Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Info: 2007 EX
Sorry if this has been posted, however I searched and can't find anything.

My back left seat will not latch properly to the floor. The problem is that the mechanism itself is overextended and does not align properly with the hooks on the floor. I have to guide the latch into the hooks and almost throw it to the ground to get it latched. I can't simply line it up and push the seat down (it doesn't latch this way). The plastic around this area is also messed up (could that be the problem?). The right seat is in perfect working order. I can lower it gently and simply push the seat down and it latches perfectly.

Any solution to this would be greatly appreciated as I just got this car. My parents insisted I buy it instead of another one with ripped seats. But if this problem (and the stupid bubbly floors) persist and can't be solved then I really wish I had the ripped seat. I love everything else about it though!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any help is greatly appreciated. I am proud to be a new E owner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI: 2007 EX
Sorry if this has been posted but I can't find it anywhere.

My back left seat is slightly broken. It does not latch properly when I go from storing it on the side/window/wall to making it a seat again. The problem is that the latch part is over extended and does not align properly with the hooks mounted to the floor. The only way to get the seat to lock to the floor is to guide the seat and kinda slam it down. I can't simply guide the latch then push down the seat till it locks because it doesn't lock into place.

The right seat is in perfect working order. I can lower it gently(without guiding) and then simply push it down slightly till it locks.

Could this be a problem with the plastic surrounding the latch mechanism(it was slightly broken). Or has the metal part of the latch been bent?

I just got this car yesterday after others insisted that I don't get a different one with a ripped front seat. This seems like a much bigger deal than a ripped seat however! Also the floor is bubbly as hell and looks pretty bad(but that is the topic of another thread).

Any suggestions to fix the back seat? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can manually align it, however just pressing down does not make it click unlike the other seat which is not broken. I have to kinda slam it down to get it to click.

Thanks for the thread consolidation. I didn't know the first one posted then added pics to the second.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,872 Posts
It looks like the seats "swing" end is pushed in (possibly by dropping it when it was removed from the car). The internal frame may be bent out of alignment.

Rather than smashing it down or guessing, the support can be removed and examined, you can lubricate it, check to mechanism to see if something is binding. If there's a missing or broken positioning stop you can replace it or use somthing to duplicate its function.

Also, this may sound like a silly question, are you sure that the seat is properly mounted at the "hinge"side, the sidewall of the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
This same problem happened on the driver-side seat.

With the seat down, tap the latch mechanism/ leg to the right to get the mechanism near-perpendicular with the floor.

You have to find the sweet spot, which may not be exactly 90 degrees.

Once the latch is aligned, Press down on the seat and It should latch easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
psschmied:
Thank you so much for the response. I got this car from a dealer who had re-upolstered the seats themselves. My father didn't check the back seat mechanics, only the upholstery. Is there any way to buy another plastic frame for the support? This one is cracked and isn't really latched/closed at all.
I will check to make sure that the seat is on correctly before I do anything, then I will take apart the plastic and check the metal underneath. Is there anything I can do if the frame of the support is bent?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,872 Posts
Here's an example Honda parts dealer page. This one is fairly representative, and is a good place to get part numbers in an idea what the parts cost. It's worth your while to check out a few, and the contact local Honda dealers with those part numbers . Sometimes they will match the prices you find (even without you asking), and save you the shipping charge. Seat parts are pricy, so if its a major part, try salvage yards.

If you're lucky it's part 29-31. A missing set would misalign the latching parts. With a good one as an example, you might find a cheaper substitute at HD or hardware store.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ELEMENT&catcgry2=2007&catcgry3=5DR+EX+%284WD%29&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=REAR+SEAT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
psschmied you are the best! where are you getting these diagrams from?

I think I am going to remove the seat today and take apart the leg/support/locking mechanism and see what it looks like in there. I am going to leave the other seat in incase I mess up and can't figure out exactly how to re-install.

Btw I found a salvaged 2005 element that the guy said he could sell me the rear seats for $150. I could probably get him down to 125$ or so. Will the 2005 seats fit in my 2007? Will the 2005 seat frame fit in my 07? I kinda want to do a mini camper conversion like that thread on here with that crazy conversion.

Thank you for all the help! i really appreciate it

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,872 Posts
psschmied you are the best! where are you getting these diagrams from?

I think I am going to remove the seat today and take apart the leg/support/locking mechanism and see what it looks like in there. I am going to leave the other seat in incase I mess up and can't figure out exactly how to re-install.

Btw I found a salvaged 2005 element that the guy said he could sell me the rear seats for $150. I could probably get him down to 125$ or so. Will the 2005 seats fit in my 2007? Will the 2005 seat frame fit in my 07? I kinda want to do a mini camper conversion like that thread on here with that crazy conversion.

Thank you for all the help! i really appreciate it
I'm not usually this helpful. This is my annual teach a person how to fish for Lent effort. You seemed like a good candidate.

The how to pages were from the service manual. If you want to get one, PM me for where to buy a legal reissue on CD.

The parts explosion diagram was from https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com . As far as I know all years' left rear seats are mechanically interchangeable, however the fabric and color may vary.

The way to determine interchangability for certain, is to go to, for example, https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and put in the information for the vehicle you have, write down the numbers, and do the same for the vehicle year and model you're trying to get parts from.

The last group of numbers is the color code. If the only difference is the last group, then the the parts are mechanically interchangible. That doen't, however, exclude a different number from being interchangible. Sometimes a minor styling change is enough for a new number to be issued. There were quite a few of these between 2005 and 2008. Sometimes an improved part is issued.

PS The reason to fill in your profile, is multifold, but mostly, this is an enthusiasts forum, and it saves time.

Sooner or later you're likely to ask a question that is exact model, equipment and color dependent.

Your approximate location helps members in your area to recommend or warn you against particular servicing dealers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, so I took apart the plastic housing and immidiately saw the problem.
The stopper is extended about a full cm to far from where it should stop the leg. This allows the leg to overextend which then leads to the leg not matching with the latches on the floor of my E. pics included

Any ideas on which part this is? Any idea how to fix it?

thanks for all your help and comments! This community is pretty awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,872 Posts
I can't see the stop you're talking about, just where it is. If it's underneath the fabric on the bottom of the seat, it can't be working right. Honda would never cover a stop with fabric. I dont see a stop listed for the seat frame, only for the leg bottom. The only picture I can find of the seat bottom makes it look like part 33 works in combination with a bent tab on the pivot to act as a fixed stop.

I suggest you remove the leg entirely, and cut the fabric away from both pivots.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,872 Posts
Duplicate post.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts