Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock Xm radio fades in and out as if it has a bad line of sight to the satellite, obstruction to the antenna etc. The message being displayed is "Loading", if it was the antenna it would be "antenna". Note this is not the notorious xm signal satellite mishap, it started before this, and continues after XM/ Sirius resolved the issue. Hopefully some one has incountered this problem as well. PS does anybody know if the antenna goes to a converter before the stock radio, or does it go directly to the radio?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had similar problems with an AudioVox Express EZ unit in my 2004 Odyssey. I recently upgraded from the older Delphi, which has only 8 choices of FM. There is a dearth of open FM frequencies here in south Florida. That older unit worked well when I had a clear FM freq but poorly if there was an existing signal.

The newer EZ can select any FM frequency but reception SUCKs on all of them even the open ones! Antenna placement does not matter.

But the same unit works well in my E since the output goes through the radio AUX.

My wife has the same unit but uses the cassette adapter in her Saturn, which interrupts the radio. It works great!

I ordered the FM Direct Adapter (XMFM1) from XM which uses the vehicles original antenna but interrupts the signal to the radio with the press of a button.

I hope this will cure the problem. I'll report back later once I have it installed.

The tech people at XM admitted the problem was on their end.

s

·
Registered
17 Posts
RE: bad AM

In researching for my upcoming install on a 2010 EX, several posts and articles indicate there is a remote wire lead for the antenna, so it must have some type of relay. But it doesn't necessarily mean it applies to your 2007. There's several good posts here with wiring schematics (Hillstones?, BigAl205) for radios. My girlfriend's new E (2 months now) has the factory XM and reception seems poor compared to my SkiFi2 that I've used in my RAV4/Tundra/home for years. Althought, lately it seems I'm getting a lot of fadeout on the SkiFi and not just on the road, but at home as well. Kind of like the interruptions during solar flares- very annoying. I personally believe the overall signal strenght is down, my signal strenght indicator rarely shows full bar.

Not to detract from the thread but... bh241 if you're still watching this- your diagram shows the XM receiver in the rear, does the XM harness travel back on the passenger-side floor back to the H/U?

·
Registered
20 Posts
2 nd XM antenna

I have built a roof rack for my car that goes over my factory AM/FM- XM antenna which interfears with reciption.....my question........

How do I install a second XM antenna ??? This antenna will be mounted ontop of the roof rack.........:?:?:?:?

Mr Java

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Not to detract from the thread but... bh241 if you're still watching this- your diagram shows the XM receiver in the rear, does the XM harness travel back on the passenger-side floor back to the H/U?
yea, it runs up the right side, under the passengers seat and up to the radio.

xm receiver antenna connection in the one on the left side.
Line Parallel Diagram Drawing

·
Registered
51 Posts
I actually just cancelled my xm subscription about a month ago because I got tired of paying for radio that fades out every time I drove under some trees or down a hill (or beside a hill for that matter).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dude...thanks.....looks like it's not goina be quick and easy project...but it really helps.......thanks again......

Joel

·
Registered
22 Posts
2009 EX Bad XM Radio Reception

Bought vehicle new with factory installed XM radio and antenna.
Lose signal constantly.
Any trees along road or going through a rock cut along the interstate cuts out the signal as well as city driving down streets lined with tall buildings.
Tree lined two lane (especially rural) roads can cut signal for miles.
Live in Northeast PA.
Getting to be not worth the subscription price.
CD player and AM/FM radio work fine.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have dropped service under bridges but not like what you describe. Hit an aftermarket shop and see if the can tell you about the reception in your area. Screw off your antenna and see if the threads are dirty or green. Clean them up with some steel wool and hit it with some WD40 see if that helps! If your still under warranty take it in. This way the issue is on the record.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Screw off your antenna and see if the threads are dirty or green. Clean them up with some steel wool and hit it with some WD40 see if that helps!
FWIW - the 'aerial' part of the antenna you're talking about has nothing to do with the XM reception. - the XM antenna is in the base - ever notice how much larger it is than one without XM?

XM reception is going to be dependent on so many things, even how many clouds are in the sky, or how many leaves are on the trees...

:| It's satellite reception...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts