Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
137k 5 speed 05 lx awd. Awful 18-19 mpg highway but maintain 21-23 city. Any idea why I get awful mpg at higher speeds. I tried 55-80mph and tried a/c off and on. Makes no difference, I have done top of the line air filters and oil/ fluids. No box on top, and with a box on top. Still same Mileage. I cleaned my MAP sensor and recent my battery, I cleaned my
Throttle body and air intake system,

Any ideas how to fix this or what to look for or at?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
137k 5 speed 05 lx awd. Awful 18-19 mpg highway but maintain 21-23 city. Any idea why I get awful mpg at higher speeds. I tried 55-80mph and tried a/c off and on. Makes no difference, I have done top of the line air filters and oil/ fluids. No box on top, and with a box on top. Still same Mileage. I cleaned my MAP sensor and recent my battery, I cleaned my

And you have no warning lights?
What kind of engine RPM's are you getting at higher speeds?
Are you late for valve adjustments?
Off road tires or other mods?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods, new touring tires. I am at like 3500 -4000 rpm at 65-80 mph which I think is high. Idk about the valves, everything else is bone stock. One owner before me all maintenance records from Honda dealers.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Your RPM's ARE high compared to mine but I have an '08. Valves out of adjustment could cause a problem. I'm not sure how the Vtec system is effected by that. Perhaps somebody else could chip in on that? Anything else that would drop your mileage badly only at speed would probably throw an engine warning. (clogged cat, pulling an Airstream, etc) It doesn't take a lot of hills or traffic jam time to really drop your mileage.

I CAN get those RPM's by leaving the transmission in D3 instead of Drive. Huh! Perfect match.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you don’t have a record of valve adjustment around the 100-110k miles mark then definitely do a valve adjustment. If valves were done on time I would check your 4wd components, drain and fill your rear diff with genuine Honda Pump II fluid. My guess is at slower in-town driving speeds the 4wd system is trailing (coasting) as designed but once you get up to highway speeds the 4wd is producing mechanical drag on the drivetrain (or your trans is slipping in 5th gear causing the rear drivetrain to engage, but your revs look very close to my 2wd MT at highway speeds).

If you don’t require 4wd owners have successfully removed all the 4wd components and cover the transfer case hole in the manual trans with the plate from the 2wd trans.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
If you don’t have a record of valve adjustment around the 100-110k miles mark then definitely do a valve adjustment. If valves were done on time I would check your 4wd components, drain and fill your rear diff with genuine Honda Pump II fluid. My guess is at slower in-town driving speeds the 4wd system is trailing (coasting) as designed but once you get up to highway speeds the 4wd is producing mechanical drag on the drivetrain (or your trans is slipping in 5th gear causing the rear drivetrain to engage, but your revs look very close to my 2wd MT at highway speeds).

If you don’t require 4wd owners have successfully removed all the 4wd components and cover the transfer case hole in the manual trans with the plate from the 2wd trans.
It doesn't work that way. The differential has a pair of pumps that drive off the shaft speed coming back and the rear axle. If either pump turns at a different speed than the other one, it compresses the clutch inside and locks the drive shaft to the axle. As long as all four wheels are on the ground and they're all the same size, highway speed wouldn't make a bit of difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts

o2 sensor?

How exactly are you calculating mpg? Amazing how many people do it poorly or don't account for a ton of variables that happen daily driving/refilling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The poorer highway gas mileage is due to the 5 speed manual transmission's gear ratio. While there are other factors that also play (such as others pointed out with up keep on maintenance), the main culprit is our shorter gear ratios.

For comparison, notice the difference in ratios:

5-Speed Manual Transmission Gear Ratios:
  • 1st: 3.533
  • 2nd: 2.042
  • 3rd: 1.355
  • 4th: 1.028
  • 5th: 0.825
  • Reverse: 3.583
  • Final Drive: 4.765
4-Speed Automatic Transmission Gear Ratios:
  • 1st: 2.684
  • 2nd: 1.535
  • 3rd: 1.081
  • 4th: 0.733
  • Reverse: 2.000
  • Final Drive: 4.438
[Note: Higher number = Shorter Gear]

Like you, I too witness 3700-4000 RPM when going 70+ MPH. While I don't enjoy spinning this high on the freeways, I would rather have it this way to help with acceleration (especially since its such a heavy car).

A common mod others do to combat this is adding the 6th gear found from the TSX, RSX-S, & Civic Si (other cars that have engines equipped with the K series engine).

This very thing is on my radar personally. Others on this board have great documentation of doing this if you're curious.

Hope that helps (and happy Elementing)!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The poorer highway gas mileage is due to the 5 speed manual transmission's gear ratio.
No it's not. I get at least 23mpg when I drive majority highway, and that's going between 70 and 80mph. Big increase compared to my typical red light to red light commute.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like above said...your driving a Brick, Toaster. I have noticed a higher speed 65+ progressively reduces my MPG. My best MPG is 55 mph on cruise control...there I can get 22 mpg. Also, took out both back seats and spare tire and definitely noticed better mpg. I have also discovered after 150,000 miles that MEDIUM grade gasoline is worth it. I can reach 22-23mpg and much better performance. All my mechanic friends swear by “once a month, put a full bottle of Techtron in a new tank of gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Does seem odd. A couple of simple things to double-check: tire pressure & spark plugs. Low TP will increase rolling resistance, and quality plugs will ensure a hot spark to get the most energy from the fuel. Also, once you start getting over 65-68mph in an Element, your MPG will start to drop as more fuel is needed to push the boxy profile faster. I also had a '05 manual 5-speed; tracked mpg over 71,000 (mix of city & highway) and averaged 23.687. (Although unlike your situation, my highway road trips got close to 30 mpg.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does seem odd. A couple of simple things to double-check: tire pressure & spark plugs. Low TP will increase rolling resistance, and quality plugs will ensure a hot spark to get the most energy from the fuel. Also, once you start getting over 65-68mph in an Element, your MPG will start to drop as more fuel is needed to push the boxy profile faster. I also had a '05 manual 5-speed; tracked mpg over 71,000 (mix of city & highway) and averaged 23.687. (Although unlike your situation, my highway road trips got close to 30 mpg.)
View attachment 202123
View attachment 202123

To everyone who commented I’m doing the valves and plugs and fuel system clean this week, it’s a 4 cylinder I need awd and it’s a 4 cylinder who cares what the shape is 18 high way no matter my speed 50-80 the gas just drops visibly. Tires good, clutch is good, no leaks, my buddy is a mechanic and has the machine to test everything and all checks where 100% in order and great, only issue is mpg. I feel a slight jerk at high speeds maybe my overdrive isn’t kicking in?

I caculate miles correctly, full tank goes to empty, I fill up and then do the math

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like above said...your driving a Brick, Toaster. I have noticed a higher speed 65+ progressively reduces my MPG. My best MPG is 55 mph on cruise control...there I can get 22 mpg. Also, took out both back seats and spare tire and definitely noticed better mpg. I have also discovered after 150,000 miles that MEDIUM grade gasoline is worth it. I can reach 22-23mpg and much better performance. All my mechanic friends swear by “once a month, put a full bottle of Techtron in a new tank of gas.
I used premium and mod and got 15 mpg which is worse freeway

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
o2 sensor?

How exactly are you calculating mpg? Amazing how many people do it poorly or don't account for a ton of variables that happen daily driving/refilling.
Doing it right, full tank empty fill difference and do the math, did it 20 times with this car and it’s 15-18 mpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I feel something kick in st 68 mpg which feels like the drive train kicking in. I’ve me ruined this to my mechanic and he said it’s not a option for that to happen, maybe it’s my over drive not working or connecting and not connecting? But I feel a slight jerk st 68 mph.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Catalytic converter back pressure? Take out one of the O2 sensors and have a pressure test done for blockage. I speak from experience- 20 years ago, I fixed a doggy, low mpg Malibu wagon by replacing the catalytic converter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts