Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and will soon be new to the Element world! After owning two Subaru's I am making the switch to a 2009 Element. However before I do so I have a few questions:

I have heard in several places that many Elements have braking issues. These include brake failures and premature wear on rotors and pads. I have mainly heard the complaints about 2003 - 2008. However I have not heard to much about 2009 or newer... is this still a problem?

Also, as current Element owners what kind of mileage do you have on your car? The 2009 I am looking at has 96,000 miles. It was extremely well kept and is very clean. I am a little nervous buying a car for $13,000 with this kind of mileage.

Please let me know any kind of issues people have with 09s so I can feel a little more relaxed about this. Thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
45k miles and no issues
Besides rear diff fluid and oil changes, we're bbout to get our second set of tires this month
That's it
I've had other E's, one with 150k miles..no brake issues

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Subi_to_Element.

Failure to keep caliper slider pins clean and lubricated can cause premature pad and rotor wear. And there have been cases of early caliper piston rust-through, so regular inspection is called for. But many Element owners have seen 100,000+ miles between brake replacements.

AFAIK there's no difference between 2009 brakes and any other year.

Lots of brake threads here. Enjoy your reading.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had my rear calipers stick on me (under 100K miles). The pistons seize up and not because of sticking/not lubed slider pins. My E came from up Northeast with a lot of corrosion on the bottom. Not a big deal as the calipers aren't very expensive and very easy to change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
65,000 miles and still running original pads. No brake issues at all. Pads still look good. In fact, my SC is the 15th Honda I've owned since '74, and I've never had a problem with the brakes on any of them.
Bought a new '71 Ford Pinto.......when it was about two years old, I had to replace the right rear brake cylinder....rusted and locked up...................but.........hey....... it was a Pinto..................

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,689 Posts
46K on mine, replaced the pads and refaced the rotors at 30K. The sliders have been fine, just checked last week while doing a rotate. Those OEM wrangler POS tires were replaced at 20 K. It's all city /short trip drives. I change the oil and rotate every 6 months, works out to be 3000 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought the 2009!

Thank you everyone for your replies back to me! It sounds like the brakes will not be to much of an issue. I went ahead and purchased the 2009 Element. It came with brand new Honda brakes so I should be good for a while! I am missing the sunroof though.. :/ 2008 orange was hard to find around here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts