Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a universal back up camera to my Sony XAV-AX5000 and looking for some guidance on how to make the connections in the rear in order to have the signal make its way up to the HU. How are most of you doing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
592 Posts
This post Photos and Walkthrough: back-up camera installation was the one that I found most helpful in doing mine. Long time ago but IIRC I did not have to remove all the rear interior drivers side trim. I was able to snake the wire through. I did remove the drivers side kickplate and sill to route the wire. Once I got to the under-dash area it wasn't bad.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
273 Posts
i have no input, but from reading another post awhile back, he mounted his camera on the inside of the car so the view is through the back window. If the view is dirty, he just used the wiper. When mounting outside, in his case, it always got dirty and constantly had to clean it off. Anyway, just a thought

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve attached a few photos from my backup cam install, hope their helpful. It did require removing pillar trim, door sills, quarter panel trim, all of which is fairly straightforward but feel free to ask questions if you have them.
To route the camera harness through the tailgate, I pulled the OE rubber grommet/sleeve and ran the camera harness inside that sleeve to protect it. There is another rubber grommet for the license plate lights that I ran the harness though so I didn’t drill any holes in sheet metal. I’m happy with the fit/finish. I know this reply is light on detail, but haven’t had my coffee yet. If you have questions just ask, I’ll get back to ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did you tap into to get the camera to turn on when you put it into reverse?

Nice job running the wires and thanks for the feedback and pictures!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tapped directly into the reverse signal wire at the tail light harness. The red wire you can see in the pics is the signal wire from the camera. I don’t recall which pin the reverse is, I just set the parking brake, turned the key to run w/engine off and put the car in reverse and used a test light to find the signal wire. I think it was Grn/Wht, but my memory is suspect, sorry!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I plan on doing this mod also soon. Which camera did you use? Did you have to take apart both the front drivers and passenger doors, or just one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tapped directly into the reverse signal wire at the tail light harness. The red wire you can see in the pics is the signal wire from the camera. I don’t recall which pin the reverse is, I just set the parking brake, turned the key to run w/engine off and put the car in reverse and used a test light to find the signal wire. I think it was Grn/Wht, but my memory is suspect, sorry!
No need to apologize thank you very much for the advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ordered a “VanTop” digital rear view mirror from Amazon.
VanTop H612 12" 2.5K Mirror Dash... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DF94H7D?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

A co-worker installed one in his ‘86 quad cab 8’ bed pickup and I was very impressed. The digital rear view mirror has a built in dash cam which is loop records along with the backup cam.
Ive had it installed for about a month & 1/2 and no issues so far.

·
Registered
2004 EX AT Fiji Blue
29 Posts
I plan on doing this mod also soon. Which camera did you use? Did you have to take apart both the front drivers and passenger doors, or just one?
You don't need to remove door panels, just the floor trim for the driver side, and the interior rear panels (which takes longer than you might think). I was able to route the wire up to the head unit by taking just the glove compartment out, but I do have small hands.

What did you tap into to get the camera to turn on when you put it into reverse?
My 04 EX was a green/black wire near the tail light, and black for ground. There are some wiring diagrams floating around which I was able to use. What year is your E? I had some kind of connector that wasn't plugged into anything which turned out to be the easiest wire to access. Happy to answer more questions if you have them. Took me all day to install, but I had no prior experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts