Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brakes and Rotors, Aftermarket or OEM?

After being told by my friendly Honda dealer that I needed to replace my brake pads and turn the rotors (155K miles and this will be the first change) I looked through some of the threads and though there is great info, I couldn't find anything that expressed any opinions on aftermarket brakes and rotors, compared to OEM.

Any thoughts? Any preferences? Should I just stay with OEM?

Thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You must do a lot of long distance driving, I've never heard of pads going 155K miles! I've got 56k on mine and will be replacing in the next few weeks. With OEM of course thanks to H and A.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You must do a lot of long distance driving, I've never heard of pads going 155K miles! I've got 56k on mine and will be replacing in the next few weeks. With OEM of course thanks to H and A.
I do travel in the E regionally. Sometimes a commute to work is 450 miles one way.

I am leaning heavily toward OEM, as these have lasted. The brakes are still working fine, no shaking on hard brakes, and no sounds while braking, and braking distance is virtually unchanged. I intend to drive a little while longer and will try to remember to let you know when I change them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How's the mileage working out?

Fine but I only put them on 10k ago lol. It dosent matter how long they last because they are replaced for free if they ever wear out! So assuming you keep your E long enough to do the brakes again the pads will be free if you get the duralast gold, gold cmax and maybe even the normal duralast but I'm not sure on that one. The gold cmax are great because you dont have to mess with greashing the shims or glueing them with that red goop. They are already bonded with rubber and that makes them very quiet. Zero brake squeal and far less brake dust on your rims than with the stock pads.

·
Registered
90 Posts
After being told by my friendly Honda dealer that I needed to replace my brake pads and turn the rotors (155K miles and this will be the first change) I looked through some of the threads and though there is great info, I couldn't find anything that expressed any opinions on aftermarket brakes and rotors, compared to OEM.

Any thoughts? Any preferences? Should I just stay with OEM?

Thanks.
Hey Deacon, I had the same question when it was time for me to change pads and rotate the rotors. I had 85,000 miles on my first E before I just decided to stay with OEM parts. I just don't like brake pads that offer a lifetime warranty on them because they tend to wear more quickly than others.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
I thought I would try to save a few bucks by getting brake pads from Firestone (a mostly tire company) when I had my snow tires taken off in the spring.
Everythying was fine from March to July. Then in August, they started to squeak like you wouldn't believe. I felt like I was driving Fred Sanford's junk yard truck. The E stopped fine but what a racket!
It was so bad that my dog knew when I was driving around the corner to my street about 50 yards away.
When I brought the E in to the dealership for some scheduled maintenance, I asked them to check the brakes.
They told me that the pads were only 5 to 10 percent worn and everything was functioning fine - except for the squeal. They said that they have seen it plenty of times before with aftermarket brakes. I had the dealership replace the pads for my peace of mind and the brakes are silent again.
A word to the wise is sufficient.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
The squeal was probably from the Firestone guys NOT putting any caliper grease
on the backs of the pads. Pads usually dont squeal, if they did, they would squeal
ALL the time since they are touching the rotors all the time. When you
hit the brakes, if there is no caliper grease between the pad and the shim,
and between the shim and the piston, you are gonna get a super loud squeal.

The dealer then took advantage of you and sold you all new brake pads and
the labor to install them, when all they needed to do was apply some caliper
grease.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The squeal was probably from the Firestone guys NOT putting any caliper grease
on the backs of the pads. Pads usually dont squeal, if they did, they would squeal ALL the time since they are touching the rotors all the time. When you
hit the brakes, if there is no caliper grease between the pad and the shim,
and between the shim and the piston, you are gonna get a super loud squeal.

The dealer then took advantage of you and sold you all new brake pads and
the labor to install them, when all they needed to do was apply some caliper
grease.
Then why did it take 4 months to start squealing? Wouldn't the squeal occur right away? Did they simply not apply enough grease? It also squealed worse when I applied the brakes in the rain.
Thanks

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
Cheap crappy cardboard brake pads... It's that simple.
aztec roll seems to be way off on this one and of course lays blame to the dealership that actually fixed it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think you're both right. Cheap pads, cheap shims, not enough caliper grease. In would have considered either a reapplication of caliper grease or even better some anti-squeal compound first over changing pads.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You live and learn I guess

I'm still going to the dealership for brakes from now on.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,929 Posts
The thread needs to be re-titled "One owners' bad experience with a Firestone brake install"

1 - 20 of 38 Posts