aren't driving your house through road spray or dusty conditions. But even with household locks, mention doing this to any locksmith and you will get that scowl-over-the-reading-glasses look that says "What were you thinking?"

Use a lubricant designed for locks, available at any hardware department. These have a solvent (for cleaning) which quickly evaporates and leaves a dry lubricant which isn't an engraved invitation for dirt.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT squirt WD-40 into lock mechanisms!!! :shock: :-(

Use a lubricant designed for locks, available at any hardware department. These have a solvent (for cleaning) which quickly evaporates and leaves a dry lubricant which isn't an engraved invitation for dirt.
Agreed totally on the evils of WD-40 and not just in locks. So... one other question. The ignition lock on an E seems to be filled with electrical work. Is is safe to use regular graphite in them?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I would think so. It would take outright immersion in a pile of graphite to conduct anything of consequence. I don't think much of the powder will migrate to the electric bits, anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts